Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Borrego: Feb. 13-16  (Read 18365 times)

strikedistance

• 4wd Pts: 1
    • 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 Diesel 4x4
Borrego: Feb. 13-16
« on: February 02, 2009, 11:03:02 PM »
I noticed the Death Valley run for that weekend but i am planning on Camping that weekend in Borrego with my father. Just wondering if anyone is up for a day run or maybe a camping trip.
Let me know.
Bruce

fleury123

• 4wd Pts: 3
Re: Borrego: Feb. 13-16
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 01:00:47 PM »
I am a maybe. I have to see what happens later this week. I have been injured and well I got in trouble since I was still doing PT. So I am a possible.

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 05:55:23 PM »
I'd do it for a day.  Sure, I'm in.  Where do we meet and what time?  I'll be coming down the 15 fwy. so what's the best way to get there?
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

fleury123

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 08:23:24 PM »
I am a maybe. I have to see what happens later this week. I have been injured and well I got in trouble since I was still doing PT. So I am a possible.

day trip as well. I am in for now.

FrankB

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 10:58:29 PM »
Bruce,

I'm busy Saturday, but may be able to come out there for Sunday and/or Monday. Did you have any specific places in mind, besides Calcite Mine and camping at the dump?

The area around Buttes Pass Road that we drove through last weekend was pretty nice. I hear there is a nice primitive camp area off of Buttes Pass Road called Hawk Canyon. Hard to say how crowded it will be given that it's a holiday weekend.  Also, Borrego Mountain Wash coming from San Felipe Wash was pretty scenic, with a little waterfall to climb up towards the back. We did not go to the end (it becomes one-way the other way at some point) but I think we were pretty close.  At least that is what the old guy who was mapping the area for orienteering told us. The Slot sounds like a fun hike, but again may be crowded.

When you say you camp by the dump are you down in the Borrego Sink someplace?  Is that in the State Park boundary, or in the non-park area of Borrego Springs?

strikedistance

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 09:31:41 PM »
Sounds good Chris hope to see you out there.

Frank- All i know is that im going to be out there for at least two nights. Don't know the details except for yes we plan on going to Calcite Mine. I really would like to do what you did though last weekend. I also want to go to the southern end of the park and find that railroad track bridge mentioned in another post.
Oh and the dump is my secret spot. sorry :)

Oh and if anyone is interested in seeing the wildlife ie insects, reptiles and mammals i will but out there looking for them.

FrankB

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 12:06:43 AM »
Bruce,

I would like to go back and explore more of the area we were in last Sunday. 

I think that if Chris can make it he might really like Sandstone Canyon.  If he can come out on Sunday maybe we can head over there so he can see it.

You mentioned railroad tracks in the south part of the park. Are you thinking Dos Cabezas (an easy drive down Mortero Wash from S-2) or the hike to Goat Canyon Trestle (which also starts down a little past there)?  You're probably thinking Goat Canyon. Do a google search on it and you should find hiking directions. I may also have a guidebook listing, I'll take a look and let you know. There are two routes, one a strenuous day trip, the other looks to be a 2-day trip.  The main thing is being careful where you park, and being aware of the possibility of either vehicle break-in or other run-ins with illegals.

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 07:58:24 AM »
It looks like I won't be able to make it that weekend.  Anything else coming late Feb. or early March?
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

FrankB

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 09:27:51 AM »
It looks like I won't be able to make it that weekend.  Anything else coming late Feb. or early March?

I don't know if any of the regular (3rd weekend) club runs will be to Anza Borrego this Spring, as we were there in November. There are lots of other places people like to go this time of year, such as DV, Bradshaw Trail, Mojave Road, etc and only so many 3rd weekends left before it gets too hot in the desert. We try to spread it around so there is something for everyone.

That said, I make several trips out there during the cool season, as do others. For example, I get the feeling Bruce practically lives out there.  I think last season I organized 5 or 6 trips, maybe more. Most of them were easy day trips, more for scenery than crawling over rocks.  I generally try to post in the Xcursions Forum when I am thinking of going out there, anyone is welcome to tag along.  Sometimes I set up smaller trips with more of a specific focus, such as photographing something in particular. Those don't always get posted in advance, but if you see something that interests just ask.

If you have a specific date you want to go, or place you would like to visit, you can put up a post and see who is interested.  If you're not sure of the type or difficultly level of a particular trail or area just ask.

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 07:38:53 PM »
Any idea where this months outing will be ?
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

fleury123

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 07:40:56 PM »
Bruce,

I think that if Chris can make it he might really like Sandstone Canyon.  If he can come out on Sunday maybe we can head over there so he can see it.

not to sure on sunday, got some homework to finish so its either or on the days

FrankB

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 02:04:22 PM »
Bruce,

not to sure on sunday, got some homework to finish so its either or on the days

Chris, if Saturday is the day that works best for you I can skip what I was going to do that day and meet you out there.  Were you thinking of camping, or just a day trip?  Heather is liking the idea of heading to AB, but has to work on Monday. She'll probably come along on Saturday or Sunday. If the weather is nice I may just head back out there on Monday as well, since I have the day off.

strikedistance

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 03:05:47 PM »
well we will have to see if im better just got back from the doctor for the second time this week. My sinus infecting and brinchitis turned into phnomonia...

FrankB

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 04:49:11 PM »
Bruce, that sucks. Hope you get better soon.  Is "phnomonia" anything like pneumonia?  If so, get it taken care of soon before it gets any worse.

strikedistance

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 04:55:34 PM »
sorry im out of it. codine in the cough medicine. I meant sinus infection and bronchitis turned into pneumonia.