Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Ever get pleasantly smacked by a time warp?  (Read 4097 times)

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
Ever get pleasantly smacked by a time warp?
« on: April 13, 2009, 07:14:27 PM »
So, as some of you know, I've taken a time out from my life to help out my folks as my mom winds things down with her cancer.  In coming home and spending all of my time here, I've repeatedly been surprised -- in a good way -- to see that as much as things are changing right now, much stays the same.

Today, I took a quick break to tinker with the X, tighten up a few loose things here and there and see what needs fixing in the near future (I've been letting things go in this arena lately).  I needed to borrow a few things from my dad, so we headed back to the old garage.

I found myself borrowing some of the same tools and jackstands I borrowed as a kid when I drove my folks nuts years ago, tearing apart my first engine or lifting our 4X4 in the driveway.  When I needed a torque wrench, my dad handed me one he bought new in the 70s -- and never used.  It was still in the box with the instructions.  I had to spritz it with some stuff to get the age-old grease broken free so it would work.  When I needed some wd-40 for the high lift, he handed me a like-new can from a store that closed eons ago, still had the Fedco price tag on it.  He even told me, "just lean it over the grass and spray it."  I was like, "are you kidding me?  I can't do that, you'll kill me!"  His tool box is mostly all woodworking tools with just a few shelves of car/metalworking tools; mine is pretty much exactly the opposite right down to the same shelf in the rollaway chest.

In the house I can still find just about everything.  On certain shelves are things that have been there since I was a child.  The back yard remains just as quiet and calm as it was back then, only smaller it seems.

Just throwing this out there.  Hope everyone's doing good and taking stock of the little things.  You might be pleasantly surprised when you need it the most.

I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

AV Xterra

• 4wd Pts: 7
Re: Ever get pleasantly smacked by a time warp?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 07:54:32 PM »
Very nice Bobby.  Maybe you can go home again if just for a little while.
I eat other peoples food.  It's a sickness.

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 07:59:11 PM »
{quote]Just throwing this out there.  Hope everyone's doing good and taking stock of the little things.  You might be pleasantly surprised when you need it the most.
[/quote]

Amen!

My father is in his mid-70's and is a three time cancer survivor. About five years ago he started giving me his father's tools ... wow. Just wow. There's not a bunch of them, a wood plane, some screw drivers, some old socket sets, a tap-n-die kit, not worth very much but worth everything to me. When I use the 75 year old tools it's special knowing that my grandfather long long ago used these same tools. So much of life today is throw away ... and not much seems to be important any more.

Hold on to your friends and your memories.  :)
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Soylent Yellow

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 5254
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 08:37:50 PM »
You're a good egg, Bobby.
I'd rather be happy than right any day.