Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Too Many Episodes of Top Gear?  (Read 6168 times)

FrankB

Too Many Episodes of Top Gear?
« on: May 11, 2019, 10:06:29 PM »
Does putting the Xterra in place to take this picture mean I've watched too many episodes of Top Gear and the Grand Tour?

For those who've never watched Top Gear or Grand Tour, those guys could not drive past an abandoned air strip without stopping and having a little drag race.  I didn't have anyone to race against.  Good thing, probably.

This is the old air strip across US 395 from Manzanar.  I was going to stop here when I drove past in July of last year, but it was filled with active firefighting aircraft at the time.

More pics from my recent 3-day trip to Lone Pine will follow shortly.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Re: Too Many Episodes of Top Gear?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 12:09:46 PM »
Pics of Frank the Graboid slayer decimating the remaining population of those foul creatures would be helpful.

P.S. I'm sorry I let the cat out of the bag for the reason you went back up there.
Isaiah 6:8

FrankB

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 09:37:02 PM »
Pics of Frank the Graboid slayer decimating the remaining population of those foul creatures would be helpful.

P.S. I'm sorry I let the cat out of the bag for the reason you went back up there.

No worries.  Cats should not be in bags anyway.

We did spend a lot of time in the Alabama Hills, but didn't see any Graboids.  What we did see were way too many giant RVs and trailers, making it tough to get a picture at times - but I shouldn't complain, since if I had one I would be out there in it too.  We stayed in town at the Dow Villa, since it is walking distance to several good restaurants.  Each night after dinner we got back into the X and drove out to the Hills to watch the sunset and explore around out there a bit as it was getting dark. 

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 11:00:55 AM »
Great minds think alike, Frank. I did the exact same thing back in May of 2017. I hope you did the same thing as me, and accelerated down the runway while pretending to be an airplane taking off  lol

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

FrankB

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 12:29:02 PM »
Great minds think alike, Frank. I did the exact same thing back in May of 2017.

That's where I got the idea Joe.  I wanted to stop there in July, but the Inyo County Sheriff's officer parked at the entrance did not appear to want that; and besides, the runway was active.

I hope you did the same thing as me, and accelerated down the runway while pretending to be an airplane taking off  lol

I believe we still have something called the Fifth Amendment in this country.  We'll just go with that for now.

fourxfunk

• 4wd Pts: 14
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 06:34:14 PM »
We just need to see your X sliding into frame in full opposite lock, tires smoking.. and cue the music!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Gunslinger2N

• 4wd Pts: 5
  • semel iterumque referebant eos ad contritionem!!!!
    • 2014 Pro-4X
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 05:10:07 PM »
Hey.... You were super close to the Reward mine!!!!
Gunslinger2N / KM6WOC

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 09:08:55 AM »
Hey.... You were super close to the Reward mine!!!!

That's actually where I was trying to go when I stopped to play around on the old air strip. I ended up spending so much time goofing off, that we ran out of daylight without getting over to reward. It's on my list of places to go next time I'm in the area for sure.