Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Coilover springs  (Read 3591 times)

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
Coilover springs
« on: January 26, 2018, 01:12:05 PM »
I need to swap out the springs on my ICON 2.5's

Do I get new springs from Eibach?  Icon?  Joe the spring guy?  Halp!

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re: Coilover springs
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 07:52:07 PM »
Icon is terrible about this stuff, they don't list the spring rate and make their own springs so unless there are some numbers on the spring you will need to either call them for the specs or maybe someone has already done the legwork for you and posted it on TNX.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 08:35:02 PM »
I need to swap out the springs on my ICON 2.5's

Do I get new springs from Eibach?  Icon?  Joe the spring guy?  Halp!

I can tell you that my icon's were 450lb spring rate which were too weak for my front bumper. Titan springs will fit right over them but significantly stiffen the front end up as they are 650lbs.
Isaiah 6:8

xxSVxx

• 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 10:23:25 AM »
Icon is terrible about this stuff, they don't list the spring rate and make their own springs so unless there are some numbers on the spring you will need to either call them for the specs or maybe someone has already done the legwork for you and posted it on TNX.

Posted on TNX, didn't get anything of value as of posting this.

So, I called ICON

The guy was super friendly, but assumed I speak 'shop', and just talked right over my head a few minutes into the conversation.

From what I gathered from the convo, I have to pull them off to get the kind of spring info; from there, I can call 4wheelwarehouse or something of the like and buy new springs from them....?  That sound right?

A fellow member has offered his springs from some shocks he's moving on from, but I'm not sure if those will fit, and I'm already thinking of maybe buying brand new coils with the right spring rate and unloading due to the headache this seems to be

In the meantime, every time I go over a bump or turn sharply, my wheels are rubbing again....yay.

Thx

-Christiaan

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 11:44:12 AM »
Aren’t the iCon 2.5 a coilover Shock? Can’t you just put more preload on the spring to prevent rubbing?

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 04:17:40 AM »
to a point preload helps but if the icons are 450lb he needs a much higher spring rate to properly carry the weight of the bumper and winch. 

I think the icon guy was basically telling you to just measure the spring dimensions and buy a spring of the same dimensions with higher spring rate.  I know the eibach springs radflos uses are 3" diameter x 14" length.  I have s set of 600lb springs I pulled off my 2.5 radflos when I put 700lb on.  your welcome to them if they will work for you.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

xxSVxx

• 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 09:50:15 AM »
I have s set of 600lb springs I pulled off my 2.5 radflos when I put 700lb on.  your welcome to them if they will work for you.

Thanks Jordan; let me figure out what I wanna do with the 'new coilovers v new springs' debate and I'll let you know