Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Electrical Woes  (Read 3463 times)

ghenderson21

• 4wd Pts: 6
    • 2012 Super Black S
Electrical Woes
« on: June 22, 2019, 03:55:01 PM »
X-posted on TNW, but I like you guys better! lol.

Hey guys, having some electrical issues that I can't quite peg

My blower vent is on full blast when I start the car, or the key is in the "ON" position. I replaced the battery, and just today the blower motor resistor.

The other part of it that has me confused, is the gauge "shake" when I initially turn the key to the ON positions. Gauges shake, freak out for a second, then normalize and show everything is fine. I have no lights on, that would indicate anything crazy happening. ALSO, it seems I have no power going to the OBD port either as I have a wifi dongle, and a cheap code reader that can't get any power.

I've been through the following so far to no avail, still have the same issue:

-New Battery
-New Blower Motor Resistor
-Checked fuses and relays
-Checked the battery cables
-Went through as many ground connections as I could find
-Autozone tried to check the alternator, but couldn't get it straight through the battery, with the motor ground, it read 12.9 volts. (Brand New Battery)

I'm not the best with electrical stuff, however, I'd like to tackle this myself if anyone has any suggestions.

thanks in advance for anyone that takes the time and has any insight.

On a side note, I miss the SoCal Xterra people! Hope everyone is doing well

Thanks

Geoff

Adam12SD

• 4wd Pts: 1
Re: Electrical Woes
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 06:48:20 PM »
Hmmm. That's a weird one. I'd check all ground connections, test light all fuses and maybe even all relays...

It's possible there is a short somewhere... Could be anywhere, too. Hopefully someone can chime in with a little more specificity or knowledge.

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 10:06:26 AM »
Hmmm. That's a weird one. I'd check all ground connections, test light all fuses and maybe even all relays...

It's possible there is a short somewhere... Could be anywhere, too. Hopefully someone can chime in with a little more specificity or knowledge.

Just to piggy-back on this comment a little....check the battery connections....I had a weird electrical issue that bled my battery and caused outages at lights, etc.....turns out the negative connection was corroded down to the ground.  Check and re-check those cables just to at least confirm it's not battery related.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 10:27:18 AM »
Just to piggy-back on this comment a little....check the battery connections....I had a weird electrical issue that bled my battery and caused outages at lights, etc.....turns out the negative connection was corroded down to the ground.  Check and re-check those cables just to at least confirm it's not battery related.

This.

Xterras are noteworthy for their electrical gremlins and relay issue acronyms (IPDM, ECU, etc.). 

Search those terms here and on TNX and it might help you with some clues that hopefully work towards solutions.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

ghenderson21

• 4wd Pts: 6
    • 2012 Super Black S
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 04:30:02 PM »
Thank you all for the help.

I checked all the connections the other day, and re-checked em again after that.

I ended up going back through the fuses and relays, and found that the fuse that I changed inside the extended storage switch was a bad, new fuse. Swapped it back out and now we are back to normal. What an adventure that was trying to peg that one. Bummer that the new fuse was a bad one. Guess I will start testing before they go in from now on...

thanks guys

Geoff

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 10:29:40 PM »
Glad you got it figured out Geoff.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk