Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: New X owner in Carlsbad  (Read 16111 times)

SoCalx

• 4wd Pts: 1
New X owner in Carlsbad
« on: February 21, 2011, 08:03:20 AM »
Hi all!  I'm second time X owner. I just bought a new 2011 X S and I'm looking for places to off-road in my new ride! Message me for info or for group offroad excursions. I'm located in Carlsbad. I heard Borrego and Mojave are fun.  Can't wait for Moab!  Anyone know any cool trails in Big Bear or Yosemite? 
-Mike

InsideOut104

• 4wd Pts: 3
Re: New X owner in Carlsbad
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 08:24:36 AM »
Welcome! I got my 2010 SE brand new in Novemeber and I have yet to go on a trip. Thinking about a camping trip in March or April out in Borrego! I'm located in Santee.

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 08:59:11 AM »
Welcome to the club Mike. I know it's a long ways off but I am planning a Rattlesnake/Big Bear Xcursion in May. Keep your eye on this board, I'm sure something else will pop up before then. You could also use the time for some mods. IE: Sliders,skidplates.
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 04:10:59 PM »
Welcome by.
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 09:20:28 AM »
Hi all!  I'm second time X owner. I just bought a new 2011 X S and I'm looking for places to off-road in my new ride! Message me for info or for group offroad excursions. I'm located in Carlsbad. I heard Borrego and Mojave are fun. Can't wait for Moab!  Anyone know any cool trails in Big Bear or Yosemite?  
-Mike

Welcome Mike, great group of Xterra owners here.

Are you planning on heading to GoneMoab?

Check out www.gonemoab.com for details.  A few of us from California are caravaning over, you are more than welcome to join us.

Good call on the sliders and skids as first mods, check out Hefty Fabworks and Schrockworks.

I live in Escondido, and , Marc, Arch'sX lives in Carlsbad too.

Hope to meet you on the trail!

John, GhostX
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

boomer818

• 4wd Pts: 2
  • Dirty White Knight
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 09:08:41 PM »
welcome to the club, lots of great people to meet and more than helpfull if you got questions or thoughts.
If you dont have mud you have nothing.

FrankB

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 09:37:11 PM »
Welcome.  There are several of us in the San Diego area.

Keep an eye on the Xcursions Forum - something should pop up soon, even if it's just a day trip to Anza Borrego.

SoCalx

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 11:39:09 PM »
Great to hear this board is still active and kicking! Thanks for the welcome!  Do you guys know any "warm up ride" around here that don't require skid plates and sliders?  I want to get out this  What trails can I ride stock?  Maybe day trip to Anza?

@ghostx: I'd love to head out to Moab but I likely wont have mods by then!  I was hoping to make the trip and tag along for the first year!  it looks amazing!

@Goldfish: I'll keep an eye out for the Rattlesnake/Big Bear May trip!  Thnx

@InsideOut104: my wife and I love to camp so maybe we can tag along in March/ April.

-Mike

FrankB

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 11:46:26 PM »
. . . .  Do you guys know any "warm up ride" around here that don't require skid plates and sliders?  I want to get out this  What trails can I ride stock?  Maybe day trip to Anza?
 . . . . .  -Mike

Mike, there are lots of trails in Anza Borrego that you can do stock. Check the Xcursion Guidelines thread for a list of good guidebooks, that is one way to start.

You could also go to the Pictures Forum here and check out any of the Anza Borrego picture threads that I've started, or that are for runs that I've led.  All of those routes can easily be done stock.  A few of my favorites in terms of scenery are:

- Fish Creek / Sandstone Canyon
- Arroyo Salado / 17 Palms Oasis Area
- Blair Valley
- Buttes Pass and Borrego Mountain Area.

All of those trailheads are an easy drive from San Diego.

If you see someplace you want to go, and have a specific date in mind, you can always put up a post and see if anyone wants to join you.

SoCalx

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 07:38:40 AM »
Thanks Frank.  I'll check out the Xcursions and photos and post if I'm planning to go out. 

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 10:45:04 AM »
Great to hear this board is still active and kicking! Thanks for the welcome!  Do you guys know any "warm up ride" around here that don't require skid plates and sliders?  I want to get out this  What trails can I ride stock?  Maybe day trip to Anza?

@ghostx: I'd love to head out to Moab but I likely wont have mods by then!  I was hoping to make the trip and tag along for the first year!  it looks amazing!

@Goldfish: I'll keep an eye out for the Rattlesnake/Big Bear May trip!  Thnx

@InsideOut104: my wife and I love to camp so maybe we can tag along in March/ April.

-Mike

Mike, feel free to tag along.  The drive is great, and the green trails are doable stock.  A friend of mine did Porcupine Rim in a bone stock OR model.  I will be leading the Top of The World Trail at GoneMoab this year, which has a trail rating of Green.  You could definitely do this stock with some patient spotting.  Let me know if you are interested, and visit the link I posted earlier.

Like Frank B. mentioned in his post above, there are some great trails available locally too.

John, GhostX
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:46:54 AM by GhostX »
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

SoCalx

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 12:34:49 PM »
Unfortunately, I will be back in Massachusetts that weekend for graduation!  I guess we'll have to wait until next year.  I would have loved to tag along and try the green's stock.

Impact619

• 2011 Night Armor Pro-4X
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 12:27:21 PM »
Welcome, Mike!

I just got my second X as well, a 2011 Pro-4X.  I work over in Oceanside on weekend evenings if you're ever out looking for a cold beverage... ; D  PM me and I can give ya details...

-Thomas-

SoCalx

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 08:42:33 AM »
Nice! I drove the ProX but tried to stay on the cheaper end.  It's a solid offroad vehicle!  I can always go for a cold one on the weekends!

SoCalx

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 12:38:55 PM »
Welcome! I got my 2010 SE brand new in Novemeber and I have yet to go on a trip. Thinking about a camping trip in March or April out in Borrego! I'm located in Santee.

Chad,
are you still planning a camping trip?  Karen and I would be interested.  We might actually head out there this weekend.  Also looking into Yosemite later this spring.