Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Commifornia "May I see your papers please?"  (Read 6989 times)

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
Commifornia "May I see your papers please?"
« on: June 12, 2019, 01:35:07 PM »
Commifornia got me again. 

I had to go to a new Smog Check this year, my old one could not afford to stay open.

Since I just replaced my Cats, I made sure that I had my CARB certificates in the glove box.

The guy says everything's OK, Except... My aftermarket intake manifold spacer isn't OEM and therefor wont pass HIS visual inspection.

He had no problem with the Magna Flow Cats by the way.  Didn't even ask for my damn paper work on that.

No, he demands California certification papers, that most aftermarket dealers can't afford to apply for.

Now I'm in the System as 'Tampered Emission Components'

Can I go to another shop to get sighed off?  Or do I start removing a fuel efficient part in order to pass smog?

Thanks for letting me vent my rant.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

Adam12SD

• 4wd Pts: 1
Re: Commifornia "May I see your papers please?"
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 02:41:19 PM »
This was my initial fear when researching the IMS. It is absolutely ridiculous that a device that purportedly actually helps with a more efficient engine is red flagged because of money.

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 03:00:50 PM »
It's actually kind of suprising they even noticed.  What color is yours?
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 04:34:10 PM »
So Randy.

I remember a discussion we had about you already owning property in Arizona.  You, too, can be an Arizona resident, with an Arizona ID card (don't need to turn in your CA driver's license), and register your vehicle in Arizona so you get Arizona plates, where they have no smog and charge you less than $100 for three years' vehicle registration.

Just sayin'.

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 04:35:59 PM »
Oh, and there are other (2A) advantages as well.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 04:48:10 PM »
I'm no expert on this and thankfully it's not in my scope of work but this link might give you some direction: https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/aftermarket-parts-verification

I "believe" you can also appeal a visual no-go as from this shop. The issue is he would have sent your trucks VIN and inspection results forward so the next shop would have to sign off and pass it. If you still run into some roadblocks let me know as I might have one other trick to pull out of my hat for the inspection that wouldn't jam you up down the road.
Isaiah 6:8

Adam12SD

• 4wd Pts: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 05:07:23 PM »
Oh, and there are other (2A) advantages as well.
(2A) rights. There, fixed it for ya.

I love Arizona.

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 08:49:21 PM »
Issue here is that the smog guy most likely flagged your truck with smog equipment tampering. Im in smogging days, if visually the vehicle didnt pass, we would flag it incase the customer wants to go to a "less detailed" smog tech and pass the vehicle.

anyone with smog test equipment runs your VIN, the flag will come up. If that "tampering" is not fixed after the 2nd time, vehicle will be referred as "STAR" test only. Thats where the ahole super detailed super tech are lurking...

these procedures may have changed since I smogged so dont quote me 100%. I feel bad now since I have flagged vehicles just because driver was a ahole to me or tried to tell me mods are legal without presenting ppwk.

valentin36

• 4wd Pts: 7
    • 2012 Nissan Xterra S
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 10:09:24 PM »
I would try a different shop. My IMS is gold(didnt choose color was a gift) and i still passed just fine. If you want i can check where i smogged it but it was down in the chula vista area.

Celt

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 11:06:20 PM »
Issue here is that the smog guy most likely flagged your truck with smog equipment tampering. Im in smogging days, if visually the vehicle didnt pass, we would flag it incase the customer wants to go to a "less detailed" smog tech and pass the vehicle.

anyone with smog test equipment runs your VIN, the flag will come up. If that "tampering" is not fixed after the 2nd time, vehicle will be referred as "STAR" test only. Thats where the ahole super detailed super tech are lurking...

these procedures may have changed since I smogged so dont quote me 100%. I feel bad now since I have flagged vehicles just because driver was a ahole to me or tried to tell me mods are legal without presenting ppwk.

EJSaurus in my opinion is 100% spot on with this. I would take his direction over the rest of our "outhouse" legal advice.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 12:38:18 AM »
Best bet is to remove the ims and get it smogged or better yet do what Tony said and register in AZ.  2yrs of registration will probably cost you less than the smog check.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

fourxfunk

• 4wd Pts: 14
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 01:40:27 PM »
Been there with my Subaru. Car had high flow cats and 3"exhaust but Passed emissions with flying colors. He failed me for the non CARB cats. Should a SMOG test not be based solely on the cars ability to achieve an acceptable level of emissions. I hate this leftist state. Oh well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 04:21:37 PM »
Thanks to all you guys for the great response to my rant. 

My IMS is blue.  The problem may be that I cleaned everything when I rebuilt my engine.  Note to self: stop cleaning stuff

I will try one more shop, with my story in hand.  Either he will do it or wont.  I wont risk another strike on my 'permanent record'.

Then before I pick up a wrench, I will Google 'Arizona ID card'.  And do what Tony has been telling me to do for years.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

FrankB

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 04:47:40 PM »
Thanks to all you guys for the great response to my rant. 

My IMS is blue.  The problem may be that I cleaned everything when I rebuilt my engine.  Note to self: stop cleaning stuff

I will try one more shop, with my story in hand.  Either he will do it or wont.  I wont risk another strike on my 'permanent record'.

Then before I pick up a wrench, I will Google 'Arizona ID card'.  And do what Tony has been telling me to do for years.

Out of curiosity - what happens when one gets stopped and the officer notices that the vehicle is registered to you at an address in Arizona, and your driver's license says that you live in California?  Perhaps my understanding is outdated - but I always thought that this would result in a problem.

Celt

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 05:05:46 PM »
Out of curiosity - what happens when one gets stopped and the officer notices that the vehicle is registered to you at an address in Arizona, and your driver's license says that you live in California?  Perhaps my understanding is outdated - but I always thought that this would result in a problem.

If you have a California driver's license, you can still possess an out of state registered vehicle but you will have to show that you reside in the other state more than here in California. Where it gets a little more sticky is if you have a out of state license and reside, school, work here without a valid exemption such as active duty military or on orders over 120 days etc. By the letter of the law if you live here you are required to have your vehicle registered in California. In my opinion that's more about how the DMV getting the registration money than anything. Upon demand, most of the time you would be fine pointing out the vehicle is maintained at your primary out of state residence where you primarily operate it. The reason you operate it in California is because you drive it back and forth to your secondary residence that you spend less time at here in California. You also should point out that California will not allow you to possess two different sates drivers licenses, so you want to be in compliance with California's good sense laws. You therefore maintain a California drivers license. Also point out that Arizona does not require you to have one of their drivers licenses even though you primarily reside there.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 05:35:56 PM by Celt »