Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: What have you done for your Rig lately.  (Read 489098 times)

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
Re: What have you done for your Rig lately.
« Reply #1365 on: May 14, 2017, 10:29:28 AM »
I figured there was some sort of issue with the sending unit, thanks Ghost. The saving grace is when the low fuel light goes off I know I'm down to five gallons so I can at least go another 60-70 miles safely.
This is the same level of accuracy mine came with directly from the factory.  It shows over full when I fill it to the top, but when the reserve light comes on, I still have five gallons left.  My wife's 2016 Rogue, on the other hand, has less than a gallon left when the reserve comes on.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #1366 on: May 14, 2017, 02:30:52 PM »
Before:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
After
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #1367 on: May 14, 2017, 04:36:55 PM »
Lookin good there.............
Isaiah 6:8

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #1368 on: May 14, 2017, 06:44:23 PM »
Who re-did the arm? That looks like Kennys work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jayrat

• FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #1369 on: May 14, 2017, 07:02:11 PM »
Who re-did the arm? That looks like Kennys work.

Friend of mine (Nicole's Cousin)
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #1370 on: May 14, 2017, 08:04:39 PM »
Looks great!

Jayrat

• FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #1371 on: May 14, 2017, 09:20:34 PM »
Looks great!

Thanks Danny, he did a good job,,
He's going to make me a proper safari rack also,
 not like the one I made out of conduit
LOL :o

JeffBett

• 4wd Pts: 26
    • 06 Xterra
« Reply #1372 on: May 15, 2017, 08:39:04 AM »
I think after doing some research I will replace the FSU by cutting a hole in truck for an access port.  Several have said they broke bolts and had to hassle drilling then out, etc. and Jake's truck spent 3 years in the northeast and I have already had to deal with so many rotted and broken bolts, I am wanting to avoid more.  Anyone have the secret to the easiest way to cut through the floor pan?

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #1373 on: May 16, 2017, 09:24:47 AM »
Thanks Danny, he did a good job,,
He's going to make me a proper safari rack also,
 not like the one I made out of conduit
LOL :o

Jay, the bumper mod looks great.  Is he open to taking on other projects? My Hefty dual swing while very convenient, is in need of some attention.
I'd also be VERY interested in a full replacement rack. 
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #1374 on: May 16, 2017, 11:11:21 AM »
I think after doing some research I will replace the FSU by cutting a hole in truck for an access port.  Several have said they broke bolts and had to hassle drilling then out, etc. and Jake's truck spent 3 years in the northeast and I have already had to deal with so many rotted and broken bolts, I am wanting to avoid more.  Anyone have the secret to the easiest way to cut through the floor pan?

Jeff...I've been tossing this idea around in my head since you posted it...and I just can't think of a way that cutting through the floor of the Xterra provides easier access vs. damaging the integrity of your subfloor.

IIRC...the gas tank is located on the DS, just under the rear seat area.  The hole size necessary to facilitate pulling the FSU through would be sizable, larger than a tennis ball but smaller than a volleyball.  Not to mention re-welding and sealing the hole once the project is completed.  That area of the Xterra (again, IIRC) has the seatbelt/seat mount anchors bolted near there, and potentially compromising that body integrity would concern me.

You might attempt pre-soaking the bolts that hold the bands of the gas tank to break them free, but beyond that and physically dropping the drained tank, the solutions are pretty narrow in scope IMO.

Joe...Jordan...Randy...Erik...Danny...Tim...any thoughts on this?
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #1375 on: May 16, 2017, 12:17:54 PM »
IIRC...the gas tank is located on the DS, just under the rear seat area.  The hole size necessary to facilitate pulling the FSU through would be sizable, larger than a tennis ball but smaller than a volleyball.  Not to mention re-welding and sealing the hole once the project is completed.  That area of the Xterra (again, IIRC) has the seatbelt/seat mount anchors bolted near there, and potentially compromising that body integrity would concern me.
On my old Range Rover Countys there was an access port built in to the center of the rear deck.  It was a square plate with 8-10 bolts and a seal.  Take off the plate and the fuel pump was right under it in the tank.  No need to drop the tank to change the pump.  Just so long as the hole is bigger than the pump, that could work.

As far as the seat belts go, do they bolt through the body or into the frame?  If it si trough the body, you might need to add a reinforcement plate of some type.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #1376 on: May 16, 2017, 12:45:54 PM »
On my old Range Rover Countys there was an access port built in to the center of the rear deck.  It was a square plate with 8-10 bolts and a seal.  Take off the plate and the fuel pump was right under it in the tank.  No need to drop the tank to change the pump.  Just so long as the hole is bigger than the pump, that could work.

As far as the seat belts go, do they bolt through the body or into the frame?  If it si trough the body, you might need to add a reinforcement plate of some type.

Bolts for the belts are to the steel body....not frame.

Access through the hole isn't just for the fsu to pull through, it would also have have room for wrenching on the bolts that secure the unit to the tank.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

JeffBett

• 06 Xterra
« Reply #1377 on: May 16, 2017, 01:20:08 PM »
Several have done it through the floor and have posted images on the new X.  Its about an 8 inch hole in sheet metal that is not structural.  I guess the 1st gen Xterra came with the port for this purpose. The guys that have done it just fab a piece of alum. as a new cover, liquid gasket and a few machine screws and its good as new.  The hole goes in about an 1-2" from the jack and tools holder and is completely under the carpet.  Handy for later when the FSU goes again or the pump goes out. 

The bolts under this X are most just rounded nubs with little or no threads left.  It spent 3-4 years in the northeast, I'll never understand how anything lasts long out there.  I already have about 6 bolts to drill out/extract from the original skid plates.

JeffBett

• 06 Xterra
« Reply #1378 on: May 16, 2017, 01:23:55 PM »
Last night I put the $42 hood shocks on my X that came in amazingly fast from Malaysia.  I wish all the Chinese stuff came that fast.  15 min. and they work great.  Certainty not a must have mod, but I was able to justify it in my mind for the price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Hood-Bonnet-Shock-Strut-Damper-Lift-Supports-Fits-Navara-D40-Pickup-05-14/282201612245?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #1379 on: May 16, 2017, 02:04:47 PM »
Ghost - here's one example of someone who did it via the "hole in the floor" method - take a look at post #59. http://www.thenewx.org/forum/15-how-tos/15054-how-replace-fuel-sending-unit-fsu-6.html

I am honestly not too turned off by this idea, especially if there are concerns about other problems when dropping the tank (since Jake's rig certainly has some rust compromise). Remember that Jake's factory bumpstop literally fell apart on the Bradshaw Trail a few weeks ago, so there's definitely some concern about rust. From the looks of the hole location, I don't think it would compromise the integrity of the body enough to make the seat belts a concern. There is quite a bit of shape to that metal outside of the hole itself. You'd really have to yank on those belts to do anything else to that floor, even with the hole. If there's that much force against the seat belts, I think having the belt rip away from the vehicle might be the least of anyone's concerns.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 02:06:49 PM by JFanaselle »