Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Sat Nov 22: Fish Creek & Sandstone Canyon - Anza Borrego  (Read 84772 times)

FrankB

Re: Sat Nov 22: Fish Creek & Sandstone Canyon - Anza Borrego
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 08:37:40 PM »
The Diablo Drop-Off looked really challenging going up. Going down after dark was no easy trip either! Going up there's a big patch of loose "sugar sand" that is deep, long, and pitched at a pretty good angle. We watched a bunch of trucks - Range Rovers IIRC - struggling to get their last couple of trucks up.

The State Park maps and the guide books all consider Diablo Drop-Off a one-way trail, downhill towards Fish Creek.

Who is thinking of camping?  There are several options, and I may be up for camping as well.  Keep in mind that inside the State Park boundaries you must have any fire in a metal container, no ground fires allowed. You can, however, camp pretty much anywhere as long as it's not on a trail and at least 100' from any water. Pack out all trash, of course.

Fish Creek is pretty wide most of the way, and there are spots along the way that look like they would be good. Some of them look like we could get quite a few trucks in.  Sandstone Canyon gets really narrow. Most of the spots I've seen back there would be good for only 2 to 3 trucks, and then not that far apart. It's hard to say how crowded it will be, last year there were a lot of people, and we spotted more than a few campers.  The whole area is rather active seismically, so you'll want to avoid parking under any cliffs or rock walls.  Ask Jason how much a new rear hatch glass costs.

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 06:05:09 PM »
We'd camp like always, I've got hours I need to use or lose prior to January so I'd likely make it a three day/two night event coming down Friday and returning Sunday following the run.
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

FrankB

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 07:58:31 PM »
We'd camp like always, I've got hours I need to use or lose prior to January so I'd likely make it a three day/two night event coming down Friday and returning Sunday following the run.

Paul,  If you (or anyone else) camps Friday night in or near Fish Creek let me know ahead of time and we can just meet you out there, save yourself a drive all the way back to the Visitor's Center on Saturday morning.

Also, if someone has an idea for a more challenging run on Sunday, and wants to lead it, that might provide some variety for those who might find Fish Creek a bit tame (it is a very easy trail).  The Ocotillo Wells OHV Area is just across Hwy 78 from where we'll turn on Split Mountain Road, so it's pretty close.

jefenger

• 4wd Pts: 0
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 06:36:26 PM »
Hi,

Count me in as a strong maybe! I need to get my monthly quote of wheeling.  ;D Any chance of trying diablo drop-off?

FrankB

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 09:13:39 PM »
Hi,

Count me in as a strong maybe! I need to get my monthly quote of wheeling.  ;D Any chance of trying diablo drop-off?

Diablo is one-way the other direction (you would be headed up hill if you went from Fish Creek).  We'll be heading into Fish Creek from Split Mountain Road.  But, if you wanted to, you could head straight for Hwy S-2, through Arroyo Seco del Diablo, down the drop-off and try to meet up with us in Fish Creek.  I'm not sure how long it would take, or where we would be when you hit Fish Creek Wash, though.

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 01:37:38 PM »
Hello Everyone, my wife and I would like to join in on this trip. We will not be camping but will meet up on Sat. morning. This will be our first off road adventure since buying the X in May. This sounds like a good trip for beginners. Look forward to meeting you guys.
Don
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

FrankB

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 03:34:07 PM »
Hello Everyone, my wife and I would like to join in on this trip. We will not be camping but will meet up on Sat. morning. This will be our first off road adventure since buying the X in May. This sounds like a good trip for beginners. Look forward to meeting you guys.
Don

Don, we look forward to having you and your wife along on this run.

boats

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 06:09:55 PM »
Hello everyone. I know it's been a while since I have posted. I may join all of you on this run. I am not sure if I will be in a conference at that time but if I am not I will make it for sure. My son may come with me also. I have to test the New X out.

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 08:57:45 PM »
Don

No mud flaps or step rails allowed.  :P

Glad to hear you're coming. The Xterra is an amazing truck and I hope you take advantage of it's abilities to see the wonder and beauty that is our state. We can get to places that you can't otherwise get too. Going beyond the edges allows you to see things that most will never see.
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 08:42:07 AM »
If I can find my hacksaw I will remove them tonight.
Don

Glad to hear you're coming. The Xterra is an amazing truck and I hope you take advantage of it's abilities to see the wonder and beauty that is our state. We can get to places that you can't otherwise get too. Going beyond the edges allows you to see things that most will never see.
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

Soylent Yellow

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 5254
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 12:09:54 PM »
Don

On this trip you shouldn't have to worry about them.  On some of the others they can cause problems. 
I'd rather be happy than right any day.

FrankB

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 12:51:35 PM »
Don

On this trip you shouldn't have to worry about them.  On some of the others they can cause problems. 

Mitch is right, should be no problems on this run, unless there has been a major change in trail. Step rails and mud flaps come off pretty quickly, if needed we can do that on the trail (or when you're not looking in camp  ;D).

AV Xterra

• 4wd Pts: 7
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 05:23:18 PM »
Don

Mitch is right, should be no problems on this run, unless there has been a major change in trail. Step rails and mud flaps come off pretty quickly, if needed we can do that on the trail (or when you're not looking in camp  ;D).
I saw John take his mudflaps off pretty quickly and he didn't even use tools! Just need a short trip around the hills near Calico.
I eat other peoples food.  It's a sickness.

boats

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 05:46:30 PM »
I took all that crap off as soon as I brought it home and I put all of my skids that I was able to take off of my stolen X. Remember me guys I had the black xterra SE. Anywho has any one heard from John? It has been a while since I seen him post.

sturndog

• 4wd Pts: 9
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 10:13:04 PM »
I am back, plan to go on this trip and see everyone, the X is fine and I will be bringing a co-pilot/navigator.