Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Pro4X vs Standard 4WD Suspension Difference?  (Read 4682 times)

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
Pro4X vs Standard 4WD Suspension Difference?
« on: June 07, 2018, 06:41:08 PM »
So, I'm probably going to make myself look dumb here. During the eight years I've been on the forums and in the Nissan offroading community, I've always seen people attribute the height difference between a P4X and the other models to the tire size. I've never measured front coilover assemblies myself or seen the two next to each other.

I made a comment about spacers in a FB group and was schooled about the differences in the suspension, rather rudely, I might add. After my post, I did some Googling. The springs for the Pro4X are a different model number than the other 4wd models. Of course, we all know about the difference in struts. I found a thread on ClubFrontier talking about the difference in springs.  Apparently, the standard 4wd springs have one more coil than 2wd springs, it's obvious why they're different, more weight up front. Now, this is where I read info I've never seen before. Supposedly, the P4X springs are about 3/4" taller than other 4wd springs. This is the first time I'd ever seen this information.

Am I that blind? Did I just miss this all these years? Are the other people off their rocker?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

FrankB

Re: Pro4X vs Standard 4WD Suspension Difference?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 07:23:24 PM »
I had a 2005 Xterra S trim for quite a few years, and traded it towards a 2014 Pro-4X in 2014.  I do know that the shocks are different (Bilsteins on the Pro-4X), but I have a strong feeling that the springs are the same.  I upgraded it in 2007 to what PRG now calls the advanced lift (Deaver 2xAAL in the rear and Radflo/Eibach in the front with Total Chaos UCA), so when I got the Pro-4X I had kind of forgotten just squishy those factory springs really are.  I've got some rock rash on the underside of the 2014 front bumper to prove just how much I had forgotten.

The Pro-4X suspension is very soft. I would be shocked if in fact it supposedly has stiffer/stronger springs than the other trims. Four adults and it will bottom out the stock bump stops on a mild speed bump.  Put Timbrens on it a while back, that does help.  When I was on my last trip, with just two of us but a fair amount of emergency gear and water, plus our clothes, etc. the rear axle was riding right on the Timbrens.

My opinion - If the Pro-4X springs are any taller, they sure aren't any stiffer.  If the height difference is 1/2" then it is just the tires.  It should show up in the ground clearance measurement. 

Jordan might know for sure.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 08:43:33 PM »
I have zero idea about the difference in shock height but Frank brings about a very valid point in my opinion. You can have just about any shock but the springs are going to dictate a lot with the spring weight and type of spring. Suspension gets really weird and the more you want to purpose build it the more expensive you get. As to your "I made a comment about spacers in a FB group and was schooled about the differences in the suspension, rather rudely, I might add." is exactly why I steer away from many forums and peoples great advice. If someone wants to rudely attack you for asking a valid question or belittle you, well that should tell you all you need to know about them and their great opinions. A lot of these keyboard commandos can say what they want and about what you "Have to have" but in reality it comes down to driving and learning. I would gladly tell those nay sayers about you on Holcomb Creek which is what I consider a extremely difficult trail watching you negotiate the obstacles made my heart go pitter patter.

There are the guys who type and the guys who wheel, I choose to give ear to the guys who wheel.
Isaiah 6:8

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 12:29:21 AM »
I have heard that the 2wd coil springs are softee, not sure by how much but it makes sense like you said, different weight between 2wd and 4wd due to front differential and transfer case.  I was not aware the pro4x springs were taller that S/X 4x4 models.

I am like you Rick, I have never dug into the intricate differences between the stock suspension on different trims.  Frankly I really don't care that much.  I like to nerd out on things probably more than most but I guess I don't see the point unless there is some hidden magical unicorn combination that would make our trucks float over whoops like a trophy truck :)

There very well could be 3 separate stock springs and that could change how much lift you can get with spacers and such but so would age and level of abuse the springs have gone through. 
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 07:59:37 AM »
I made a comment about someone posting a question about spacers.  The ad stated they couldn't be used on a Pro4X, I made a comment about the front suspensions being the same and being able to use a spacer across all models.  Someone said I was clueless but never stated why I was wrong.  That's when I started digging for differences.  I literally only found one post about the springs being different.  I'm one of those that like to run things to ground, so I'll probably dig into it and see if I can find some comparison photos or a set of standard 4wd springs and measure them against my Pro4X springs.
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky