Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: What have you done for your Rig lately.  (Read 488856 times)

beedee

Re: What have you done for your Rig lately.
« Reply #1290 on: October 13, 2016, 10:18:48 PM »
Pulled and cleaned out my sensor plugs. I also applied some RTV (as seen in the pic). Some transfer case fluid was leaking out of the ATP one a couple weeks ago before I had the new Companion Flange and Seal installed.

Pic was taken after I screwed them back in.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p90/stellaplease/4651694D-A8A2-47D0-AB63-99A16C60121C_zpsbqspcufz.jpg
What have you done for your Rig lately.

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #1291 on: October 16, 2016, 08:54:22 PM »
So on Friday afternoon doing my inspection before heading to Sacramento I decided to service my rear differential. bought 3 quarts of 75w-90 Valvoline Synthetic gear oil. At the time of drain the plug had the usual picture of "metal sludge" and half way thru the drain, this comes out.

My assumption and from experience, this is a piece off one of the gear teeth. Super bummer this had to happen before the trip. The oil wasn't as dirty as expected and see this didn't bring any ease to me. Seems the more I try to make sure the truck is up to maintenance intervals, the more I find the prior owner's history of this Xterra. Either I replace the diff or the whole axle to the upgraded m226 or factory replacement.  Wife wants to see how much CarMax values the X, if its a number she is happy we will most likely trade it in or sell it. my wife isnt very happy that the money I want to use for upgrades, its for maintenance. Don't have much to say since the X is under my wifes name. lol  We will look into another Xterra.

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #1292 on: October 16, 2016, 09:02:43 PM »
So on Friday afternoon doing my inspection before heading to Sacramento I decided to service my rear differential. bought 3 quarts of 75w-90 Valvoline Synthetic gear oil. At the time of drain the plug had the usual picture of "metal sludge" and half way thru the drain, this comes out.

My assumption and from experience, this is a piece off one of the gear teeth. Super bummer this had to happen before the trip. The oil wasn't as dirty as expected and see this didn't bring any ease to me. Seems the more I try to make sure the truck is up to maintenance intervals, the more I find the prior owner's history of this Xterra. Either I replace the diff or the whole axle to the upgraded m226 or factory replacement.  Wife wants to see how much CarMax values the X, if its a number she is happy we will most likely trade it in or sell it. my wife isnt very happy that the money I want to use for upgrades, its for maintenance. Don't have much to say since the X is under my wifes name. lol  We will look into another Xterra.
I know it's your vehicle, but seeing the issues you've had with it makes me feel a little frustrated too. It's kinda like sympathy child birth pains. Lol I hope you get everything figured out.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #1293 on: October 17, 2016, 07:51:02 AM »
Ouch,,,, By chance after your trip are you going to pull your differential cover and do a gear inspection?
Isaiah 6:8

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #1294 on: October 17, 2016, 08:59:44 AM »
Ouch,,,, By chance after your trip are you going to pull your differential cover and do a gear inspection?

Yes, i have that scheduled after this so called rain we just got. lol I was on alert if I hear anything odd while driving. nothing to report.

beedee

« Reply #1295 on: October 17, 2016, 09:44:58 AM »
That sucks Edwin, seems to be one surprise after another. Expect CarMax to bend you over with no vaseline. But if it is a number you guys can live with, I totally understand moving on from this vehicle.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #1296 on: October 17, 2016, 10:52:04 AM »
The thing about Car Max is that they base their offer off of what their market for the vehicle looks like. They have over 125 dealerships nationwide, and they sell hundreds of thousands of vehicles a year, both at retail and at auction (they actually operate their own auctions now, too). So they have a very accurate barometer of what they'll get for teh vehicle, and there are very standard procedures for profit margins and what not. In the end, they don't care what the blue book says. And this is true either way: They offered us $1800 more than the blue book trade-in value for my wife's first Rogue, because it was a hot vehicle at the time and they were flying out of their dealerships, especially with lower mileage. We then took that "offer" to the dealership where we purchased her Pathfinder, and negotiated an even higher trade-in value for the Rogue there, despite the fact that their first offer came in about $2,000 under Car Max's offer (regular dealerships almost always offer you less than the low blue book on their first shot and say there are "refurbishing charges" and what not, even though Kelly Blue Book already factors that in).

