Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: I'm new  (Read 9153 times)

MaxPower

• 4wd Pts: 18
I'm new
« on: May 03, 2011, 10:23:54 PM »
Hello.  Not sure if this is the correct spot for this but I wanted to introduce myself.  I'm Max and a proud new (6 weeks ago) owner of an 05 Off Road Xterra.  Haven't been off road in a while so I'm really excited to have the truck now and look forward to many adventures. 

Been saving $$ for a while now and I have some mods planned in the near future.  First, bumpers, skid plates and sliders from Hefty.  I ordered them today and they said 8 to 10 weeks.  I'd also like to do a lift and am thinking of PRGs 4WD Advanced Coilover Kit. The gps mount and gps, rubber floor mats, roof rack w/ hi lift and shovel mounts would be nice too.

Anyhoo, I'm in Covina and like Big Bear, Landers, 29 palms, palm springs and many more.  Not sure how this group feels about it so hear goes I'm also a geocacher and like to include caching on my trips when I can.

Hope to meet some like minded people on the trails.
This isn't Santa's Workshop.  This place smells like mushrooms and everyone looks like they want to hurt me.

leons240s

• 4wd Pts: 0
Re: I'm new
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:40:37 PM »
welcome to the club!
at risk of sounding stupid whats a geocacher? lol

MaxPower

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 11:04:15 PM »
at risk of sounding stupid whats a geocacher? lol

Not stupid at all.  I'm never sure of who knows about it and I saw some geocaching stickers in some of the photos so wasn't sure if there was a "group" feeling.  Anyway, geocaching.com is a treasure hunt type game using hand held gps devices.  There really is no real "treasure" other than the hunt.  It's a fun way to get yourself off the couch and a destination for off road adventures.
This isn't Santa's Workshop.  This place smells like mushrooms and everyone looks like they want to hurt me.

Oz

• 4wd Pts: 14
  • Cybernetic organism; living tissue over metal
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 08:47:19 AM »
Not stupid at all.  I'm never sure of who knows about it and I saw some geocaching stickers in some of the photos so wasn't sure if there was a "group" feeling.  Anyway, geocaching.com is a treasure hunt type game using hand held gps devices.  There really is no real "treasure" other than the hunt.  It's a fun way to get yourself off the couch and a destination for off road adventures.

Welcome! I'm in Upland so kinda close by.

RockinX

• 4wd Pts: 33
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 09:04:15 AM »
Hey, we're neighbors!  I'm in the West Covina/Hacienda Heights area.  Although we're right in the center of the action.... below Big Bear, above San Diego, and between Gorman and Joshua Tree, sometimes it would be nice to be a little closer to some good trails.  Lytle Creek and Cleghorn seem to be the closest. 

I'm a premium member on geocaching.com, although I have only one find.  Haha, I'm really bad at it but that is probably because I don't pursue it as much as I would like.  It would also help if I not wait until the day before I plan to do some caching to figure out/remember how to use my Garmin 60CS(no x).  My other 60CSx is laying on the ground in some remote area of the Mojave Desert where it got lost.  I think I also need to choose better geocaches.  It seems the ones I attempt are later reported as abandoned.

Anyways, welcome! 

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 02:14:58 PM »
Welcome. My wife and I have done some geocaching. You should join us on the Rattlesnake Canyon Xcursion. Print up some caches for along the way. Good excuse to stop and get out of the trucks and explore.
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

MaxPower

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 05:07:33 PM »
Thanks for the "welcome" messages!!!

RockinX - that stinks about your lost gps.  I started off years ago with the 60cs and really enjoyed it.  Got an Oregon 550 since it would hold all the cache information and keep track of the finds but now upgraded to a 62s and haven't been happier with a gps.  As for some fun caches there's PeeWee Lawn Jockey in Landers.  I'm sure some here have heard of it but if not it's a Lawn Jockey cemented to the top of a huge boulder out in the middle of no where.  Not a cache itself but there is one nearby.  There's another near the Burro Schmidt tunnel near Red Rock State Park N 35

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 08:13:25 PM »
Your stock skid plates will be sufficient. As far as sliders if someone is spotting you should be fine. See Pauls review in the Rattlesnake Canyon thread. 
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

FrankB

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 08:23:36 PM »
Welcome.

RockinX

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 08:39:46 PM »
There's another near the Burro Schmidt tunnel near Red Rock State Park N 35
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 11:45:07 PM by RockinX »

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 09:07:06 PM »
Welcome aboard.
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

dhsundance

• 4wd Pts: 0
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 10:30:17 PM »
As for some fun caches there's PeeWee Lawn Jockey in Landers.  I'm sure some here have heard of it but if not it's a Lawn Jockey cemented to the top of a huge boulder out in the middle of no where. 

Check out this photo of the Lawn Jockey and the tiny Xterras below. It is a bit of a hike up to the top. Welcome to the forum and if you'd like to cache some time shoot me an email.

dhatch27@sbcglobal.net

2004 Jeep Wrangler with anti-torsion bar package and roll up window mod

KJ6FRP

MaxPower

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 10:43:29 PM »
Your stock skid plates will be sufficient. As far as sliders if someone is spotting you should be fine. See Pauls review in the Rattlesnake Canyon thread. 

Okay then I'm thinking I'm in for this trip.  Let me check on work for a final okay but I want to go!

MaxPower

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 10:49:17 PM »
Hope to see you on the trails!

I tried the link and couldn't get it to work.  That's awesome that you have been there already.  It was a few years ago for me and when I had a 4runner.  I'm ready to go back again especially with a locker in the rear end. 

RockinX

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 11:44:32 PM »
I tried the link and couldn't get it to work.  That's awesome that you have been there already.  It was a few years ago for me and when I had a 4runner.  I'm ready to go back again especially with a locker in the rear end. 

Oops, fixed it...I had tried to get fancy with the link.  Dave (dhsundance) really knows his stuff when it comes to geocaching.  I wouldn't be surprised if he has thousands of finds in addition to a lot of hides.