Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Feeler:Goat Canyon Trestle off-road, camping, mountain biking  (Read 17786 times)

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re: Feeler:Goat Canyon Trestle off-road, camping, mountain biking
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2018, 09:52:08 AM »
Bring an extra tube or 2 for your tire size, water and snacks.

I wouldn't worry about tools, I have tire levers and a bike specific multitool that I always have with me.

I would say this ride is pretty easy since it's a very small grade or flat going to the bridge, going back is even easier cause it's downhill. 
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2018, 10:03:14 AM »
Thanks for the reassurance Jordan. I'll get some tubes and maybe learn a thing or two about what tools to buy from you. Everything I've read says it's a super easy ride, but all those reviews are coming from people who ride regularly, which is not me. I did see one article that said you could do almost the entire thing on a beach cruiser, so I guess I'll be ok.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2018, 10:35:11 AM »
As this trip approaches, I'm starting to get a bit nervous. I know that most of you guys are seasoned MTB folks, and I'm not even a rookie. I'd hate to be "that guy" who derails this trip or makes it not fun for the remainder of the group. So any advice or help you can give me now will be very beneficial. Here are my main concerns:

1) I am not familiar with the kinds of supplies or equipment I need to have on me when riding. The research I've done shows this is about a 14 mile round-trip ride, does that sound correct? I literally have nothing but a bike and a helmet. If someone can give me some pointers about what to bring with me, that would be great. I do own a hydration backpack that I will bring, but what about bike repair supplies? Should I bring an extra tube? Extra tire? Extra chain? I have some basic tools I can bring (multi-tool, etc.), but don't really own any bicycle specific tools (for chains, tires, etc.). The previous owner did have a small pump which he left on the bike for me, so I guess I do own that as far as tools. I'm ok with buying whatever I need, I just need to know what I need.  :P

2) I'm horribly out of shape, and I haven't done any more than riding my bike around the neighborhood within the past couple of years. And I haven't been on it AT ALL within the past 4 months. I've been trying to get on it and get some riding done so I can be confident in my endurance again, but long days at work and cold, dark evenings have put a damper on those plans. I guess I just need some reassurance that I won't be the guy who's holding up the group or making this trip a real bummer for everyone. If it's more of an advanced group or advanced ride, I'm perfectly fine with being told it's not for me. Just let me know that now so I don't make it a bad day for everyone. If you guys are ok with me being the fat guy that never rides who is tagging along and making you all wait for me, then so be it.

My bike is a Specialized Hard Rock, I'm pretty sure it's a 2000 year model (it looks exactly like this one: https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searchlistingdetail.aspx?id=45643).

Joe...how tall are you?

I'm not making this trip, just too much going on.  However, I'd be willing to loan you my Specialized Stumpjumper FSR (full suspension) rig for the weekend, which would make your ride much more manageable.  It fits riders from 5'9 to 6'1 tall.

It runs tubeless tires, so that limits your risk of flats as it is a self sealing style of wheelset when it comes to punctures.  Since I'm not rolling with this trip, I'd also be willing to loan you my Dakine 3L hydration pack, that is already styled with an extra tube and tools to fix stuff.

We would need to swap your pedals off of your bikes, as mine sports clipless Shimano style pedals.  That's easy, I have a pedal wrench at my house...we could set up a time to swap pedals/bikes before the trip. 

We are back in town next Monday, text me if your interested and we can set up a meet time.

You would want comfortable riding shorts, a pair of gloves, sunscreen, and possibly some CLIF bars for the ride.