They know what they'll get for it, so it's a pretty simple process to make you an offer once they inspect the car. And it really could go either way: If they have a bunch of people looking for Xterras and they're flying off the lots, they may offer you more than you think for it. If it's going straight to auction (too many miles, needs major work, etc), or if they have Xterras sitting on their lots around the country that aren't selling well, they may offer you considerably less than you were expecting. But it never hurts to check - the appraisal is free and there's no-pressure, and they even honor their offer for a week after they've made it so you can think it over.

ghenderson21

• 4wd Pts: 6
    • 2012 Super Black S
« Reply #1297 on: October 17, 2016, 03:55:07 PM »
The thing about Car Max is that they base their offer off of what their market for the vehicle looks like. They have over 125 dealerships nationwide, and they sell hundreds of thousands of vehicles a year, both at retail and at auction (they actually operate their own auctions now, too). So they have a very accurate barometer of what they'll get for teh vehicle, and there are very standard procedures for profit margins and what not. In the end, they don't care what the blue book says. And this is true either way: They offered us $1800 more than the blue book trade-in value for my wife's first Rogue, because it was a hot vehicle at the time and they were flying out of their dealerships, especially with lower mileage. We then took that "offer" to the dealership where we purchased her Pathfinder, and negotiated an even higher trade-in value for the Rogue there, despite the fact that their first offer came in about $2,000 under Car Max's offer (regular dealerships almost always offer you less than the low blue book on their first shot and say there are "refurbishing charges" and what not, even though Kelly Blue Book already factors that in).

They know what they'll get for it, so it's a pretty simple process to make you an offer once they inspect the car. And it really could go either way: If they have a bunch of people looking for Xterras and they're flying off the lots, they may offer you more than you think for it. If it's going straight to auction (too many miles, needs major work, etc), or if they have Xterras sitting on their lots around the country that aren't selling well, they may offer you considerably less than you were expecting. But it never hurts to check - the appraisal is free and there's no-pressure, and they even honor their offer for a week after they've made it so you can think it over.

Great advice ^

In other news, think I found the culprit for the P0301 code my X was throwing...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Rest of the spark plugs were in decent shape, a little more worn that I anticipated for slightly under 75K.

Changed em all out. Ignition coils all looked in good shape. Reset the code, and hoping it's good.

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #1298 on: October 17, 2016, 04:11:16 PM »
Don't forget that Cyl #3 has a +.06 gap increase over the others. Would suck to have to pull the whole thing apart again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ghenderson21

• 2012 Super Black S
« Reply #1299 on: October 17, 2016, 04:24:58 PM »
Don't forget that Cyl #3 has a +.06 gap increase over the others. Would suck to have to pull the whole thing apart again.

May have to double check that one... >:(

Got in a rush after the 100 attempts to get things to line up just right. At least I know how to get in there now, should go much quicker!  :o

GreenAcres

• 4wd Pts: 9
    • 2007 XTerra Off Road
« Reply #1300 on: October 17, 2016, 04:48:50 PM »

It does? Can you say more? I changed my plugs 20K ago and knew nothing about this specific requirement. Thanks!

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #1301 on: October 17, 2016, 05:01:35 PM »
Just F'n with you Geoff.
  I know those are a PIA to do.

ghenderson21

• 2012 Super Black S
« Reply #1302 on: October 17, 2016, 05:03:07 PM »
Just F'n with you Geoff.
  I know those are a PIA to do.

You sir, suck!! LMAO

Here I am feeling all accomplished, and you drop that bomb.

I was getting ready to go take it back out and measure. The #3 isn't as bad as that first one. This is the only time I'm envious of those with small hands...haha

beedee

« Reply #1303 on: October 24, 2016, 09:15:39 AM »
I "permanently" mounted my CB in my console(with velcro on the unit, attached to the passenger side wall of the console cubby), added a right angle connector jack to it, drilled a hole on the backside of the cubby so I can keep the mag-mount antenna permanently hooked up to the CB. The wire is fed through the back of the cubby and out/under the back plate of the console and then I store the antenna under the passenger seat.

Yesterday I installed my 21" single row LED light bar, here is a picture of that.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p90/stellaplease/6112a341-986c-48e8-aa1c-e2c2569d1aad_zps8w1kmit6.jpg
What have you done for your Rig lately.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:17:40 AM by beedee »

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #1304 on: October 29, 2016, 04:01:48 PM »
Birthday was good, kicking and screaming into the 21st century...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.