Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: What have you done for your Rig lately.  (Read 488694 times)

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
Re: What have you done for your Rig lately.
« Reply #1425 on: August 18, 2017, 08:06:59 AM »
TBH, Jordan and I talked about this.  I probably don't need a winch.  I want a winch, but the type of wheeling I do, it just doesn't make sense as "the next mod."  That being said, probably one of Warns offerings :) 

There are just some other things I'd like to do before I get a winch.  Stuff to make "overlanding" more awesome.  Roof rack, reworked rear suspension, stuff like that.
I happen to have an extra winch (took it off my Dodge) that I could give you a good price on.  It is a Warn 16.5Ti like this:
https://www.amazon.com/WARN-68801-16-5ti-Thermometric-Winch/dp/B0002Z9T1O

PM me if interested.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #1426 on: August 18, 2017, 09:26:34 AM »
So, I think I'm the only one on there that doesn't have on-board air. I know what I'm asking the wife for Christmas.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Trust me...you're not the only one.  I'm really debating on going with OBA or Powertank.  Obviously the downside of PT is having to get it refilled.  That 30 sec. fill time per tire is pretty tempting.  I also like the idea of running air tools off of a tank that can be moved from the front to the back of the line if needed.  I found a company online that makes a tank that is pretty much the exact same thing as PowerTank for 1/2 the price..so $200 for their setup is much more enticing...

SCUBA_Dale

• 2015 Xterra Pro-4x

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #1428 on: August 18, 2017, 09:46:10 AM »
Have you look at the smittybuilt kit. It's not bad and comes with a bag. Personally 10 pound is too small for me. The added weight and having a highly compress tank in my rig don't sit well with me incase something fails.

I rarely see people with tanks offer to fill air up for everyone. Because you have to refill and it cost money.

If you want speed up tire fill, get a high CFM like Airzenith or the dual ARB compressor, and a 5 gallon tank. That will help speed things up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #1429 on: August 18, 2017, 09:50:04 AM »
http://www.instantairsupply.com/5-complete-systems

That is a pretty damn cool system for the price!  Biggest difference I see between this and the "expensive" Powertank system is the regulator (this one is set to dispense at 150 psi), tank gauges for remaining CO2, and liquid filled gauge for tire pressure monitoring.

Masterson in San Marcos does on the spot fills for $16.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

SCUBA_Dale

• 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #1430 on: August 18, 2017, 09:56:37 AM »
Masterson in San Marcos does on the spot fills for $16.

Nice!  I've heard upwards of $30 to fill these...glad it's half!

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #1431 on: August 18, 2017, 12:30:51 PM »
Nice!  I've heard upwards of $30 to fill these...glad it's half!

Some scuba shops will also fill them for you at a discount.
Isaiah 6:8

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #1432 on: August 18, 2017, 03:17:33 PM »
Trust me...you're not the only one.  I'm really debating on going with OBA or Powertank.  Obviously the downside of PT is having to get it refilled.  That 30 sec. fill time per tire is pretty tempting.  I also like the idea of running air tools off of a tank that can be moved from the front to the back of the line if needed.  I found a company online that makes a tank that is pretty much the exact same thing as PowerTank for 1/2 the price..so $200 for their setup is much more enticing...
I'm not sure if I'm going to go with a full onboard setup.  I was just thinking an ARB mounted in the engine bay or trunk area.  I only need air for filling tires, so I don't need the on-demand function that a tank provides.
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #1433 on: August 18, 2017, 05:30:21 PM »
The tank is nice because I can fill it to 200psi before getting to the air up spot and air up 2 tires from 10 to 40 psi in about 2 and a half minutes.  The 2nd pair takes a few more minutes, but at Cerro Gordo I had aired myself and Steve in the same amount of time it took everyone else with a little viair pump to do 4 tires.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Riz98

• 4wd Pts: 8
  • PBR ASAP
    • 2002 Nissan Xterra
« Reply #1434 on: August 18, 2017, 06:59:32 PM »
Alright, I'm jealous. >:(  I have my compressor mounted and tank mounted i just haven't wired and plumbed the bugger yet.  I'm a little fuzzy on the pluming connections, where to get them and how to mount them.  Very nice set up you got there.  Hopefully by the next trip I can figure things out on my rig.

The last time I replaced some air fittings for the tank and plumbing in general, I went to Home Depot.  They have a large variety of fittings to choose from. 

TBH, Jordan and I talked about this.  I probably don't need a winch.  I want a winch, but the type of wheeling I do, it just doesn't make sense as "the next mod."  That being said, probably one of Warns offerings :) 

There are just some other things I'd like to do before I get a winch.  Stuff to make "overlanding" more awesome.  Roof rack, reworked rear suspension, stuff like that. 

Yeah I agree with the direction you are taking on the mods.  So far I have winched once, Duffman at CANVAS 2016 needed a little tow, but I like the extra security it brings for that Oh Shit moment that could happen anytime.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 07:01:09 PM by Riz98 »

Celt

« Reply #1435 on: August 18, 2017, 08:12:06 PM »
I'm about 50/50 on the self recovery-other people recovery.

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #1436 on: August 18, 2017, 08:18:48 PM »
I have only had to self-recover once, and that was on purpose.  Intentionally put my Dodge into a ditch due to ice conditions to prevent joining the pile up at the bottom of the hill.  After a couple of hours of bright sun the road was passable and I used an abandoned Suburban as an anchor to pull myself out.  Every other time I have used my winch was to pull someone else out, or lift an engine, or pull out fence posts, etc.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Celt

« Reply #1437 on: August 18, 2017, 08:24:59 PM »
You can really get inventive with a winch that's for sure. Used one on the Rubicon to try to pull a differential back to normal angle after torque broke the welds on the axle tubes snapping the U-joints sending the thing pointing skyward into the tub.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #1438 on: August 18, 2017, 09:13:37 PM »
The last time I replaced some air fittings for the tank and plumbing in general, I went to Home Depot.  They have a large variety of fittings to choose from. 

While true, they get very expensive since they don't have harder to find fittings so you have to buy 2 or 3 pieces that eventually get to what you need.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #1439 on: August 19, 2017, 05:01:30 PM »
As promised, here's how we get the air into the tires.  Two tires at the same time!

Quick disclaimer - This is the first time I've ever screwed around with putting air parts together.  Also, I was unsupervised, lol
I may have gone a little crazy with the teflon tape... you'll see. 

It all fits in this handy bag.  I just searched jumper cable bag on amazon and this popped up. 

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/924/ApD5Ia.jpg
What have you done for your Rig lately.

Just about the right size for 26' of 3/8" compressor hose
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/922/IL4SNG.jpg

The lock on air chuck
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/923/evZtD6.jpg

1 into 3 hose splitter
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/923/kBErBq.jpg

I also included a ball valve here with a quick connect air chuck so I can check tire pressure after it's been filling for a while.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/923/oSqBtG.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/924/THMLMn.jpg

The hose system consists of a 10' section from the source to the 1 into 3 splitter.  Off the splitter, I'm using a 6' section for the front tire and a 10' section for the rear tire.
It's really useful to have a bit of extra length to help friends air up.  (Like I was doing off of @knightriders set up for years)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/923/8U4yx4.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/924/uIuXkZ.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/923/9S8IiH.jpg

When you think you're close to the right pressure, turn off the ball valve to the system, grab the gauge out of your pocket and jam it into the quick connect chuck.  Bang on! 
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/923/xASQKR.jpg
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)