Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Joe's Xterra  (Read 114307 times)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Re: Joe's Xterra
« Reply #165 on: March 30, 2017, 03:29:04 PM »
another option would be to have your rack lowered, you could have all the uprights on the basket cut, maybe an inch or two and welded back together.

I thought about this, and even talked with a fabricator already. They believed it would be more work than it was worth. Since it's already powercoated, they'd have to grind away the PC in all the spots where they had to re-weld, and then it would need to be finished again (either painted or powdercoated). He also mentioned that sometimes with aluminum, the powdercoat penetrates the metal pretty deep and it becomes difficult to get a good, strong weld without removing a good amount of material (this was all my neighbor that you met, by the way, so I don't think he was blowing smoke up my behind). He recommended removing the entire side rails behind the front "basket" area and just welding a new bar from the basket to the (now flat) platform area. I don't really like that plan, because it wasn't designed to be strong as just a platform, and without the side rails it could flex pretty bad with weight on it.

In the end, it would end up costing me much more than just selling it and buying a new one. If I could weld myself and had a hookup on powdercoating, it would be worth it. Plus, I'm liking that frontrunner rack more and more as I keep looking at it. I like that it's wider, which would move my awning another 6 or so inches off the side of the rig. With the shape of the Xterra body, I lose almost a foot of floor space in my shelter/room that attaches to the awning, and it proved to be a little bit of an issue when we used it camping last time. I think the flat shape would give me some of my MPGs back as well, as would moving the light bar under the front of the rack like Toro and PainRoller have theirs. I went from 10 MPG to 11 MPG just by swapping out my front bumper. If I could get another 1 MPG out of a lower profile roof rack, I'd be happy. :)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #166 on: March 30, 2017, 03:37:40 PM »
We could jackhammer and trench your garage floor 3 inches deep, pass and driver's side...boom... :D
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #167 on: March 31, 2017, 05:00:46 AM »
12 MPG? Geeez man, even I get gooder gas mileage than that, you need to reef your sails buddy.
Isaiah 6:8

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #168 on: March 31, 2017, 09:37:45 PM »
Or...air down to garage park.  A bit of a hassle, but cheaper than re-welding or demo-ing your garage... :D

I tried this in Big Bear, needed a little bit to fit my x in the 8ft tall garage with the RTT on top.  It did not work, I still needed another 1/4" and I was at around 10psi.  I had to park outside in the snow, it was icy and up hill both ways. 
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #169 on: April 24, 2017, 05:06:38 PM »
Got my compressor mounted in a new location (it needed a new home ever since I swapped out my front bumper). It lives behind the grill now. This is just another version of what many others have done. Mine is very simple... just uses a couple pieces of "angle iron" that is normally used to mount garage door openers. I drilled a hole and fitted one air line connector on the top of the front bumper (in addition to the one that I already have running to the rear bumper). With the grill re-installed, you can barely even see the compressor behind it. You really have to look hard to spot it. I like this location, but will be keeping an eye on my operating temperatures going forward. As I said, many others have mounted compressors in this same location and haven't had any issues with heating up, but I did notice a coolant smell after a little shakedown run last night, and I want to make sure I'm not blocking too much airflow to the radiator.

I also installed my fog lights in the new front bumper (they were awaiting the arrival of some OEM brackets), and installed a 20" single-row light bar. Finally, I blacked out my grill and hit it with a few coats of matte clear coat.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #170 on: April 24, 2017, 06:41:00 PM »
Looks good Joe, Nice clean work
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #171 on: April 24, 2017, 06:55:40 PM »
JF, that's a nice install job. They are awlays difficult to find where to mount things on the Xterra. The only thing besides what you mentioned is trying to keep that compressor cool. They like cool air around them if you run them hard and you'll have to keep the motor running when using for things like airing up your tires. Hopefully it won't create any issues and everything runs nice and smooth.
Isaiah 6:8

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #172 on: April 24, 2017, 07:03:26 PM »
Clean install Joe...love the stealthy grille.  8)
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #173 on: February 21, 2018, 09:36:38 AM »
Took advantage of the holiday day off on Monday, as the boy and I went up to Big Bear and romped around in the snow for a bit. It was 15 degrees and the snow was falling hard. About 2 inches fell in the hour that we were up there, and there was at least 3 inches on the ground as we made our way back down the 38 into Redlands. It ended up taking us 3 hours to get down the hill, going about 8 miles per hour the entire way. The road was super slick, and they shut it down while we were up there (only a few of us made it through, but the Xterra did great. I LOVE my Wrangler Duratrac tires... this is exactly why I keep them over the KO2s :)) We stopped to check on several accidents and stuck vehicles, but everyone was ok and had help on the way. I did manage to pull off the road and snap a couple of photos.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:42:41 AM by JFanaselle »

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #174 on: February 21, 2018, 09:53:17 AM »
As always, great pictures.  I miss driving in the snow.  These desert trip just don't do it for me.
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #175 on: February 21, 2018, 10:49:03 AM »
Nice pics Joe.

I’ve been down the 38 when it’s snowing...dicey at best, glad you’re equipped!
KD6DCI

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #176 on: February 21, 2018, 10:58:37 AM »
I LOVE the idea of snow adventuring. 
It's the driving up and down the mountain roads that has me scared.

I was in a rental Impala up in Idaho last winter.  Light went yellow a quarter mile in front of me while traveling 35mph.  Slid right through the intersection.  Absolutely terrifying. 

Great pics Joe.  I'd love to edit one of those raw files.  Lots of opportunity for moody muted colors.  Like ALL the popular photos on instagram, lol
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

beedee

« Reply #177 on: February 21, 2018, 11:01:16 AM »
Great pix Joe, and I'm sure even better memories for you and your son!

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #178 on: February 21, 2018, 11:09:59 AM »
Well done Joe, I love snow... in your photos or looking up from a dry valley :-[
Snow and especially ice scare me, cuz you can't always see it.  I'm sure it's a control (or lack there of) issue for me.
It's the same reason that I don't swim in the same ocean as sharks.  I want to go down fighting, not screaming.  It's the Viking in me.  OK, scared Viking.  Oh, where was I?  Yeah, very pretty snow Joe.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #179 on: February 21, 2018, 08:34:04 PM »
Very Nice your Rig looks awesome against the snow
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch