Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: update on my trip out from afghanistan  (Read 7535 times)

doc miles

• 4wd Pts: 0
update on my trip out from afghanistan
« on: September 18, 2009, 03:50:59 AM »
Well it looks like my x will have new uca's, new shocks and possibly new springs.  My dad recieved my Total Chaos UCA's bout 5 days ago, my bils should be on my front step next week. The back end is gettin Deaver springs, although Im not sure wether an AAL or a whole new spring pack is the way to go.  Oh yea I am lookin at goin out between the 14-19 of oct so if anyone is free during that time and knows of any spots an x equipped as such could handle please share/show. 

much love from afghanistan, doc

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
Re: update on my trip out from afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 08:57:42 AM »
If you have the $$ go for the spring pack.
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

doc miles

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 02:00:58 PM »
I have been lookin further into it and I am also gettin a set of adjustable shackles from prg for future use, or for added fun.  So um where does everyone suggest going, Im planning on being offroad for upwards of 5 days so Im not sure where i should go and see first or what my new suspension will be capable of.  any advice? favorite spots, good sights,  fun trailing and deserted sleeping areas.

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 09:07:34 PM »
5-Days - up the Mojave Road and then back down the Bradshaw Trails - that will take you the best part of five days and you're rarely hit pavement.
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 09:31:24 PM »
Exploring the Eastern Sierra is always good.  A run out to Moab, Arches and Canyonlands would be great too.
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

doc miles

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 01:05:50 PM »
I am looking for sumthing that I can se up a base camp or come back to on the third day, turn out my sister has a concert on the 16th so my presence is requested there.  My plans for wheelin have been turned on its ear by my fam, my parents are lookin at joining me on the third day with a trailer and my dads f-150 2wd so we will see how far he can go, but it looks like it will be some in depth exploring of johnson valley and hopefully some yucca valley fun aswell.

But in hardware news, my shocks are late and shoulda arrived a lil while ago.  My uca's are there and deaver suggested reworking the current leaf pack and possibly adding another leaf for around $250 compared to $750 for a new pack.

doc miles

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 05:35:15 AM »
alright so Im sitting in kuwait right now waiting on a flight that wont seem to arrive ever.  I was just wondering, to everyone who has been there, would yall say stoddard valley or johnson valley are better for fun and testing a trucks new abilities.  I am also looking for a base camp and a main road that is accessible to a 4x2 f150 hauling a 16 ft trailer. 

I am scheduled to join all you nice socal people tomorrow around 2pm. 

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 12:01:44 PM »
You know, if you haven't committed yet, Big Bear might be a good destination.  Lots of varying trails within easy reach of BB, you can trailer in and out, have some places to go eat and check out, camp nearby, etc.

Something to think about.  IMHO, Stoddard is rutted hillside fireroads and Johnson valley would be a better choice out of the two.  I'd explore Big Bear if you're staying in the area. 
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

Goldfish

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 03:21:21 PM »
X2 on what Bobby said. Big Bear is great this time of year.
Don

FrankB

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 03:48:34 PM »
Big Bear is probably way more scenic, especially this time of year, but Joshua Tree might work for you too. The campsites are all off of paved or well graded dirt roads, and from there you could explore out into the old mining districts just outside the Park boundary. Considering that you are just returning from Afghanistan, you might really appreciate the trees in Big Bear.

Have a safe trip home.

doc miles

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 11:01:01 AM »
hey thanks so much for y'alls input and help.  Well I have been back stateside since last thursday and have finished everything minus my new headunit.  I ended up achieving 4 inches of lift in the front and almost 2 in the rear.  that is not counting my 265/75r16 toyo's so Im sittin exactly where I want to be for the time being.  I ran into a problem with the camber and toe in on my truck so I got the adjustable cam bolts from the dealer and that is nearly fixed and I had some really gnarly toe in(nearly 2 inches) I took it to get it aligned and teh guy told me he couldnt do anything for it.  so found out what we had to fix and now it drives better than it did when I bought it.  once again thank you for helping me out with everything guys.

Goldfish

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 04:03:47 PM »
Welcome home. Look forward to meeting you out on the trail.
Don

RockinX

• 4wd Pts: 33
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 09:52:29 PM »
Well I have been back stateside since last thursday and have finished everything minus my new headunit. 

Have you decided which HU you are going to get?  I have the Kenwood DNX 6140 (older model now) that has GPS navigation by Garmin (including topo capability), USB, iPod, bluetooth, HD ready, XM/Sirius ready, DVD, etc.  You can download GPS waypoints for the trails in Charles Wells' Guide to Southern Califronia Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails from funtreks.com onto the unit, although I haven't done that yet.  I am running Infiniti Kappas all the way around with an Infiniti amp.  I still need a subwoofer and am considering a bazooka since they don't take up too much space.  It's a nice unit.