Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: What have you done for your Rig lately.  (Read 488727 times)

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
Re: What have you done for your Rig lately.
« Reply #585 on: September 11, 2014, 12:29:59 PM »
Yes.  Had to add 1/4" thick, 2"x5" steel plates double-welded to the side of the frame to beef it up.  The legs  and gussets will sit on top of the plate.  RustOleum gloss black paitnt will finish it off.
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re:
« Reply #586 on: September 12, 2014, 10:32:34 PM »
That sounds like a terrible idea
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

SuperSlideStyle

« Reply #587 on: September 12, 2014, 10:58:57 PM »
Sorry you feel that way.  The last sliders I made for my 2000 X were bolt-on but I never removed them.  So why should these be bolt-on too?
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
Re: Re: Re: What have you done for your Rig lately.
« Reply #588 on: September 13, 2014, 05:49:20 AM »
...... last sliders I made.......

And there it is.
    You've been saying skids..As in skid plates.

Got my old skids re-fabbed......

You have to admit, welding on skid plates is a poor choice. (which is what we thought you were doing)

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #589 on: September 13, 2014, 07:05:10 AM »
OH!  I thought he meant skid plates as well!
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #590 on: September 13, 2014, 08:44:02 AM »
Got my old skids re-fabbed and redesigned to fit my 2cnd gen X.  Just need to weld them on this weekend.

Skids...sliders...

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x284/desertcharger_2007/DSC02487-sceneofcrime.jpg
What have you done for your Rig lately.

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t421/food_pron/-Recipes/Parm-Sliders-beauty_580.jpg

...okay.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Toro

Re:
« Reply #591 on: September 13, 2014, 12:15:22 PM »
You really couldn't find a picture of a more appealing slider....

chrishaynesusa

• thenewx
  • 4wd Pts: -35
Re:
« Reply #592 on: September 13, 2014, 02:16:29 PM »

SuperSlideStyle

« Reply #593 on: September 13, 2014, 03:28:42 PM »
Jeez, I really missed that one.  My mistake.  Thanks for catching it!
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #594 on: September 13, 2014, 11:20:10 PM »

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh33/vetmama678/2009-06%20June/2009-06-257.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

• 4wd Pts: 44
  • Education through Pain
    • 04 SAS XTERRA
« Reply #595 on: September 15, 2014, 09:23:07 PM »
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n193/marinecorpwife8/compressor.jpg
It's better to sweat in peace than bleed in war. Death touches all men.

Toro

Re:
« Reply #596 on: October 12, 2014, 07:37:32 PM »
Started throwing a p0447 code. I ripped the evap out, took compressed air to it.... blew out about a pound of dirt...put it together.
   Still threw the code. Took out the purge valve, hit it with carb cleaner, then with silicone lube. Slapped it back in...BAM!
  no mas code.
Easier than I thought.

SoCalXTerry

• 4wd Pts: 54
Re:
« Reply #597 on: October 13, 2014, 05:28:04 PM »
Started throwing a p0447 code. I ripped the evap out, took compressed air to it.... blew out about a pound of dirt...put it together.
   Still threw the code. Took out the purge valve, hit it with carb cleaner, then with silicone lube. Slapped it back in...BAM!
  no mas code.
Easier than I thought.

Thanks Danny.  More and more information about the mysteries of the Nissan products.
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #598 on: October 14, 2014, 09:26:48 PM »
Guru Status...unlocked. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

Cthulhu

• 4wd Pts: 1
« Reply #599 on: October 19, 2014, 01:40:37 PM »
No pictures sorry.

My Shrockworks rear bumper and tire carries arrived on Friday and I installed it all yesterday on my 2013 Pro-4X.   I ordered the thing on August 6 and asked for a delivery before 12/1, so am very happy.

The install went relatively smooth and most of the issues were because I was in a hurry to complete.  I slowed down and amazingly things went better.  Still, the web said a 1 hour job and I did it solo in about 8, counting time spent having to buy really big crescent wrenches for the hinge pin and some nylon washers.

Only major issues were on the nylon gate slider for the swing away tire arm and the actual hinge mechanism for the arm. There are two nylon sliders that need to be installed on the bumper and they cushion the bumper at the latch end of the swing arm.  One of the sliders is compressed between the swing arm and the bumper when the latch is closed.   That's the one with the issue (and why I slowed down).  The nylon slider is held in place with two countersunk flathead screws.  One of the holes was countersunk almost all the way through the nylon.  It works but I had to be careful when tightening the washer and nut.  The other issue is of my own making.  The other screw hole has a threaded insert in it and I managed to cross thread the damn screw.  It was stuck in the hole and the screw head stuck out slightly farther than the nylon slider.  Because of this, the gate hit the screw head and I couldn't engage the latch.  I ended up drilling off the screw head and it all worked out.  When and if it becomes time to replace the nylon slider, I'll drill out the hole and make it all good.

I also had an issue with the gate hinge but chalk this up to either not having the right tools, know-how, or both.  There are brackets on the bumper that the swing gate is placed between. A large bolt is dropped through the top bracket, through the swing gate, and through the bottom bracket, all forming the hinge.  My problem was that two washers were supplied that are placed on the top and bottom of the swing gate and then all are sandwiched between the two brackets.  It's an incredibly tight fit and no matter what I did I couldn't get the holes in the brackets, washers, and swing harm in line enough to drop the large bolt through.  After about an hour, I just finally gave up and bought a couple of nylon washers slightly thinner than the supplied metal washers and the arm went on without a hitch and swings freely.  There's probably a tool or technique that would have made this all go smoothly but I got there in the end.

The only other 'problem' was from the hi-lift jack mount.  The Pro-4X has a backup camera and the camera housing is in the way of hi-lift handle. I solve this by just removing the tubular handle and will carry it inside with the hi-lift base (which is also removed).

I added a nissan trailer harness and used the bracket supplied by Shrockworks to mount the 7-pin plug.  I also spent a couple minutes contemplating using the stock light housing from my factory bumper to light up the license plate but I would have had to modify the housing to fit the hole on the license plate holder.  In the end I just spliced the light unit Shrockworks supplied onto the end of the stock license plate harness and it was good to go.

I tested a trailer hitch I had and the receiver fit perfectly and I was able to use a locking clevis pin to hold it on.

One final issue, and a cautionary note to all.  Wear glasses when laying under the car and pulling stuff off.  I could not believe the amount of dust and dirt.  Virtually everything I touched produced a small sand fall, from the chain fall holding the tire (it removed that whole mechanisms) to the factory housings for the license plate lights.  The spare tire had enough dust on it, that I could have started a garden up there.

A day later, and it all looks great.  I'm towing about 4000 lbs to the top of California (from San Diego) this weekend so that will be the really big test although more of my mechanical abilities than Shrockworks, still, you might want to avoid I-5 this Saturday AM.  Again, the bumper looks great and I couldn't be happier.  Thanks Shrockworks.