Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Mountain Express  (Read 11741 times)

zaphos

• 4wd Pts: 5
    • 2001 Xterra SE 4x4
Re: Mountain Express
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2021, 11:18:32 AM »
Yup, we're all good. Bunkered in here at the casa aside from some weekend trips. Gives me time to work on projects. I was literally on the freeway on my way to a LandOps event when the heads let go. At least they blew down here rather than 4 hours up the freeway or out in the middle of nowhere. That would have sucked.

You guys all good? Whats the new news?

Been away for a while.
Destination unknown but I'm on my way.

KI6EBQ

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2021, 07:51:17 PM »
That really stinks about those heads. Post up what you end up doing. I know eventually I'll have to replace the motor and was thinking about going your route.
Isaiah 6:8

zaphos

• 4wd Pts: 5
    • 2001 Xterra SE 4x4
Back in service
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 07:44:36 PM »
O.K., went with a JDM engine and they had to swap a lot of parts around so it ended up as a JDM block/ heads with US intake/ headers/ accessories/ bolt-ons. Runs like a champ and makes more power. Old engine could have been tired too (170,000 miles). All the emissions stuff bolted on O.K. There is a lot voodoo guessing online about the difference between JDM and US spec but I suspect there is a little more bump in the cam (sounds and pulls like it). He also relocated the damn knock sensor to the back of the block in the process so I can get at the thing.

$1000.00 engine
$2000.00 install
~$1000.0 new timing belt/ water pump/ distributer/ misc new parts.

So I'll beat on her for another 5 years and see if its time for model upgrade. By then, I'm hoping the Rivian/ Cyber truck will actually exist in the used truck market :) .

Destination unknown but I'm on my way.

KI6EBQ

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2021, 05:08:16 AM »
Sounds good, thanks for the updates. I have been thinking what route I'll go when the time comes.
Isaiah 6:8