Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Anza Borrego - Saturday 3 March 2012 - 2WD Friendly  (Read 18538 times)

FrankB

Anza Borrego - Saturday 3 March 2012 - 2WD Friendly
« on: February 13, 2012, 11:03:32 AM »
Edited to add details:

Blair Valley Loop, Anza Borrego Desert State Park, with hiking to Ghost Mountain (Marshal South home site), Morteros and Pictograph Hiking Trails.

This is a mild one, with probably more time out of the trucks hiking than driving. Blair Valley Loop is an easy 14 miles or so of mostly sandy trail, with 3 nice hikes along the way. We've done this one a few times in the past, there are picture threads in case you're wondering what it looks like.

Meet Time / Spot: Saturday March 3, 2012 - 10:00 AM at Blair Valley Primitive Camp, Anza Borrego Desert State Park, San Diego County.
Approx. 5.5 miles south of Scissors Crossing (the spot where County Road S-2 crosses SR 78) on County Road S-2, look for the campground and vault toilet building on the left, just before mile post 23. The campground, and even most of the trails we'll be on, are clearly marked on the Auto Club San Diego Region paper map, on all Anza Borrego Desert State Park paper maps, and on pretty much all other paper maps of the area.

This route should be stock and even 2WD friendly the entire way, but I have not been out there since Fall 2011 to confirm.

We'll start out driving the long way around through Blair Valley to the trailhead for Yaquitepec, the site of Marshal South's family home on the top of Ghost Mountain. The hiking trail is a steep 1-mile each way, with a significant elevation gain on the way up. Wear sturdy shoes. At the top are the remains of the adobe home and South's elaborate water system. The views from the home site on the summit of Ghost Mountain are spectacular.

You can read about Marshal South here: http://marshalsouth.com/index.asp

After lunch somewhere in the valley (we know a good spot that we've used in the past) we'll drive to the trail head for the Pictograph Hiking Trail, an easy 1-mile each way trail that leads to a large boulder covered with Indian pictographs. This area sits at a much higher elevation than other parts of Anza Borrego so the vegetation is completely different, and much more abundant. From the rock it's another 1/2 mile or so out to an amazing overlook view of the Carrizo Badlands. On the way back out to the highway, if time permits, we can also do the easy half mile or so hike to the Morteros, the site of an old Indian village.

Optional Camping Saturday Night: I don't plan to camp, but there are several options for camping on Saturday (or Friday) if anyone is interested. There is a State Park Primitive Camp at Blair Valley, with vault toilets. You can also camp in other parts of the valley, there are marked and unmarked spots in both Blair Valley and Little Blair Valley. Across S-2 and south a bit is the entrance to Chariot and Rodriquez Canyons, there are a few nice camp spots in there as well.  Let me know if you want some specific suggestions or ideas. Keep in mind that ground fires are not allowed in the State Park, you will need a metal fire container.

Reference:

Wells Guide to So Cal Backroads & 4WD Trails, number 53, page 191.

Comm:

FRS Channel 3, sub-code 24
CB Channel 24 (let me know in advance, as I may not turn on the CB otherwise).

Let me know if you're interested. Also, anyone coming from the San Diego area is welcome to caravan out with me. Check with me for details of where to meet. I'll be leaving the area of the intersection of Scripps Poway Parkway and Pomerado Road at 8:00AM.

Please post any comments, suggestions or questions.

Also - Please be sure to let me know you're coming so we don't wind up waiting too long at the meet spot.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:14:13 PM by FrankB »

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
Re: Anza Borrego - Saturday 3 March - 2WD friendly - Anyone interested?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 11:06:55 AM »
AWWW MAN!!!!!

I am already hiking that weekend in Sycamore Canyon up by Point Mugu.....

<shakes fist at sky>

DANNNNNNGGGGGIIIIITTTTTTTT!!!!!!!

Next time =/

occupantX

• 4wd Pts: 65535
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 09:24:21 PM »
Thanks Frank, I was planning on playing spectator at Tierra Del Sol ( http://www.tds4x4.com/2011/04/desert-safari-2011-is-here/ ) that Saturday, but I'll be up for camping that evening and doing something on Sunday...
The non-club non-member formerly known as sdcaKLR, 'cause you know..bananas

magnus718

• 4wd Pts: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 05:18:44 PM »
I am very interested!! ;D

Alex

• 4wd Pts: 25
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 09:23:59 PM »
Count me in! :)

MaxPower

• 4wd Pts: 18
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 09:33:27 PM »
I can't make it but wanted to put it out there that I would be interested in something like this in the future. 
This isn't Santa's Workshop.  This place smells like mushrooms and everyone looks like they want to hurt me.

DannyX

• 4wd Pts: 23
  • "LIKE" Me on Facebook.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 10:31:32 PM »
I have to double check my schedule but you. An put me down as a probably!!
"LIKE" Me on Facebook.

Soylent Yellow

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 5254
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 09:12:05 PM »
Marshal South?  So this run is clothing optional?
I'd rather be happy than right any day.

FrankB

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 10:26:15 PM »
Marshal South?  So this run is clothing optional?

Correct.

magnus718

IRON X

• 4wd Pts: 4
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 05:06:41 PM »
How many rigs so far frank? Put me down as a maybe, have to check my schedule but hopefully everything works out. Saw some of the pics from previous Anza Borrego trips, looks pretty fun.
33x12.5 Duratracs, Crager Soft 8's, DIY 2" BL, AC Upper Control Arms, Sway-A-Away TBars, Trail Gear Sliders, Sony Xplode GT450U, Volant CAI, Cherry Bomb Extreme Muffler w/ Downpipe, KC Daylights on Custom Fender/Cowel Mounts, TC IAB, Uniden PRO510XL CB, 4ft Firestik, Smittybilt Front Recovery Hooks

FrankB

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 11:31:19 PM »
How many rigs so far frank? Put me down as a maybe, have to check my schedule but hopefully everything works out. Saw some of the pics from previous Anza Borrego trips, looks pretty fun.

It looks like 1 for sure and 3 "maybe", plus me. But then, one of the "maybe" seemed a bit too excited about the idea of clothing optional (which, by the way, would only be for the actual visit to the remains of Marshal South's home).

I'll put up details soon.

magnus718

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 11:59:48 PM »
you can mark me down as a yes!

KickinTires

• 4wd Pts: 9
Re: Anza Borrego - Saturday 3 March 2012 - 2WD Friendly
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 07:38:26 PM »
Frank, you can mark me down as a Yes also.  I'm still thinking about even camping out and coming home on Sunday.  I think that will be more relaxing than trying to beat feet out there on Friday just to camp in the dark... 
Mark

Club Frontier Member "KickinTires"

XterracerX

• 4wd Pts: 17
Re: Anza Borrego - Saturday 3 March 2012 - 2WD Friendly
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 09:16:26 PM »
There's a good chance I can make this run. I will confirm with you Frank.
Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst!