Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Suspension install needed, local shops  (Read 5935 times)

x4dblduty

• 4wd Pts: 2
    • 2006 Off Road Granite
Suspension install needed, local shops
« on: December 05, 2018, 08:57:49 AM »
Hey all, I need someone to install my PRG Advanced SPC kit, includes the UCA, Radflow coilovers, camber bolts and rear Deaver 2 leaf. Alignment I think can be done by any reputable shop. Any suggestions for a shop or individual?  I can't have it done at my location (Chino Hills), so anywhere in surrounding areas will be fine.  San Diego is too far btw ;)

Thanks for any leads. 

NOTE: I don't want just ANY shop that is not familiar with Xterras, hence looking here for suggestions.  Most shops I know around here, like Saints Offroad, are familiar with Jeeps, like most shops are.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Re: Suspension install needed, local shops
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 11:25:23 AM »
This topic comes up quite often. Unfortunately, there aren't really any specialty offroad shops in our area that are familiar with Nissans, especially Xterras. This is why most of us end up doing our own work, as it's an extremely niche market and we don't get much support.

The good news is that the folks on this forum are ALWAYS willing to lend a hand turning wrenches, as long as you're willing to put in some elbow grease yourself and learn as you go. We don't have any active members right in the Chino Hills area, but there are plenty of Orange County or Inland Empire folks that would be more than willing to help, myself included. Usually, this type of request turns into a "mod day," where several of us get together and folks bring all sorts of projects from small to big.

The amount of work you've described is easily doable in a single day with about 3 or 4 helping hands. Again, I'll offer my place (in Murrieta) if there's no one else that wants to host, but we'd have to wait until after Christmas as I'm pretty booked up with family obligations every weekend between now and then. My house is also not the most ideal to host a full mod day if there will be more projects thank just yours, as only one rig will fit in my garage at a time and my driveway is too steep for a vehicle to be on a jack or jack stands. So if there is more interest in a full-on mod day, we'll have to find somewhere else to do it.

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 03:49:45 PM »
I'm usually the OC guy, but as Joe said I'm also booked until after the first of the year.  Works got me traveling almost every week.  It's not a simple job but with he right tools and people it can be done pretty quickly.  You may want to invest in some extend brake lines before you start tearing down.  The lift has a tendency to put a little more strain on them.

If you can't find a shop, hit me up after New Years.
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 04:06:38 PM »
I'm always down to help for a mod day.  Joe or Woody's house would certainly bring out some helping hands.

On the other hand, if you can't wait, any shop can do the work.  It's not any different than putting a lift kit on a Toyota (or any IFS leaf sprung vehicle for that matter)

Coilovers bolt right in, UCAs bolt right in, cam bolts... bolt right in.  For the rear, it's an add-a-leaf and shackles.  Again, bolts right in.
The ONLY sort of custom work that doesn't involve a wrench or socket would be grinding the passengers side coil bucket a little. 
With SPC arms and radflos (PRG Advanced Kit) some people have a bit of contact with the little boot on the balljoint. 

I'm a retard and with the help of the guys on the board was able to figure it out.  That was over 100k miles ago.
If I can do it, a professional offroad shop can do it.  :D

Good luck!  If you decide to have a mod day, I'll do my best to show up and lend a hand. 

ETA: does Steve-o at Rugged Rocks do lift installs?  He's the most Nissan Nissan guy I know of!  Or maybe King Kenny?  Or Spencer's friends shop?
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

x4dblduty

• 2006 Off Road Granite
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 08:00:41 AM »
Great inputs guys and really do apprec the offers for a mod day. Just to know, I do wrench on cars, still working on my 240Z RB build, and have been in the Datsun/Nissan family forever :) that's why keeping the Xterra and won't jump into the Jeep crowd. 

The only areas I'm not familiar with Xterra susp work are:  how much to trim off the pass coil bucket, how best to remove the driver UCA bolt with steering in the way, and I suppose using PB Blaster the night before on all bolts?  I think the rear leaf mod should be easy enough.  These types of 'tips' from someone in the know sure helps.

I'd gladly pay someone or a shop to do this work, of course with my helping hand to get it done quicker.  Early January will work.

GeoD

• 4wd Pts: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 09:55:52 AM »
I just thew on a complete OME kit and I would love to help as the job is still fresh in my mind. I even bought a 20v impact wrench that made quick work of stubborn bolts. I want to get my money's worth with that thing and helping other X owners seems like the best way to do it. Keep me posted!

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 01:52:06 PM »
Welcome to the forum GeoD!

Please feel free to head over to the "Welcome Center" section and post up a little about yourself and your rig!

x4dblduty

• 2006 Off Road Granite
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 03:25:56 PM »
Thanks GeoD. When I get all my parts from PRG I’m going to give it a try to install the UCAs Radflos, Deaver etc. Maybe we can set up a time together and wrench!

GeoD

• 4wd Pts: 0
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 01:16:09 PM »
Thanks JFanaselle! You got it x4mtwhl.

x4dblduty

• 2006 Off Road Granite
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 07:05:00 PM »
Thanks JFanaselle! You got it x4mtwhl.

Really apprec all the inputs and offers, friend and I went ahead and tackled the job, complete with cutting off the UCA bolt, grinding coil buckets, etc. Job was done in 5 hrs with some breaks, just the front end for now.  Alignment shows I don't need the camber bolts after all. Yes

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 11:04:39 PM »
Nice work!

3rdhandedX

• 05 X
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 05:23:22 PM »
sweet setup ~ how does it ride ?

x4dblduty

• 2006 Off Road Granite
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 06:03:19 PM »
Surprisingly still smooth and much better damping, soaks up bumps nicely. Only on rough broken concrete (small bumps) that I can definitely notice a little more jiggliness.  But then again I'm starting conservative, don't have heavy plate bumpers yet, 600 lb Radflos now.  Will upgrade to 650 when the need comes, or 700 if winched.

Drew117

• 4wd Pts: 1
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 08:46:06 PM »
Check out My Autoworx, out in RSM. The guy did my “gonemoab” for 900 and had me come back in fore after 500+ miles to make sure everything was perfect.

x4dblduty

• 2006 Off Road Granite
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 07:21:16 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Got the rear Deavers / Bilsteins, PRG 3 deg shims installed, thank goodness for a retired buddy to help me out ;)  No issues she's holding strong after some Anza wheeling.

Rear tire carrier (Shrock) and Hefty alum front on order......  :D

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 11:38:16 AM by x4dblduty »