Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: AAT Changes  (Read 41769 times)

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Re: AAT Changes
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2018, 03:29:15 PM »

Eric does this new role mean you have sat and sun off :)

Yes it does, miracles do happen...
Isaiah 6:8

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 09:13:42 PM »
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 08:53:12 AM »

Now the important part.
There has been a lack of activity from us. Per Greg, since we do represent one of the longest trails in the SBNF service road, but also have one of the most active areas for outdoor shooting ranges. Its very important to ensure cleanliness & constant monitoring at our trail due to the shooting range. These spots can get chaotic in some point as many shooters may go under the influence. Due to that, its becoming a high traffic area. It was brought as well to my attention that we were marked to drop the trail due to no activity. I did ensure to him that I will get the community back up and running. He brought up Terry ( i have no idea who that is), im assuming a former or inactive SCCX member. I will be in the planning for a 2NO2 survey late July so keep an eye out for that.

This was from the AAT meeting in June, of 2018.  I'm leaving for Arizona in less than two weeks, and would like to either wrap up the AAT program, or find someone who is going to make an effort here.

You all know my opinion on this:  the time has come to pass the trail to a group that can further maintain the busy off road/shooting areas along 2N02.  No shame in admitting that we are all too busy, life happens.

But...there is shame in trying to hobble along, attending sporadic meetings, even fewer people at clean ups, etc.  There haven't been posts from anyone here in "log your AAT hours" thread in TWO YEARS.

Also, Greg Hoffman is no longer involved with the AAT Program, per some secret suspension.  There is a new list of Forest Service contacts.

So I'll ask again, before I just contact the AAT folks and make the hard decision so this topic can be laid to rest:

Is there anyone here who wants to fully/seriously take this project on and move forward???

If not, I'll be reaching out to the AAT folks tomorrow.

Thanks  :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:54:51 AM by Ghost65 »
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 10:20:30 AM »
Thanks John.  I agree with you 100%.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

Jayrat

• FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 10:40:30 AM »

There haven't been posts from anyone here in "log your AAT hours" thread in TWO YEARS.

I went up a few months ago, BeeDee was supposed to log my hours , then he dropped out and moved
I have made several attempts to get people up there , but nope
last time I was up there , I went with non SCCXers and we cleaned a lot

https://www.sccxterra.com/smf/index.php?topic=4746.0
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2018, 11:23:05 AM »
I haven't been involved nearly as long as most others on this forum, but I'd have to go with John on this.  Most of the "OG" members of the forum have become far more involved with life, making it very difficult to get a coordinated effort on the trail.  Some of the younger guys, Edwin, for example, have tried to step in and help, but he has also started to move on, with the possiblity of him not staying in Cali, either. 

The statement I'm going to say next might rub people the wrong way, but anyway...I feel like the younger/newer crowd doesn't really want to put the effort into the trail because they'd rather spend the time wheeling or they just think they're contributing to our cause, without really having any buy-in because they haven't been involved with SCCX for very long.  This is the feeling I got from our huge combined run with SCXF, some of the guys thought we were doing the run just to get them to help cleanup on our trail.  At no time was this mentioned by us, we just needed the hours everyone was on the trail, and we actually got very few people to give us hours, out of over 30 trucks. 

BLUF:  It's very hard for all of us to balance things now and it's really hard to get buy-in from the newer people on the forum.   
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 11:29:21 AM by RikRong »
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2018, 01:25:06 PM »
One way I see to make this work is to have “club/noncoub” quarterly camping trip set up on defined weekends once every quarter. Make it a Family event just to be outdoor. Think quarterly CANVAZ and part of the weekend will be for giving back (aka trail clean up)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2018, 02:07:56 PM »
One way I see to make this work is to have “club/noncoub” quarterly camping trip set up on defined weekends once every quarter. Make it a Family event just to be outdoor. Think quarterly CANVAZ and part of the weekend will be for giving back (aka trail clean up)

I appreciate the thought Spencer...but honestly, and reflecting everyone else's thoughts above...it's time to let 2N02 go.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2018, 02:18:57 PM »
Email sent to the AAT folks.
KD6DCI

G.B.H.