Anything else I'm missing Jordan?
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2018, 11:48:30 AM »
That's a very generous offer JT. I'll shoot you a text next week when you're back in town and we can plan some time for me to stop by. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't terrified of damaging your bike in some way, as I'm sure it costs much more than an entire paycheck or two of mine. But I'd like to at the very least pick your brain about the topic in general. Like I said, I just want to make sure I don't turn into "that guy." Everyone in this group is all too familiar with the people who have never been camping or offroading in their life, and show up at the trailhead with no supplies or gear, and expect the rest of us to be their general store and give them every lesson they need to be an expert by the end of the day. I'm excited to do this trip, because it seems like a great opportunity to participate in an easy and fun ride with a few experts that might get me more into the sport. But I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2018, 01:03:47 PM »
That's a very generous offer JT. I'll shoot you a text next week when you're back in town and we can plan some time for me to stop by. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't terrified of damaging your bike in some way, as I'm sure it costs much more than an entire paycheck or two of mine. But I'd like to at the very least pick your brain about the topic in general. Like I said, I just want to make sure I don't turn into "that guy." Everyone in this group is all too familiar with the people who have never been camping or offroading in their life, and show up at the trailhead with no supplies or gear, and expect the rest of us to be their general store and give them every lesson they need to be an expert by the end of the day. I'm excited to do this trip, because it seems like a great opportunity to participate in an easy and fun ride with a few experts that might get me more into the sport. But I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Cool Joe...let's chat.  If I haven't broken it yet, you'll certainly have a tough time crossing that line. 

We are back on Sunday, I'll shoot you a text on Monday/Tuesday.  If I forget, hit me up.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2018, 03:24:34 PM »
I just now looked at Joe's bike and agree John's FS bike would make a much more enjoyable day vs a full rigid bike. 

Oh I did forget riding shorts, honestly a set of padded liner riding shorts will go a long way to making your butt less sore after the ride, I'm not going to tell you it will eliminate it cause you haven't ridden much but it will make it better.  They can be pricey but there are reasonable(sub $50) options available. You can get shorts that include a padded liner or just the padded liner and wear a pair of shorts you already own.
Jordan - K6XTE

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2018, 03:28:22 PM »
Where is the meet spot that Sunday ??
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2018, 03:45:49 PM »
we could meet you at the water tower sunday morning.

https://goo.gl/maps/kEob2yga6Nx

We will most likely be camped out just south of there somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:47:31 PM by knightrider »
Jordan - K6XTE

G.B.H.

• 4wd Pts: -21
    • 08 xterra se
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2018, 06:52:04 PM »
I found a bike. Not the greatest and a tad too small but it will do. I'm heading out to the desert Thursday for a hiking driving camp trip. Head home Friday night. If all goes well I'll be able to head back out Saturday. Always wanted to see the trestle. Never thought about doing it by bike. Great Idea.

G.B.H.
G.B.H.

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2018, 02:26:49 PM »
A few things:

1) I was reminded of a prior engagement on Saturday night (work party), so I'm out for camping. But I'm still in for the ride on Sunday, and I'll just meet at the same water tower as Jayrat. Just let me know when you finalize a time.

2) I may have talked Toro into coming on the ride as well, but I think he needs just a little more persuasion. Jordan- you should hit him up and seal the deal. :)

3) I have a very small case for my drone that will fit into my hydration pack, and will be bringing it along to capture some epic photos and video of the bridge (and our group at the bridge), if that's ok with you guys.

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2018, 03:44:09 PM »
Well I guess since we are getting close lets get a headcount, I am in for saturday night camping.

looking through the thread, it looks like we have:

knightrider Saturday camping.
FBinSD Saturday camping
Jayrat Sunday meeting at the water tower
JFanaselle Sunday meeting at the water tower
Toro +4 Saturday camping!!! :D
GBH - Saturday camping.

occupantX - still working?
Ghost65 - Scared of bridges so he gave his bike away.
Edwin562 - still interested?
Kjswa Schedule?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:12:16 PM by knightrider »
Jordan - K6XTE

FBinSD

• 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2018, 03:59:52 PM »
Yeah, I am still down for camping Saturday.
2012 Frontier pro4x

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2018, 05:15:27 PM »
Joe, Jay.  Since you guys are making the drive out Sunday, is 10am meetup sound good?
Jordan - K6XTE

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2018, 05:23:24 PM »
Joe, Jay.  Since you guys are making the drive out Sunday, is 10am meetup sound good?
That works for me , I might even make it out for camping but later Saturday
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2018, 04:45:28 PM »
10:00 am works for me too.