Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Yet another new guy... I want to go camping!  (Read 6214 times)

cesupro

• 4wd Pts: 0
Yet another new guy... I want to go camping!
« on: May 28, 2009, 06:06:06 PM »
Hey guys,
   I got turned on to this place from thenewx.org.  Looks like the perfect place for socal'ers.  We JUST got our NEW 2008 xterra last weekend.  Should be a lot of fun.  It is just the X trim -- but, it is 4x4.  I want to take the lady camping with it (it's actually hers...) and also want to offroad on the way there... any top recommendations for some fun roads leading to good camping?  My only offroad experience (besides dirtbikes) was in a little suzuki 4x4 down in Costa Rica -- that was fun!  So, suffice it to say, I am new to this... so, nothing TOO hard yet.  But, I would like something that will make me turn the 4LO on  ;D 

So, any suggestions... I am in West Los Angeles area... not looking to go TOO far (up to about 4 hours or so...?)

I did try the search function... but, this forum does it weird.  If this topic has been discussed a lot, I am more than okay with someone who is more familiar with the search function finding the thread and posting it here for me.  I will read it thoroughly and stop bugging you!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 06:08:19 PM by cesupro »

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
Re: Yet another new guy...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 06:16:47 PM »
Hi! I think I was the guy who waved you over here. Welcome to the site.

There are a number of good books covering SoCal and the one I recommend first is Charles A. Wells "Guide to Southern California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails". Since you're experienced but the truck is new I'd recommend staying to the "moderate" ratings rather than jumping into Miller Jeep Trail, Sledgehammer, John Bull, and Dishpan Springs.

Within four hours are the trails of Big Bear, the Inland Empire, and Santa Barbara. For a first time go I'd highly recommend taking a trip up north to Hungry Valley where there is an off-road adventure park. The trails in the park are pretty easy with some moderate parks to be found. Uniquely there is a "play ground" where the park has set up some obstacles to play on from some easy hill climbing to tougher hill climbing and a nice mini-black diamond (difficult) trail. The nice thing about going alone to Hungry Valley is that you're not alone - there's normally lots of people to help you out.
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
Re: Yet another new guy... I want to go camping!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 07:23:54 PM »
Welcome.

As Paul says, the Wells books are good.

Lots of camping and wheeling opportunities around.  Some of the desert stuff isn't a great idea real soon due to the heat, but other places like the eastern sierra and even Frazier park might be fun.
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

cesupro

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 09:48:23 AM »
Yes, it was you, Paul!  Thanks!

I don't think we're quite up to the snuff for any Xcursions yet.  We'll need to purchase a few things for those.  But, like I said.  I'd like to just try some 4x4 Camping.  I'm thinking something off the Kern River maybe (I've been reading about 22S82..... They don't even name these roads something nice anymore, eh?).  I guess I'll have to buy some OHV maps, at the least.  Do most nav systems have a lot of OHV roads in them too?  If we were to look at fastracking our plans for a nav system (we're not in a rush for one....... but, if it saves $15 a map times 5............$75 in .... maps!?)

Right now, we are BONE stock.  We are looking at getting some Offroad rims maybe (like, the ones actually off the OR model)... the step rails... and maybe those door ding bumper things off the OR model as well.  Then we'll be set for a bit.  I think.  Externally. 

Then, I guess we have to make a check list of necessary things for these intense Xcursions...

(Not a great picture... but, y'all know what these things look like anyways)

AV Xterra

• 4wd Pts: 7
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 09:56:09 PM »
Welcome
I eat other peoples food.  It's a sickness.

xperienced

• Glamis wall ride- all stock
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 04:23:32 PM »
welcome... lets go rompin!

boats

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 07:19:54 PM »
welcome. If you ever want to head up to Joshua Tree let me know. JT is stock friendly and there are a few camp sites.

cesupro

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 09:20:06 AM »
So, I'd like to go somewhere nice and relaxing... but not TOO secluded.  Last time we went came there was no one for miles.... and we had a bear incident.... city folk don't like that sort of thing.  So, I'd like to go somewhere where people are at least in hollering distance.  I was thinking something up near the Kern river, do you guys know of some popular camp sites up there?

(we're loving the x, btw)