Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: New Poll Question on www.thenewx.org  (Read 3575 times)

Phall92139

• 4wd Pts: 2
  • I'm watching you!
New Poll Question on www.thenewx.org
« on: August 22, 2010, 12:48:57 AM »
I was trying to get a feel for how far each of us has to drive to actually do our off road wheeling.  I've posted a Poll question on thenewx.org that I'd like to ask you to participate in.  Thanks for helping me to satisfy my curiosity.  I'm just starting to get a little bummed at far we have to go in San Diego anymore.  Around here it seems like most of the "old" places now have gates and padlocks on them.  If you know of any closer areas I'd love to hear about them.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31920
-Phil

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose."
--Dr. Seuss

XterracerX

• 4wd Pts: 17
Re: New Poll Question on www.thenewx.org
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 05:56:24 PM »
There's Otay Mountain Truck Trail that's pretty easy and very scenic. Although you always have to be on guard as it is close to a prison and litters of trash from illegal immigrants scatter in some areas. Border Patrol agents are always nearby.

A while back, Frank and I went driving around in Pine Valley and the views from Pine Creek Road (and the side trails on easy dirt roads) were very scenic.

Would love to explore the Laguna Mountains/Cleveland National Forest more.
Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst!

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 10:32:35 AM »
Phil,

I voted and replied on TheNewX.

I mentioned there that I recently discovered some great trails in and around Big Bear, coincidentally on a trip with the Big Bear 4x4's Club (all Jeeps, took a dose of good natured "grocery getter" ribbing).

I was pleasantly surprised at the amount, variety, and quality of trails a little over two hours away (which would fall into the 100+ category of the poll) that were mapped and ready for exploration.

One area I would love to explore more is the Mojave area, from Lone Pine east into Death Valley, which is my fall/winter goal this year.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Phall92139

• 4wd Pts: 2
  • I'm watching you!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 10:26:39 AM »
Thanks guys for the feedback.  I guess I don't feel quite so bad about how far I drive to find open off roading areas.  It's just that there seems to be more and more fences, locked gates and "No Trespassing" areas everytime I venture out. 

XterracerX, last time ( a year or so ago) I tried to run Otay Truck Trail beginning in Dulzura, I hit a locked gate just a couple of miles in.  Do you know if the entire route is passable now?  Granted, it's just a nice dirt drive but hey, it beats asphalt!
-Phil

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose."
--Dr. Seuss