Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: ArchanJoel's Xterra  (Read 5945 times)

ArchanJoel

• 4wd Pts: 0
    • 2006 4WD Off-Road
ArchanJoel's Xterra
« on: December 29, 2016, 02:48:23 PM »
Joined SCCX: Dec 12, 2016
Username:  ArchanJoel
Year:  2006
Make:  Nissan
Model:  Xterra
Trim:  4WD Off Road
Color:  Night Armor Pearl - Paint Code (K26)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

MODS:

Tires:

Ironman All Country A/T - 265/75R16 116T

Cooling:

SMOD radiator bypass with added Torqflo Transmission Oil Cooler to OEM Air Cooler

Recovery:

Smittybilt 2 inch Receiver Mounted D-Ring Shackle
Smittybilt Tree Saver 4in x 20ft - CC420 (40,000 lbs. Rating)

Air:

MV50 SuperFlow High-Volume 12-Volt, 120 PSI
ARB E-Z Deflator ARB505

Interior:

Husky Liners - Heavy Duty Floor Mats

Communications:

Uniden PRO520XL 40-Channel
WILSON 305-38 300-Watt Little Wil Magnet Mount Antenna
CB Power Cord 12V 3-Pin Replacement
Astatic PDC1 100 Watt SWR/RF Test Meter

Next Mods

Bilstein 5100 shocks?

Comments: 

Got my CB gear!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 02:15:20 PM by ArchanJoel »

beedee

Re: ArchanJoel's Xterra
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 07:40:27 PM »
Nice job man. I highly recommend testing the ARB Deflator out at home before heading out to the dirt. My first one wouldn't grab the valve core and I had to borrow someone else's. I eventually returned it and grabbed a new one. I tested it out on some tires on the showroom floor before I left to make sure it worked. And now it only works on 3 of my four tires when I used it yesterday.

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 12:46:22 AM »
great start!

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 07:17:42 AM »
     Great looking rig. Looks like some Christmas loot you got there.
     Now you have to go get yourself in a situation where you might need some of that gear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ArchanJoel

• 2006 4WD Off-Road
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 01:38:36 PM »
Nice job man. I highly recommend testing the ARB Deflator out at home before heading out to the dirt. My first one wouldn't grab the valve core and I had to borrow someone else's. I eventually returned it and grabbed a new one. I tested it out on some tires on the showroom floor before I left to make sure it worked. And now it only works on 3 of my four tires when I used it yesterday.

Hey Beedee, it's funny you should say that because I couldn't get a lot of air moving the first time I tried it. So, I went back to 4 Wheeled Parts and had the guy demo it in the store to make sure it worked.

On your advice, I just tested it on all 4 tires and it works great! I aired down 25% (which equals 25.5 psi for a 36 psi recommended vehicle, right?) and drove over a island in my parking lot at work (First WHEEL'EN! :P ) to test out how it felt. It was fine and then I aired back up with my new MV50 and drove over the same island and it pretty much felt the same...  ???

Toro

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 02:30:46 PM »
If you want the advantages of airing down, you have to go down to all east 12...if not more.

ArchanJoel

• 2006 4WD Off-Road
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 02:57:35 PM »
If you want the advantages of airing down, you have to go down to all east 12...if not more.

How low can I go with stock wheels?

Toro

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 03:27:45 PM »
With E rated tires....you can safely go down to 10. With D tires about 12-15.
   Absolutely no flooring it or full throttle doughnuts while aired down like this on OE wheels.

beedee

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 01:36:37 PM »
I always do 20psi when I air down. It takes the edge off the chatter and offers a slightly wider footprint.

Glad that the deflator has worked out for ya! At first it seems tricky but once you do it on all four tires you feel like a pro the next time out.

ArchanJoel

• 2006 4WD Off-Road
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 10:19:37 AM »
Hey Xers,

Would one of you knowledgeable guys be willing to get some lunch sometime and take a test drive in my X to give me an evaluation and make recommendations?

I work in Anaheim.

ArchanJoel

• 2006 4WD Off-Road
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 10:36:42 AM »
The reason I ask for a physical observation is to get a proper evaluation since this is my first 4x4. It drives quite comfortable but when I hit a dip or at hit speeds, just a small bump, it feels like my X is hitting fairly hard in the back. Is it because I'm bottoming out or is it just the stiff suspension?

If I don't plan on getting a body lift for a long time, should I just get new Bilstein 4600s or should I get 5100s so I can have the option in the future? I think I heard that a Bilstein 5100 suspension-only lift does work, but causes a very jarring ride but just want to confirm. If that is the case then new 4600s seem to be in order.

Thanks for your time.

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 11:22:08 AM »
your driver side rear shock looks blown. I say replace them.

beedee

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 12:49:20 PM »
The reason I ask for a physical observation is to get a proper evaluation since this is my first 4x4. It drives quite comfortable but when I hit a dip or at hit speeds, just a small bump, it feels like my X is hitting fairly hard in the back. Is it because I'm bottoming out or is it just the stiff suspension?

If I don't plan on getting a body lift for a long time, should I just get new Bilstein 4600s or should I get 5100s so I can have the option in the future? I think I heard that a Bilstein 5100 suspension-only lift does work, but causes a very jarring ride but just want to confirm. If that is the case then new 4600s seem to be in order.

Thanks for your time.

That rear shock does look like it has spewed some oil. Also, X's are notorious for having weak OEM leaf springs, they tend to blow out sooner than later, so that could be part of your issue with bottoming out.

Regarding the 4600 vs the 5100, you will get a bit more droop/articulation with the 5100, most are made for at least 0-1 or 0-2 inches of lift. From what I have gathered you won't notice much of a performance difference between the 4600 and 5100. The 4600 will save you a few bucks as they are a little cheaper. Another option is to find a set of Pro-4x rear shocks with low miles that someone has taken off. They are a "special" Bilstein model spec'ed for Nissan, somewhere between a 4600 and 5100 I believe?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:54:08 PM by beedee »