• 4wd Pts: -21
    • 08 xterra se
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2018, 02:52:42 PM »
As a newer member but certainly not younger I figure I will chime in. This is not my first club I have joined in my life so I have seen this before. Not my first club I have joined that has been around for awhile either. Usually they start like wildfire. Everyone is involved and activities happen all the time. Over time the number of members dwindle a little and the activities slow down a bit until it becomes a core group of friends doing the events they like the best.
I've been a member of SCCX for probably a year now. I've gone on one ride/outing, though I am off every other weekend and available for more than half of those. I've only seen one posting for a trail cleanup (I volunteered but it didn't happen) I knew the club had a trail but really didn't know where or what it was until that posting.
I guess what I am saying is the club is obviously at a bit of a lull. That happens. Nothing to feel bad about it is natural. People have lives and move away etc. and it takes a particular strong personality for a newbie to step in and not step on the toes of the senior members to organize things like trail cleanups.
I think it would be wise to give up the trail.
Give it some time. Hopefully, in the near future, SCCX will be able to adopt a new trail and maintain it well.
G.B.H.

LBX

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2018, 04:03:09 PM »
I went up a few months ago, BeeDee was supposed to log my hours , then he dropped out and moved
I have made several attempts to get people up there , but nope
last time I was up there , I went with non SCCXers and we cleaned a lot

https://www.sccxterra.com/smf/index.php?topic=4746.0

I was suppose to log your hours? And then I moved? I don't recall claiming either of those things.

Jayrat

• FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2018, 08:28:49 PM »
I was suppose to log your hours? And then I moved? I don't recall claiming either of those things.
Yes you are right, I am mistaken you are not the person

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2018, 09:01:33 AM »
As a newer member but certainly not younger I figure I will chime in. This is not my first club I have joined in my life so I have seen this before. Not my first club I have joined that has been around for awhile either. Usually they start like wildfire. Everyone is involved and activities happen all the time. Over time the number of members dwindle a little and the activities slow down a bit until it becomes a core group of friends doing the events they like the best.
I've been a member of SCCX for probably a year now. I've gone on one ride/outing, though I am off every other weekend and available for more than half of those. I've only seen one posting for a trail cleanup (I volunteered but it didn't happen) I knew the club had a trail but really didn't know where or what it was until that posting.
I guess what I am saying is the club is obviously at a bit of a lull. That happens. Nothing to feel bad about it is natural. People have lives and move away etc. and it takes a particular strong personality for a newbie to step in and not step on the toes of the senior members to organize things like trail cleanups.
I think it would be wise to give up the trail.
Give it some time. Hopefully, in the near future, SCCX will be able to adopt a new trail and maintain it well.

Well said.
KD6DCI

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2018, 11:41:27 AM »
Maybe this is also the right time for the (harsh?) reminder that we are not really a club at all. We are simply a group of people who socialize via an online forum, and wheel/camp together sometimes. I know we toss around the "club/not a club" thing like a joke, but it's true that we are not an organized club with dues, rules/bylaws, or a membership committee that can hold people responsible for minimum requirements. Essentially, we are trying to manage an adopt a trail program as a club when we aren't a club at all. The responsibility falls entirely on whoever steps up to be the volunteer coordinator without any requirement for anyone else to help. It's like a single person stepping up to adopt the trail, and then hoping they can get their friends to help when the time comes.

Thanks John for being the voice of reason here. I know everyone wants to hold on to the program because it's a really cool thing, but it's not fair for us to claim that we maintain that trail when there are dozens of other groups chomping at the bit to become part of this adopt-a-trail program and could do a much better job than us.

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2018, 02:07:15 PM »
Agree with everything.  Maybe we could coordinate with whomever takes over the trail again attend cleanups with them, for those who want to help maintain it.  Admittedly, I haven't been proactive on cleanups.