Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: CANVAZ 2018 Planning Thread  (Read 15814 times)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
CANVAZ 2018 Planning Thread
« on: February 02, 2017, 10:16:51 AM »
Back on topic...

A few thoughts on planning CANVAZ 2018:

~ I have enjoyed involvement in these events in the past, *but* I no longer own a Nissan and feel it is inappropriate to take the lead on something as a Toyota owner.

~ With that said, I'd like to help my friends here on SCCX with basic planning and structure...ie:  location selection, trail selection, trail leader recruitment, lodging/camping selections, daily planning and timing, as well as potentially seeking out a sticker/shirt/morale patch vendor for the event that isn't an event.

~ Final thought...I'm not even sure I can make CANVAZ, because I'm seriously considering attending this Rocktober Therapy in '17 and '18.

KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Re: CANVAZ 2018 Planning Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 10:20:10 AM »
So, putting this out there...lets brainstorm and see if its worth the undertaking/planning/time to make CANVAZ '18 a non-event event worth bringing firewood to.  ;)
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 10:56:20 AM »
I am willing to help Co-plan
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 11:18:35 AM »
I am willing to help Co-plan

Perfect Jay, thanks.

Anyone else interested?

Depending on the location, and number of days for CANVAZ, we may need up to 4/6 trail leaders?

In the past, CANVAZ has been scheduled over a 4 day weekend, with trail days on Friday, Saturday, and sometimes a Sunday morning quick trail. 

This is completely open for discussion.

IMO - trail leaders with actual trail experience for their selected trail are the critical component of any event.  This makes for a smooth trail run, and ensures that all of the participants expectations are met.

Pre-running the trail a couple of times before CANVAZ, knowing the timing, obstacles, view points, lunch spot(s), fuel requirements, any cool history along the trail...all things to consider as a volunteer trail leader.
KD6DCI

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 12:29:51 PM »
Last time, it was done on Columbus Day Weekend since some folks have an extra day off. The holiday this year is October 9th, so the 4 day weekend would end up being Friday October 6th through Monday October 9th. We should think about locking in those dates if we want to start some serious planning.

With that in mind, it would also be helpful to start talking about WHERE we will hold the event, as different folks have experience on trails in different regions. I'd be hesitant to volunteer myself as a trail leader now only to discover later that we're going to hold the event somewhere that I haven't been wheeling before.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 12:35:48 PM by JFanaselle »

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 12:50:15 PM »
Last time, it was done on Columbus Day Weekend since some folks have an extra day off. The holiday this year is October 9th, so the 4 day weekend would end up being Friday October 6th through Monday October 9th. We should think about locking in those dates if we want to start some serious planning.

With that in mind, it would also be helpful to start talking about WHERE we will hold the event, as different folks have experience on trails in different regions. I'd be hesitant to volunteer myself as a trail leader now only to discover later that we're going to hold the event somewhere that I haven't been wheeling before.

Good points all Joe.  Keep in mind this is planning for 2018, so we have a full year and a half to set things up.  With a group effort, and volunteers, this should prevent any event "burn-out" as well as having several folks involved, so if at the last minute someone has to bow out, another can pick up the pieces and continue on for the events sake. 

And since you offered, I'll make the suggestion of Anza Borrego for a hosting location.

AB is a great location as its local, which makes pre-running trails a snap...literally a day trip if necessary.

There is everything there trail wise...from green trails (Arroyo Salada Trail, Truckhaven, etc.) to wild trails (Truckhaven again, and the Superstition Mountain Area).

Lodging is available in Borrego Springs, and there are plenty of campgrounds/dispersed camping as well.

The other suggestion is Big Bear, where we hosted CANVAZ in 2012.  A great location for all the above reasons, buuuut, a little harder to get to for trail pre-runs.

Open forum, lets hear some more... :) :)

KD6DCI

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 12:53:33 PM »
I'm willing to help plan.  I don't know much about Anza Borrego, is there enough diversity in the trails?
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 01:10:40 PM »
Derp... the date I listed was for Columbus Day 2017.  :o Columbus Day 2018 is actually the 8th, so we'd in theory be looking at the 10/5/18 - 10/8/18 if we want to utilize the long weekend.

