Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Adding a CB  (Read 4195 times)

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
Adding a CB
« on: July 25, 2015, 10:32:59 PM »
So, after running with GreenGoon and Duff without a CB, I figured it was time to get a beginner's setup (I'll go HAM eventually). I was looking for a complete install kit and found the kit below. I just want to know what you experienced guys think. I'm probably going to go with the Firestik antenna, mounted in the hood channel. What do you all think?

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/collections/equipment-by-vehicle/products/uniden-jeep-off-road-cb-kit

Sent from my Nexus 5
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
Re: Adding a CB
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 10:36:13 PM »
Looks like a fine set up!

Probably would fit nicely in the spot under the armrest. 

Definitely start studying for that ham license! 
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 05:34:03 AM »
That's a nice set up Rik!

Glad they made the differentiation between Jeeps and off roaders.  ;)
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

GreenGoon

• 4wd Pts: 38
    • SAS'd 2000 X
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 08:32:09 AM »
That looks like a pretty standard set up.

I personally am not a fan of the firestik but that is because I'm not a fan of putting a transmitting antenna anywhere other than the roof for radio nerd reasons that are probably not much of an issue for our purposes. (RF radiation and directionlity) I also don't like how much they flop around when you wheel, but once again, I was running mine on the roof. Fiberglass antennas are also relatively fragile but people wheel with them all the time with minimal issue.

I run a quarter wave antenna with a base load so I don't have a huge whip on the roof. The quarter wave has it's own issues but my set up allows me to swap antennas with ham radios and scanners or a larger whip if I'd like. I recommend a set up like mine if you are serious about adding a ham. You can set up futures for all of your antennas now so you just have to install the radio when you get your ham.

my .02

Call me if you want more radio nerd talk.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 09:49:06 AM by GreenGoon »
WE6DGR

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
Re:
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 09:07:15 AM »
I'll definitely need to give you a call or talk to you more about the quarter wave setup. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Edit: Starting to read up a little about quarter wave and swapping over antennas. I'll definitely need to ask some questions, so please forgive my "noobness" when it comes to radios.

Sent from my Nexus 5
R. Long

GreenGoon

• SAS'd 2000 X
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
My CB antenna may even be a 1/8 wave as an unloaded whip for CB is still over 100". My ham antennas are straight 1/4 wave antennas which work pretty well for California's mountainous terrain.

I'll be home all afternoon if you want to give me a call.
WE6DGR

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
Re: Re: Adding a CB
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 08:38:56 PM »
My CB antenna may even be a 1/8 wave as an unloaded whip for CB is still over 100". My ham antennas are straight 1/4 wave antennas which work pretty well for California's mountainous terrain.

I'll be home all afternoon if you want to give me a call.
Sorry I missed you today, it's been a cluster getting settled into the house. I'll definitely give you a call this week because I want to get up and running with some sort of radio. I'll also do some reading when I have time.

Sent from my Nexus 5
R. Long

GreenGoon

• SAS'd 2000 X
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 09:06:15 PM »
I'll be around tomorrow too.
WE6DGR