Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: New Member  (Read 6147 times)

BanditX

• 4wd Pts: 0
« on: November 08, 2010, 10:01:35 AM »
Hello everybody.  My name is Steve and I recently purchased a 2011 pro 4x after finding out my fiancee Laura and I were expecting.  My girl wanted a car and I wanted a full sized diesel 4x4, so we made a compromise with the X and I love it.  I had to get the Pro 4x of course.  I looked around for a 2010 Offroad but couldn't find one so I went with the 2011.  I'm looking forward to modding in the future after the factory warranty expires.  I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to the X right now that wouldn't void the warranty?  I need to look in to that.  Maybe a set of slider?  Oh, I met Sturndog and his wife a couple of days ago over in Torrance.  I ended up parking next to him and spent about 10 minutes admiring the work he's done on his X.  My fiancee had to drag me away so that we could do our shopping  Looking forward to meeting other great people here and wheeling with everybody soon.  Is there anybody planning to do a moderate run in Big Bear or any of the local mountains any time soon?  Laura loves the forests and the snow but we don't want to shake her and the baby up too much.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 03:37:22 AM by BanditX »

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 12:06:53 PM »
Welcome aboard.  I'm sure there will be plenty of ops to take it out soon.

Shoot, a 2011 X.  All of a sudden my 2002 feels...old.
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

boomer818

• 4wd Pts: 2
  • Dirty White Knight
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 12:59:29 PM »
Welcome, hope to see you on our runs like the one on the 20th of this month at Anza Berago.
If you dont have mud you have nothing.

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 03:29:34 PM »
The McClure Volcker act (sounds like that) makes the dealer have to prove anything that you've done to your truck is the cause of a break down. Hanging better skid plates, sliders, and steel bumpers isn't going to effect the transmission, fuel system, or radio - anything effecting those other things and a hundred more aren't the fault of a modification. About the riskiest thing I've done warranty wise is changing the factory air cleaner for one that can be cleaned and reused (K&H). The VQ engine is what - two decades old - and appears in the top ten engines every year, year-after-year. The biggest risk I see others doing is modifying their lift extensively and wheel size beyond factory sized. The lift changes the angles between the transfer case and differentials. The larger wheels and tires add rotational mass which is going to load up the drive train beyond the stock engineered numbers. The folks back east get happy on the skinny petal playing in the mud and they have a far higher insistence of differentials exploding.

I've added lots of modifications to the truck and have zero worry about my warranty. Warranty covers shopping malls ... not Death Valley, the Bradshaw Trail, and Mojave Road.  ;D

If you follow the main runs of the club you'll find that we're pretty concerned about our daily drivers and aren't out to violate the warranty nor pile up body, frame, and suspension damage. I've made two or three dozen runs in the last four years and have tore open one tire sidewall (covered under America Tires' warranty!) on a rock, broke two sway bar mounts ($12 part) on the Mojave Trail, two mud flaps (first run!) on Rattlesnake Canyon, and my worst was blowing one of the factory strut ($70 which I had been driving over stressed for two years on lift springs) near Bell Mountain. In return I have made dozens and dozens of friends and toured places you only see in the movies or in documentaries.

You bought a rugged 4WD truck for a reason, you paid several thousand dollars more for the stronger suspension and drive train ... now have fun with them.  8)
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 04:48:23 PM »
Welcome Bandit. Big Bear is one of my wife and I's favorite places. Depending on how much snow we get this year, I may try to put something together sometime in the beginning of the year.
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

AV Xterra

• 4wd Pts: 7
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 07:22:48 PM »
Welcome. I haven't cruised the Nissan website in awhile. what's a Pro 4x?
I eat other peoples food.  It's a sickness.

GUANO

• 4wd Pts: 4
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 08:46:33 PM »
Pro-4x = Off-Road model.

FrankB

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 09:05:06 PM »
Welcome.  Hope you can make it on the 20th.

BanditX

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 03:42:00 AM »
I believe that for 2010 the Pro 4x is just a trim package with leather seats.  For 2011 they dropped the Off Road and renamed it Pro 4x.  You can get the pro 4x with the pro 4x cloth or leather seats.  So Paul,  I should be fine installing the bumpers and sliders right now?   I would like to order the Shrockworks sliders first.  Can I put on the sliders designed for the Body Lift now while it is still stock, or do I need to order the non BL sliders?  Will the non Body Lift sliders still offer enough protection when I do finally get the body lift down the line, or will I need to replace them?  I would also like to get the front bumper that OZ has.  That thing is sweet.  Is that a Shrockworks front bumper?  Darn, what order should I do this in?  Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just eager to catch up in the mod race.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 04:01:17 AM by BanditX »

Goldfish

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 06:06:36 PM »
Are you sure you want to do a body lift? Take your time and research. Look at suspension lift vs body lift. Maybe you want to do both?
Don

BanditX

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 06:56:54 PM »
I would like to get the suspension lift and body lift later, but I want to get the sliders now.  But which ones?

Goldfish

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 04:55:50 PM »
You may want to check out thenewX.org to see what if any options you have on sliders. Shrock seems to be the most popular but don't expect to get them anytime soon. Most everything from them takes 3 to 6 months to be delivered.
Don

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 01:16:39 AM »
Haha, i was there when Paul popped his tire!   You need to look into  4x4parts.com and Calmini for alternatives to the sliders.  Then tires next but only if you're due for them.
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

GUANO

• 4wd Pts: 4
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 09:39:31 AM »
You won't want to put on bumpers or sliders until you get the body lift...