Like CAWoody, I don't have any experience wheeling around AB, but that doesn't mean I can't get any experience over the next 18 months. :)  Just keep in mind Ghost that it's only local to the SD folks - anyone coming from the OC or IE is likely closer to Big Bear. That being said, I like the idea of shaking up the location a little from the usual Big Bear locale... plus, they do Oktoberfest up in BB all month long, which makes the campgrounds and restaurants crowded as all heck.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 01:36:53 PM »
Derp... the date I listed was for Columbus Day 2017.  :o Columbus Day 2018 is actually the 8th, so we'd in theory be looking at the 10/5/18 - 10/8/18 if we want to utilize the long weekend.

Like CAWoody, I don't have any experience wheeling around AB, but that doesn't mean I can't get any experience over the next 18 months. :)  Just keep in mind Ghost that it's only local to the SD folks - anyone coming from the OC or IE is likely closer to Big Bear. That being said, I like the idea of shaking up the location a little from the usual Big Bear locale... plus, they do Oktoberfest up in BB all month long, which makes the campgrounds and restaurants crowded as all heck.

Hmmmm.....very true.  Apologizes...AB is local to us SD guys...BB is more local to the OC/LA/IE group. 

We all seem to have more experience in the BB area, as far as trails and the like.  The suggestion of AB was to try for a desert locale, and camping in the mountains in October can be chilly...and the desert for that matter.

Trail choice and location has a factor on who trail leads as well...one of the reasons we had issues getting advanced/black trail support was, not a lot of SAS/fully locked guys showed an interest in the event from the get go.  Also keep in mind, a lot of the big rock crawler crew supported the Nissan West Coast Meet this past year that Steven Lutz organized in the Lucerne Valley/KOH area over the same dates as CANVAZ....

Again, just throwing things out to see where they stick...maybe we could get Terry, Tom, Toro, or Celt to lead a couple of black trails through either Big Bear (John Bull, Dishpan Springs) or in Anza Borrego around the Truckhaven area/Pinyon Mountain Trail/Heart Attack Hill/Diablo Drop Off Trails??
KD6DCI

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 02:09:50 PM »
I have a bunch of trail experience in AB and would be happy to lead trips and help plan.  Also, if we camp outside the park itself, we can avoid Park restrictions.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 06:16:53 PM »
I have a bunch of trail experience in AB and would be happy to lead trips and help plan.  Also, if we camp outside the park itself, we can avoid Park restrictions.

Excellent Tony...either AB or BB, both will work.
KD6DCI

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 06:31:09 PM »
Not trail leader in BB ,but I can help with other Stuff .
If in AB I could lead a Pink Run ??? LOL
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 09:13:43 PM »
I like the AB idea to mix it up a little, and it was great weather last October :D

I would be happy to lead a trail or three whether I know them or not >:D

I'm not much on pre-planing but when the time comes, I will be there for the team.

Thanks for "not" taking point on this John ;)
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 12:40:04 AM »
I would be glad to jump in for anything in Anza Borrego. The squeeze and heart attack hill are some of my favorites (Pinyon Mountain). Big Bear, John Bull is always fun no matter what. Anything else in Anza Borrego is super easy for me as I'm always lurking around down there. Anza Borrego can really be nice because guys don't have to have a lot of modifications and the trails can be easily changed around a bit to accommodate. Salton City is close enough for food/fuel and guys coming in from AZ and NV. Visitors from out of state or county should really love Calcite Mine for the views and the Pumpkin Patch with the surrounding mud hills just because it's really cool. Fish Creek is not to be missed for the visitors. Lots and lots of places to set up camp out of the way that holds a large group and not be bothered by drunks playing dueling mariachi/rap music until 0400. Let me know what I can do in the planning phase or leading a trail or two.
Isaiah 6:8

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 09:00:55 AM »
Not trail leader in BB ,but I can help with other Stuff .
If in AB I could lead a Pink Run ??? LOL

Don't sell yourself short...didn't you recently take a group out on The Bradshaw Trail?

No worries if your not interested in trail leading...this whole discussion is exploratory anywhoo  ;)
KD6DCI