Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: scottmen's Xterra  (Read 23521 times)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Re: scottmen's Xterra
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 07:45:13 AM »
Those look like Titan arms and spacers...very nice Scott.  ;D

Before or after Mojave?
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

scottmen

• 4wd Pts: 12
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 10:12:31 AM »
Not Titan arms. Just the PRG upper control arms and spacers.

Hopefully will be going on today.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 10:24:28 AM »
Not Titan arms. Just the PRG upper control arms and spacers.

Hopefully will be going on today.

What coils are you running? 
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

scottmen

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 08:29:15 PM »
The PRG extended coil overs with Radflos 2.0 and Eibach springs.

scottmen

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 08:29:51 PM »
Installation of UCAs is complete.

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 09:58:30 PM »
Installation of UCAs is complete.

pix or it didn't happen   ;)

scottmen

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 12:05:37 PM »
Ok now it officially happened.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 07:23:05 PM »
Haha!

Nice pic Scott. :)

Sent from Planet Claire using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 01:06:32 PM »
Ok now it officially happened.

NICE WORK!!!

scottmen

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 11:06:58 AM »
Updated 3/18/2013

After I installed the coil overs I noticed that it seemed like the shock was the limiting factor for droop (not coil bucket contact). I first considered getting a 1in spacer so that I could move the shock down and adjust the spring back to pre-spacer height. I talked to Greg and just decided to go with an even bigger spacer and the upper control arms. I was going to purchase them eventually, but just decided to get everything done at once. Went to my buddy's place for the install. First thing we did was install the new UCA. Then we took out the coil over, removed the spring and reinstalled the shock with the new spacer. We marked the top and bottom travel points on the shaft of the shock, now I am getting full extension limited only by up and down stops. We reinstalled the spring on the shock and adjusted out the spacer with the new spring location. We then did the other side, UCA and spacer install (also moved spring on shock to compensate for spacer) then put it back on the ground. Drove it around a little bit, nothing fell off (WHEW!) and went home. It's currently at 4Wheel Parts getting an alignment done. Feels a little smoother on dips so I would say it was a success.

One think I was contemplating was the neutral location of the suspension. Meaning at rest do you want the shock to be at it's center point so you get equal up and down travel or do you want it biased a little one way. I know short course trucks for example are all droop and less up travel, but I am looking for a good all around ride, and my jumps are quite as large as Carl's.  ;D

scottmen

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 12:03:35 PM »
What a hassle. Driving into work today and stepped on the brake pedal just hit the floor, rolled right through a stop sign. Pumped the brake and got some pressure back so thought it might have been just a fluke. Next stop same thing. Made a U-turn and went home. Found a puddle in the garage and it was still leaking. Thought it might have been the banjo fitting since I loosened when I added the UCA. Crawled under the car and saw it was leaking from the middle of the brake line. It had been smashed, not sure how, only thing different was that 4Wheel Parts has aligned it. Didn't have a flare nut wrench so used the open end and started to round the nut, tried a vice grip and that didn't work. Gave up and came to work. What a hassle, don't know if it was 4Wheel Part's fault or what.

I sprayed some PB on the flare nut that goes into the brake line and hopefully it will move by tonight. If not?

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 02:27:30 PM »
once rounded Vice grip is the way to go.  if that doesn't work and if you have a dermal, you can cut a notch in the nut then use a flat head and a small hammer and start tapping the nut lose.

Check to see if the line is binding up with the coils.  If it is, it might have pinch the line.

scottmen

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 09:03:31 AM »

It took me a good two hours to get the pipe separated from the flex brake line. Finally gave up and cut the braided line. That let me get the closed end of the wrench on the braided side of the connection, clamped like hell on the flare nut with the vice grip and just went for it. It finally gave way and loosened up. I got lucky and found a place that could make custom brake lines close to my work and didn't have to wait for a special order. I put it all back together and bled the line.

There was a bunch of brake fluid around the wheel and LCA so I got some simple green and doused it. Took it to the self car wash and hosed it down. Luckily I was able to stop when I got there.

Can't figure out how the line actually got crushed. It runs vertical next to the coil and can't see how it could have gotten crushed in there.

Next thing to be done is the melt mod, because I am getting some serious rubbage with the new UCA.

SurferX

• 4wd Pts: 2
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 02:06:28 PM »
Great looking rig

+1

scottmen

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 01:59:55 PM »
It finally came in!! 10 weeks, not bad.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]