Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Any one ever done Dedeckera Canyon?  (Read 7711 times)

Aperion

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: 12
Any one ever done Dedeckera Canyon?
« on: February 03, 2009, 06:16:33 PM »
Steel Pass / Dedeckera Canyon sounds interesting (ie middle of no where) but information is hard to find, Has any one here ever done it? How doable would it be with snow? with chains ? Let me know what you think, Thanks!

xtoolbox

• 4wd Pts: 10
Re: Any one ever done Dedeckera Canyon?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 08:10:05 PM »
Yes, this dec and last year also.   

Even with the snow this year still easy, one of the trucks this year was basically stock: no lift, no sliders, stock tires, no problems at all.

The dunes are right before/after depending on direction and fun to climb on (on foot of course).

Go for it and any thing else in DVNP.

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 08:18:27 PM »
It's a neat passage.  Some neat stuff to see, side spurs and hikes.  There's a bathtub with a bunch of blue marbles at some point; lots of local lore in that area.  Eureka dunes just past that is worth the trip right there.

If you head in through Saline Road, then in at the bat rock road sign, you'll end up at the hot springs.  There's camp spots right there around the first spring, but just a bit up the road on the left there's a little mini "ridge" and the first spot is a nice place to camp with a touch of a west wind break, without other spots on top of you.

Snow or not, I don't think you'd have any issue with it.  There's one little stair step part, but it's pretty mild.

This guy has some neat trip info; scroll down and he's got steele pass and the swansea gordo trail.

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/

I also recommend the book "Death Valley SUV Trails" by Roger Mitchell; I found it at Barnes & Noble.  It has great info about the Saline side and that region.  Make a side trip to the salt tram with your camera.

Also check out deathvalley.com.  The forum there has good up-to-date road info and there's a link to the Death Valley MOrning Report, a pdf put up every day with condition info.
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

Aperion

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: 12
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 10:45:20 PM »
It's a neat passage.  Some neat stuff to see, side spurs and hikes.  There's a bathtub with a bunch of blue marbles at some point; lots of local lore in that area.  Eureka dunes just past that is worth the trip right there.

If you head in through Saline Road, then in at the bat rock road sign, you'll end up at the hot springs.  There's camp spots right there around the first spring, but just a bit up the road on the left there's a little mini "ridge" and the first spot is a nice place to camp with a touch of a west wind break, without other spots on top of you.

Snow or not, I don't think you'd have any issue with it.  There's one little stair step part, but it's pretty mild.

This guy has some neat trip info; scroll down and he's got steele pass and the swansea gordo trail.

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/

I also recommend the book "Death Valley SUV Trails" by Roger Mitchell; I found it at Barnes & Noble.  It has great info about the Saline side and that region.  Make a side trip to the salt tram with your camera.

Also check out deathvalley.com.  The forum there has good up-to-date road info and there's a link to the Death Valley MOrning Report, a pdf put up every day with condition info.
Thanks Bobby, most of the pictures and status updates I found were from 2002...

Yes, this dec and last year also.  

Even with the snow this year still easy, one of the trucks this year was basically stock: no lift, no sliders, stock tires, no problems at all.

The dunes are right before/after depending on direction and fun to climb on (on foot of course).

Go for it and any thing else in DVNP.
Good to know a stocker got through fine, we should be good but I'll probably pick up some chains, just in case.

over all I think they maid the trail sound harder than what you guys are describing, still, better safe than sorry.