Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Airing Down?  (Read 10117 times)

Phall92139

• 4wd Pts: 2
  • I'm watching you!
Airing Down?
« on: September 28, 2010, 12:24:29 PM »
I have perused thourgh the posts to find that ignoring the red light is the answer to airing down with the TPMS system (thankfully there is no chime or buzzer).  However, what kind of air pressure do you guys run with the stock tires?  Has anyone broke a bead from running too low?
-Phil

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose."
--Dr. Seuss

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
Re: Airing Down?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 12:45:35 PM »
I air down to 20 psi in my stock BFG Rugged Trails. Never had a problem.
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 01:02:13 PM »
Airing down really depends on where you're driving.  Even if you were to pop a bead, just jack it up, crank a ratchet strap on there and air it back up.  If you want to see if the tire spins on a rim during a trip, take a sharpie or crayon and run a mark over the tire and the rim. 

If I'm running open country loaded down, like the washboards of Death Valley, I'll run 18-25.  Crawling something like John Bull or the like, 12.  Snow, leave them aired up and I want to dig down for traction.  My stauns are all out of whack, so I've usually got four different tire pressures all over the place anyway.  Just been too lazy to set them.

I wouldn't put too much thought into it.  Just air down and air back up when you're done.
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

FrankB

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 01:11:58 PM »
Be thankful you don't have a 2005.  I get a full 30-second very loud tone for each tire that goes below 28psi, in addition to the dashboard light.  When those go off you get a really good understanding of just how long 30 seconds really is.

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 03:48:42 PM »
I ran stock tires for a many trips at 20 psi. I run my BFG's at 18 psi - they have a nice thick sidewalls.
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

boomer818

• Dirty White Knight
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 05:12:42 PM »
I'm on my 3rd xterra and i never aired down in any condition of off raoding in all seasons. my X's always got me through it all.
If you dont have mud you have nothing.

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 07:59:03 PM »
I'm on my 3rd xterra and i never aired down in any condition of off raoding in all seasons. my X's always got me through it all.

How are your kidneys?  :-\

Try a rough trail, then air down and do it again, and you'll never put up with the beating again. Taking the air out really makes the ride a whole lot better - and it will allow you to take trails that would otherwise be impassable. In loose sand you'll find bunches of more traction and as an added benefit you'll tread on the trails much more lightly.
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

boomer818

• Dirty White Knight
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 09:15:18 PM »
Good point, i just got a small compressor for the car to go along on my hunting and camping trips. I will try it, just seemed to be to much headache.
If you dont have mud you have nothing.

Phall92139

• I'm watching you!
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 11:25:46 AM »
Good point, i just got a small compressor for the car to go along on my hunting and camping trips. I will try it, just seemed to be to much headache.

I agree with Paul on this.  Finding the "sweet spot" to air down for a given situation is like day and night when driving off road.  My question really had to do with the fact I've never driven a rig with passenger car tires seriously off road before.  I'm not sure what kind of sidewall damage to expect and wanted to get a feel for how others are wheeling their rigs. 

Try airing down in your garage first.  Make a chalk mark in  front and behind where the tire tread meets the floor at various pressures and you will see just how much larger the contact patch actually gets.  Here are some pics of a typical tire being aired down from 30 psi to 15 psi and finally 7 psi.  Remember that less air also means the tread is much more malleable and able to conform to uneven surfaces like on a rocky ledge.

With an Xterra loaded with people, tools, gear, water, food, etc., for an offroad outing we probably tip the scales somewhere in the 6,000-6,5000 pound mark.  On those washboards Paul was talking about you will be blown away how your rig handles running 20-24 psi in your tires.  For speeds under 20 miles an hour for our stock  265 or even 285 tires I would not recommend airing down to less than 14-16 psi.  I've gone down to 10 or 12 with 31's on my Rubicon but it is a much lighter vehicle.  Now that I run 35's on beadlocks  I've occasionally taken them down to 4psi with no problems.

Of course the down side to airing down is airing up.  I have an old QuickAir II that will handle the job on the Xterra in about 4-6 minutes per tire.  Make sure whatever electric compressor you end up getting has a duty cycle that will allow it to handle you tasks without having to wait for the unit to cool down.  Something like the Vivair 450C at $469.99, is a continuous duty compressor and will air a 33" tire from 15-30 psi in about 3-1/2 minutes while only drawing 19 amps off your battery.  In contrast, the Harbor Freight Central Pneumatic 66399 compressor for $74.99 ($59.99 on sale) claims to perform about the same but list no duty cycle in it's manual and draws a whopping 30 amps of power.  Finally there's something like the Harbor Freight 4077 12 volt, 250 PSI Compact Compressor  for $11 or less that plugs into you cigar lighter outlet and will probably have a melt down after a couple of uses.  Do not consider any compressor that is not hardwired or clamped directly to the battery.
-Phil

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose."
--Dr. Seuss

onewaysoldier

• 4wd Pts: 3
    • 2001 XE - SAS'd
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 03:21:45 PM »
For what it's worth.  I air down to between 8-15 psi running 35's whenever I go play in the rocks or on any moderate trails.  I've seen so many people (myself included) slip, slide, and smash their rocker panels or fenders on their vehicles because they think they don't need to air down.  Traction works.  I've never slipped or popped a bead.  But, I've got straps and a on-board air compressor if I do.  And a little bit of starter fluid w/ the wheel on the ground and a long range lighter does the trick too as well.  But, be sure to pull the valve stem out before hand out otherwise things get scary. 
I'm trying to figure out something witty.

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 04:00:29 PM »
I air down to 14psi. regardless of conditions and it has worked very well for me on my Goodyear Wranglers.  Not only does it give you a better contact patch like Phall92139 stated but it softens the ride and the lessens the amount of "shock" that the shock/struts absorb, lets them live longer.  You should look in buying a set of tire deflators.  Smittybilt has some nice ones for $40.  PepBoys has a great trail compressor also, the Tsunami MF-1050 with a nice storage pouch which carries the coiled hose and accs.  (Some guys here hate the pouch, I like it.)  Goes for about $60 and is the same identical thing as the Smittybilt trail compressor which goes for $85.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 02:16:30 PM by superslidestyle »
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD