Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: What have you done for your Rig lately.  (Read 488901 times)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Re: What have you done for your Rig lately.
« Reply #1245 on: July 26, 2016, 05:45:29 PM »
Got my Xterra smogged today for the first time. It's been 9 or 10 years since I've had to smog a vehicle. It's AMAZING how fast the process is now. I was in and out of the smog check station in 10 minutes... no joke! They were done testing my car before I even finished filling out the paperwork. I was lucky to snap a single photo. :)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

JeffBett

• 4wd Pts: 26
    • 06 Xterra
« Reply #1246 on: July 27, 2016, 07:34:02 AM »
Vehicles 2001 and newer now only need to have a quick test from the OBDII port.  A lot faster since they really don't do much, unfortunately the price did not go down.

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #1247 on: July 30, 2016, 04:02:29 PM »
Fianlly got around to finishing the over console.

Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #1248 on: July 30, 2016, 06:13:36 PM »
Very Cool. did you create that ?
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #1249 on: July 30, 2016, 10:19:10 PM »
Very Cool. did you create that ?

Yup.  It only took me three tries with different materials to find on that held together.  My upholstery skills could use a little help though.
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #1250 on: July 31, 2016, 09:37:28 AM »
Looks nice Tim.

Sent from Cygnus-X1
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

PainRoller

• 4wd Pts: 46
  • DILLIGAF
    • 2009 Bad Ass Xterra - Rig Name: PEPE
« Reply #1251 on: July 31, 2016, 11:53:38 AM »
Impressive, Tim!  Looks awesome  8)

Riz98

• 4wd Pts: 8
  • PBR ASAP
    • 2002 Nissan Xterra
« Reply #1252 on: July 31, 2016, 11:39:31 PM »
That looks great!!!!

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #1253 on: August 25, 2016, 02:48:09 PM »
I joined the "no front sway bar" club, but I wasn't exactly planning on it. I've always felt that my front end was too soft to run without a front sway bar. But about two weeks ago while wheeling with Motorpig77, I came down on a rock and heard a loud clunk in the front end. I poked my head under and everything important was still intact (it was very dark out), but there was a large mark on the driver's side of the sway bar where it had impacted a rock, and the lower boot on the driver's side sway bar end link was ripped.

The next day, I noticed a slight rattle noise coming from the front end when hitting small bumps on dirt roads. I also got a horrible knock sound when I would make a sharp right turn at slow speeds that was consistent with wheel speed. I figured I had blown a CV and that was probably the loud noise I heard the night before, but a quick investigation revealed that it was actually the balancing weight on the inside of the driver's side wheel making contact with the sway bar while the steering wheel was fully turned clockwise. So now I figured the sway bar must be slightly bent based on the impact mark from the rock and the fact that the sway bar was no longer clearing the wheel.

I removed the bar and discovered that the upper ball joint for the end link (not the one with the ripped boot) was completely separated. I guess I just beat the sway bar up too much and the end link finally gave way. I'm probably also just a little too high off the ground to still be using the stock end links, and you can see that the sway bar bushing is very loose and not holding the bar tightly anymore.

With the sway bar removed, the front end "dives" into turns quite a bit more, and it's a bit sketchy making slightly abrupt maneuvers at highway speeds. So I'm trying to decide which route I should take:

1) stiffen up the springs on the radflo 2.5s - currently 650lb, but I could jump up to 700 or 750lb
Pros: would allow me to keep my existing setup and keep the front sway bar removed for better articulation
Cons: not the least expensive option, and would stiffen the ride on washboard roads and therefore make trips less enjoyable for the wife and son

2) lighten the weight in the front end: the only way I could really accomplish this would be to relocate the air compressor (which won't improve the situation very much), or swap out my front bumper with a lighter weight one or one that doesn't stick out as far (less lever action against the front suspension). I already swapped out the steel cable on my winch for a synthetic line when I installed it.
Pros: Would improve the overall look and performance of the rig and allow me to
Cons: most expensive option, would have a large lead time with virtually any bumper manufacturer

3) Adjust the height of the Radflo 2.5s to get some preload out of my existing springs. They're virtually all the way down now, and I do have one more hole on my rear shackles to move up and keep the height proportionate.
Pros: Wouldn't cost me anything
Cons: less down-travel within the coilover, truck wouldn't fit in the garage anymore (BARELY fits now... less than 1 inch of clearance) and I keep all of my camera gear in there for rapid response times to breaking news calls, so I don't like to leave it parked outside. Plus, I'm not sure it would stiffen the front end up enough to make much of a difference anyway, but I guess it would be a little stiffer than it is now.

4) Purchase extended end links and re-install the sway bar
Pros: not an expensive option
Cons: still running a front sway bar with less articulation, and would have to replace the bushings too (almost as much money as new coil springs at that point).

5) Just deal with it and run it as is
Pros: sit back and drink a beer
Cons: rollover accident if I ever have to swerve out of the way of something on the highway

In a perfect world and if money wasn't an object, I'd go with option number 2 and sell my Calmini Safari bumper and purchase a new hefty fab aluminum front bumper, and keep the rest of the setup the same. Although I'd also have to relocate the air compressor since there will no longer be room in the front bumper for it and the winch.

Blown out lower boot on sway bar end link

Impact mark from rock on driver's side of sway bar. Notice the worn out sway bar bushing toward the left of the image:

Upper end link ball joint fully separated when I unbolted the sway bar mounting brackets:

Sway bar fully removed (my son wanted his Frisbee to be in the photo):
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 02:58:15 PM by JFanaselle »

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #1254 on: August 25, 2016, 03:00:48 PM »
IMO getting 700 springs is not that bad if you have a front bumper and skids, air down the tires and that takes care of the washboard. 

Option 536: get timbren bumpstops, the truck will still dive a bit in the turns but the bumpstops will make it dive less. 
A cheaper alternative to the timbrens is: https://wheelersoffroad.com/product/toyota/tundra-182669/2007-tundra/suspension-261954/miscellaneous-suspension-parts-24936/wheelers-front-superbump-bumpstop-set/

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #1255 on: August 25, 2016, 04:59:53 PM »
My vote is with Knightrider, airing down helps a lot on washboard stuff in the desert. The heavier springs will act similar to a sway bar on the highways. Take a very close look at what type of spring you want because they (I'm sure you know this) are designed to do different things when they compress and unload. I have been completely swaybar-less for several years now and prefer it's handling. With my heavy Calmini bumper,winch, compressor the 450 icon springs I had on we not fun because I got way too much roll and sway in the front, especially on decreasing radius turns. Off road I wasn't happy with their performance either so I put on a set of Titan 650lb springs that fit right onto my icons. I have not looked back, they do exactly what I want to be doing on the rocks and open desert. Granted, I don't move as fast as some of the guys here on the forum but I do more rock crawling/slow speed stuff. Highway performance has been really acceptable as well. If you want to get an idea of how it handles, maybe the next food truck meet and greet you can take my X for a spin or just meet up sometime after work.

As to anything else I could add: Keep the Frisbee and ditch the sway bar........
Isaiah 6:8

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #1256 on: September 01, 2016, 08:53:23 PM »
Took a bath today....

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #1257 on: September 01, 2016, 10:21:24 PM »
Very nice! My X hasn't been that clean and shinney for the last 9 years, looks super sweet.... Desert season is approaching my friend!
Isaiah 6:8

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #1258 on: September 11, 2016, 08:56:41 AM »
Finally installed my snorkel.  Got it in last year's group buy on The New X (as in, a year ago!).  There was always something more urgent to be done.

I also ordered this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/122108897278

To get rid of the funky hose clamp.

And this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/54045335

To reduce the dust consumption on our trail runs.

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

beedee

« Reply #1259 on: September 11, 2016, 01:47:29 PM »
2" spacer and shackle lift went in Wednesday night. I had removed both sway bars for the install but ended up putting the front one back on the following night.