Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: where to start?  (Read 5732 times)

ERNurseScott

• 4wd Pts: 0
  • Can't wait to start mod'ing...when I have the $$!!
where to start?
« on: March 23, 2012, 05:15:08 AM »
Well guys, it looks like I'll be able to start mods to my still 100% factory stock '09 Xterra. Where should I start?! My ambitions are not to climb 20ft boulders or completely defy the laws of gravity but I do plan on some mild to moderate off roading in Sedona and Flagstaff. Should suspension/lift be first? New front end? a snorkel for wash passes? There's so much I want to do and just need some guidance on where a good starting point would be.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 10:02:43 AM by FrankB »

FrankB

Re: where to start?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 10:02:54 AM »

Depending on what you have now, I would suggest starting with some good all-terrain tires. For this part of the world BFG All Terrains (A/T KO) work great, and will make a huge difference that you'll notice right away. They handle really well on pavement too.

InsideOut104

• 4wd Pts: 3
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 10:14:25 AM »
PRG Products 4wd Advanced Lift Kit, Tires, Rock Sliders.

REMOVE all mud flaps and side steps.

This should give you a good start! Also, check out TheNewX.org (http://www.thenewx.org/forum/index.php)

Good luck!

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 04:35:58 PM »
I asked the same thing 4 yrs ago and found out that tires are the most important.  The Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracks are a step up from the BFG AT's while still being quiet.  Get a good tire psi gauge and a trail compressor that clips on to the battery.  You will need it to air back up after the trail run.  Pep Boys has a good one, the Tsunami MF-1050, for $60.  Check.out several of the Xterra forums.  they all have something to offer.  Most of us are registered with several.
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 06:38:13 PM »
Welcome to the Club!

I concur with FrankB and Superslidestyle (Irwin) on the first mod being tires.  The question next would be what size.  Either 265/75/16 or 285/75/16's are good, however with the 285's you will get some fender rub in front.

Search "melt mod" over on thenewx.org to solve that issue.

Next would be either suspension or sliders, and then skid plates.

Suspension:  you can start with a PML (poor man's lift) which is essentially 2" coil bucket spacers and adjustable shackles for the rear.  Or, plan ahead and get the recommended above PRG Advanced 4WD lift, which includes coilovers, new upper control arms, add a leafs in the rear, and new rear shocks.  Check out PRG products for prices and specs.

Sliders:  Hefty Fabworks or Shrockworks are the two most popular, although there are several other manufacturers out there as well.

Skids:  Both of the above mentioned companies make skid plates as well, that cover the radiator, engine, transfer case, transmission, and gas tank for the 2nd Gen Xterra.  Pick your poison.

Having owned both products, the fit and finish of the Shrockworks cannot be denied, but the "wait time" for their products is the caveat:  often times 120-180 days out.  One tip:  if you order from either company, product lead time can be saved if you order the skids "raw," or "unpainted."  Then, prime them and bedline them to finish.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 06:39:06 PM »
Good luck, and post up some photos of your X in Display Case so we can all watch the progress.  :)
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »
Do a little at a time.  If it breaks, upgrade it.  Eventually it becomes a lot, especially if you keep it your X for years.
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD