Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Coyote flats, funnel lake, green lake (inyo)  (Read 6080 times)

DannyX

• 4wd Pts: 23
  • "LIKE" Me on Facebook.
Coyote flats, funnel lake, green lake (inyo)
« on: August 25, 2016, 09:30:01 AM »

Hey Guys, The wife and I decided to spend our 14 year anniversary doing some exploring. I love the Bishop area and we both have spent many summers and winters tooling around up there.

We started the trip out Thursday eve and stopped in Red Rock for the eve to split the drive up.

Besides some loud neighbors it was a nice little stop!

We headed straight into bishop and grabbed a little breakfast and a couple maps from the ranger station.

Since we got such an early start and were way ahead of our schedule we decided to hit up wild willies hot springs above Crowley lake. They were super hot and we had a nice mid morning soak!

From there we headed back to bishop, Gassed up and drove up to funnel lake. The drive up wasn't to bad. Its a 4WD trail and there are a bunch of rock gardens but nothing that is anything more than uncomfortable bumps. lots of switchbacks. There are a bunch of cool old mines as well along the route and we stopped and had a look!
The weather was great at about 75-80 degrees and we got to our Funnel lake in about 2 hours. Even let the wife take the wheel a little :0
there is a great little camp spot right beside the lake with a little wood table and fire pit(no fires though)

The next morning we made some awesome omelets (pre made and boiled in ziplock)

After breakfast we packed up and headed back to look at the old airstrip (not much more than a big flat area. Lol.
We drove up to green lake from there (11,600 feet) where we were greeted with some amazing views!!!

We parked at the ridge overlooking the lake (as far as you can go)
It was only about noon so we packed a couple day bags and hiked the mile down to the lake with snacks chairs and fishing poles.
The lake is one of the most beautiful I have seen in a while. Complete with a Baja step like beach area and a island you can walk out to.

We spent an amazing afternoon at the lake. Had a swim, napped, read some books, and generally relaxed to the max! The hike up in the eve was a little taxing because of the elevation and it's pretty steep but not to bad.
We cooked up a little dinner and turned in for the eve.
The next morning we headed out and back down to bishop where we stopped at an amazing new BBQ joint and gorged ourselves on premium aimed meats.
All in all this was one of the best overland trips I have ever been on. It seamed to have a little bit of everything I love about the area! I highly suggest checking it out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"LIKE" Me on Facebook.

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
Re: Coyote flats, funnel lake, green lake (inyo)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 09:35:18 AM »
sounds like blast out there!

beedee

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 11:02:20 AM »
Wow, sounds like a great getaway! Thanks for the write-up and pix!

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 12:10:51 PM »
looks nice and relaxing , cool pics ,
 thanks for sharing Danny
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 01:54:42 PM »
Great getaway, thanks for sharing.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 01:55:24 PM »
Great trip report Danny! And happy anniversary to you and the Mrs.

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 02:33:55 PM »
Look like a great place to plan a Fall or Spring excursion.
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

GreenAcres

• 4wd Pts: 9
    • 2007 XTerra Off Road
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 11:27:58 PM »
Looks great! We just finished spending some time around Bishop as well. No off-roading or camping (aargh), but an excellent time fishing Sabrina Lake and the stream below it. I'll definitely keep these areas you've mentioned in mind the next time we go up that way.