Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Hopeful club member (but some problems out of the gate)  (Read 4942 times)

bathsalts

• 4wd Pts: 0
    • 2000 Xterra
Hopeful club member (but some problems out of the gate)
« on: May 26, 2020, 03:23:14 PM »
I bought a 2000 Xterra, and on the way home it overheated. Scanner said needs new thermostat, but I brought it to a mechanic to check it all out. He says the "wiring" is messed up on the car and when he started looking under the engine, and messing with the wires it would raise rpms. The mechanic basically said it is so messed up he wouldn't work on it.

Any ideas of what to do here - good mechanic in the valley?

I will take some photos, but i've been told -

New engine put in 60k miles ago and new transmission

There is definitely a new distributor cap and spark plug wires put in very recently.

Update - Looks to be the Mass Airflow Sensor - when you wiggle that, the RPMs jump. I heard this can be related to transmission issues as well. I am getting another look at it, but hopefully this will be the fix.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 06:04:11 PM by bathsalts »

FrankB

Re: Hopeful club member (but some problems out of the gate)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 09:45:22 PM »
Welcome to SCCX.  I'm surprised no one has responded yet; I know that there are at least some still around here who know the first generation Xterra (but I'm not one of them, so I can't be of any help at all). I hope you get it sorted out.

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
Re: Hopeful club member (but some problems out of the gate)
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 08:38:35 PM »
Currently, does the truck throw a check engine light? if so, what codes is it throwing.