Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: new to website and club  (Read 4828 times)

ERNurseScott

• 4wd Pts: 0
  • Can't wait to start mod'ing...when I have the $$!!
new to website and club
« on: December 12, 2011, 03:59:46 AM »
Hey everyone! I'm not in southern Cal but saw a sticker on an Xterra here in central Phoenix the other day and it spiked my interest. I love what my 09 Xterra S has offered me so far but I'm looking to upgrade in the near future to either 4x4 or the off road edition. Granted, I'm not a huge off roader, but my wife and I truly enjoy the trails that are available to us when we visit family in Flagstaff and of course in Sedona. I am looking for some honest advice...for mild to moderate off roading, what are your opinions comparing the 4x4 S model to the off road? Should a 3" lift be sufficient? Where would be the best (economical and practical) place to research to get a lift? Lastly, what companies offer sturdy grill brushes guards or is the Nissan aftermarket one a good choice?
Like I said, I'm not in SoCal but any advise to a first time Xterra owner would be greatly appreciated! And who knows...SoCal isn't that far away so maybe I'll get to meet up with you guys in the near future!
Oh, one more thing...I need opinions on the tent that attaches to the rear hatch of the Xterra. Worth the money?
Thanks in advance guys!

FrankB

Re: new to website and club
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 07:21:41 AM »
Hello and welcome to the club.  That was probably me you saw in Phoenix the other day.  Black 2005 S with a mild lift, Yak rak on the roof, and a lot of desert pinstripping.  Parking lot at the Heard Museum by any chance?  I think I parked next to a newer Xterra while there.

MaxPower

• 4wd Pts: 18
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 07:45:14 AM »
Hey everyone! I'm not in southern Cal but saw a sticker on an Xterra here in central Phoenix the other day and it spiked my interest. I love what my 09 Xterra S has offered me so far but I'm looking to upgrade in the near future to either 4x4 or the off road edition. Granted, I'm not a huge off roader, but my wife and I truly enjoy the trails that are available to us when we visit family in Flagstaff and of course in Sedona. I am looking for some honest advice...for mild to moderate off roading, what are your opinions comparing the 4x4 S model to the off road? Should a 3" lift be sufficient? Where would be the best (economical and practical) place to research to get a lift? Lastly, what companies offer sturdy grill brushes guards or is the Nissan aftermarket one a good choice?
Like I said, I'm not in SoCal but any advise to a first time Xterra owner would be greatly appreciated! And who knows...SoCal isn't that far away so maybe I'll get to meet up with you guys in the near future!
Oh, one more thing...I need opinions on the tent that attaches to the rear hatch of the Xterra. Worth the money?
Thanks in advance guys!

Hey welcome to the club.  First there are others here that have much more experience than I do with the X but it
This isn't Santa's Workshop.  This place smells like mushrooms and everyone looks like they want to hurt me.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 10:14:01 AM »
Hello and welcome to the club.  That was probably me you saw in Phoenix the other day.  Black 2005 S with a mild lift, Yak rak on the roof, and a lot of desert pinstripping.  Parking lot at the Heard Museum by any chance?  I think I parked next to a newer Xterra while there.

My money is on the Frank B. sighting...just too coincidental.  Nice job marketing the Club Frank!  ;)

Excellent post Max, and well written on a rainy day.

The only things that I would add to answer the OP's (original posters) questions would be:

1.  Really try to plan for the type of off roading you will be doing before your purchase your Xterra.  That sounds like what you are doing which is great, but spend some time surfing the Threads both here and over at the site Max mentioned, thenewx.org.  There is so much information about lifts, tires, trails, locked vs. open diffs, that it will make your head spin.  But, it will help you focus in on the type of driving that you will be doing so you can be more specific with your purchase.  Also, you would be surprised what a tire upgrade can do to increase your capability for mild to moderate off roading.  Look at a good set of A/T (all terrain) tires, usually available in stock sizes (265/70/16) as well.  The BFGoodrich A/T KO's are a good choice, as well as the Falken Wild Peak series.  Both tires provide good on road/off road performance. 

2.  Brush/grille guard/front bumper mods:  DON"T buy a brush guard/grille guard, as IMO (in my opinion) they are only for show, and provide no real world protection.  Besides, the brush you will be running through will grab your headlights anyhow, and if we are all adhering to the Tread Lightly principles, why would you run over a tree??  ;D  The aftermarket brush guards/grille guards will bend into your plastic front bumper/grille if any mild contact is made, damaging more than actually protecting.  Buying a true steel front bumper (Shrockworks/Hefty Fabworks, etc.) will set you back at least $1,000 and some time waiting for delivery, BUT will provide serious front end protection. (most steel front bumpers also come with a radiator skid plate as well).  This will also give you a strong platform to mount some aftermarket lights for night time off roading, but again, several of us have lights on our trucks and rarely go night driving off road.  (We just think it looks cool.  ;))  Mounting the front bumper would also answer some of Max's points, as the additional weight will need to be address with a suspension upgrade.  I won't get into specifics on this, as the conversation could go in several directions (spring rate, suspension before bumper, etc.) but suffice to say the more steel you add to protect, it will impact your stock suspension AND gas mileage.  BTW:  (by the way) keep in mind that once you start adding new tires, skid plates, rocker panel slider protection, you can kiss the days of high mileage (18+ per gallon) away.  My truck averages 14 city highway now with a full set of skids, front and rear bumpers, and sliders. 

3.  If you plan on cruising trails like Schnebly Hill Road in Sedona on a regular basis, a 4x4 S Model Xterra will serve you fine.  If you plan on driving trails like Broken Arrow, a Pro4X with rear locker is a more suitable platform to start with.

4.   Max answered the tent/camping question well, and the only thing I would add is that the rear hatch tents for the Xterra are great if you are sleeping inside the Xterra in a campground where there will be no wind.  Other than that, camp inside with the hatch closed or purchase a nice 3 season dome tent from REI with some plush sleeping pads.

Good luck, welcome to SCCX, and hopefully we can meet you some time. 

Also, there is a great Club in your area, Arizona Xterra Club, or AZXC.  There is a member here, 11Pro4X, and if you PM (private message, similar to email but through the site here) him he can give you more info on the Arizona group as well. 
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 02:13:29 PM »
Welcome aboard.  Lots of great places to explore out your way.

As far as lift, a "lift" isn't as important as a good "suspension" that will enhance your capabilities.  Lifts just make room for bigger tires and don't necessarily improve things.  PRG offers great stuff that will both improve your truck's capabilities and capacity.  Just getting a lift for lift's sake probably won't help you much.  Think traction and protection, along stuff that makes your trips fun and more enjoyable.
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

ERNurseScott

• 4wd Pts: 0
  • Can't wait to start mod'ing...when I have the $$!!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 03:44:33 AM »
Sorry for the delay in responding...had some medical issues crop up and I've been out of comission for a while. Thank you all for your input...very insightful. I'd be lying if I said I knew everything you guys were talking about as I'm very new to getting into off-roading and added mods plus I'm not car savvy to begin with!!! FrankB...I actually saw you in the turn lane to go east on I-10 from 7th ave (right by my house).
Again, thanks for the info...hope to meet up with you guys soon!

11Pro4X

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 07:19:01 AM »
Haha it was me he saw!  Thanks John for the sticker!  Now we have a new SCCX and AZXC member!  Woo hoo