Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: What have you done for your Rig lately.  (Read 498251 times)

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
Re: What have you done for your Rig lately.
« Reply #1605 on: May 11, 2018, 08:43:34 AM »
Jay: Jeff is right on the free code reading.
  Plus you don't have to remove the fender, I've clean/checked mine three times.  I would be happy to help for PBR.

Thanks for the offer Randy , but I'll still get together For some PBR's
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

pyrofox79

• 4wd Pts: 4
« Reply #1606 on: May 11, 2018, 04:14:33 PM »
http://i67.tinypic.com/2r57thf.jpg
What have you done for your Rig lately.

Started on making a gas can/ water can holder. Not pretty but should work.
Probably gonna finish tomorrow when I install the new HIDs I ordered.

Edit: It was bugging me that the legs were angled out. So I re brazed them the other way.
Little more ugly due to the left over solder but I think more secure

http://i65.tinypic.com/21zlf6.jpg
What have you done for your Rig lately.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 08:02:34 PM by pyrofox79 »

TurboChris

• 4wd Pts: 5
    • 2005 Xterra
« Reply #1607 on: May 12, 2018, 07:49:13 AM »

Edit: It was bugging me that the legs were angled out. So I re brazed them the other way.
Little more ugly due to the left over solder but I think more secure

Good enough for the girls I go with......I like it.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #1608 on: May 12, 2018, 10:42:29 PM »
Feel a big difference in the drive?  I need to pull the trigger on gears.
It's a huge difference in driveability, especially while I'm still on 33's.

I've had my RTT and roof rack off for a few weeks so I could get the truck detailed and get some wax on the roof.  The stock gears were much better without the drag on the roof but once it all goes back on, I think the gears will really shine.  I always had to downshift on small grades on the freeway, that wont be an issue now.  I think 35's are in my future to bring the rpm down a little bit and it will be perfect.  I did a little 2lo (4lo with no front driveshaft)  crawling down the street and it idles so slow and has tons of torque, I idled over a curb and up my driveway  so I'm super happy.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

pyrofox79

« Reply #1609 on: May 13, 2018, 03:00:07 PM »
Finished putting HID lights in....only took me like 4 hours. Freaking ankle..

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #1610 on: May 13, 2018, 03:48:56 PM »
Curious what set up you went with. Did you do a retrofit kit with projectors?

pyrofox79

« Reply #1611 on: May 13, 2018, 03:54:51 PM »
I went with The Retrofit Source kit. No projectors as I dont care for the way they look. If I were to do it again I'd go with the canbus kit as opposed to the motocontrol relay just for ease of installation.

zaphos

• 2001 Xterra SE 4x4
« Reply #1612 on: May 13, 2018, 04:53:18 PM »
Radio overdrive:

So you know when you get an idea you think will be sooo cool and then hours later after 3 trips to the parts store, sore muscles you didn’t know you you had from contorting your body into positions it wasn’t designed to go in, and what was i thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Destination unknown but I'm on my way.

KI6EBQ

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #1613 on: May 13, 2018, 07:54:36 PM »
I went with The Retrofit Source kit. No projectors as I dont care for the way they look. If I were to do it again I'd go with the canbus kit as opposed to the motocontrol relay just for ease of installation.

We don't have a canbus headlight system so you either run relays or the motocontrol.  Also the projectors are not for looks, it's to properly control the light output so you don't blind every other driver on the road around you.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

pyrofox79

« Reply #1614 on: May 13, 2018, 09:25:05 PM »
We don't have a canbus headlight system so you either run relays or the motocontrol.  Also the projectors are not for looks, it's to properly control the light output so you don't blind every other driver on the road around you.

Dont care about other people on the road.  Maybe if they didnt make ugly ones I'd get a set.
Admittedly I didnt think of it until later. I probably will in the future.

And the canbus just because of it being less complicated (to me anyway). Most of the wiring could be simplified and condensed but it is what it is.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 09:26:52 PM by pyrofox79 »

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #1615 on: May 13, 2018, 09:41:45 PM »
Dont care about other people on the road.  Maybe if they didnt make ugly ones I'd get a set.
Admittedly I didnt think of it until later. I probably will in the future.

Your like one of those guys that drive around with Hi-Beams
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #1616 on: May 13, 2018, 10:00:44 PM »
Or with light bars on.

pyrofox79

« Reply #1617 on: May 13, 2018, 10:06:07 PM »

Lol. It's actually more that I never drive my truck because I have a work truck that I drive everyday. So to me its not something I think of until others mention it.
I'll probably end up calling TRS tomorrow and see if they'll send me just the retrofit lenses as I have everything else.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #1618 on: May 14, 2018, 12:58:31 PM »
Radio overdrive:

So you know when you get an idea you think will be sooo cool and then hours later after 3 trips to the parts store, sore muscles you didn’t know you you had from contorting your body into positions it wasn’t designed to go in, and what was i thinking?

Looks like a lot of work, but having good comms is so important. Nice job. I know the CB is a single component (looks like a Uniden 880 or 980?), but I'm curious why you didn't utilize the remote head capability on the FT-7900? I know there's not exactly a shortage of space overhead, but it looks like it's almost mounted so far back that it would be difficult to see the face plate while operating the vehicle.

zaphos

• 2001 Xterra SE 4x4
« Reply #1619 on: May 15, 2018, 05:05:44 PM »
Thanks, I kicked the idea around of taking the Yaesu face plate off and mounting somewhere else and still might do it but really didn't come up with a good location where I can see/reach it without moving other stuff around.

I had to shim the Bearcat 980 SSB with rubber washers so it would hang lower allowing the back or the Yaesu FT-7900R to tuck in just above it while still allowing the Yaesu fan an open area to vent. The plate also allows me to hang the handhelds (FRS/ GMRS/ Yaesu FT60R) and really just gets all the crap out of my way while being easy to read/ reach.

You are correct, when I look up, it is almost blurry due to my farsightedness (I'm getting old) as it is almost directly above me but I can see/ operate it O.K. and the mic couldn't be in a more perfect place without having to un-cradle it to use it. Another inch back and I would look like Stevie Wonder trying to find the controls.

Overall, it turned out a lot better than expected. This thing was the worst case of scope creep short of the truck itself. I was SUPPOSED to just build it just enough to drive the thing around the mountains SLIGHTLY modified. The radio project was just SUPPOSED to be a couple of handhelds. I have a freakin' Lokka and crooked front differential bushings sitting on my dresser! Why does this keep happening?

If you ever hear me start a sentence with "You know what would be really cool": STOP ME!

This post was just a sack dance/ venting post after all the tedious little steps to get it all together (I STILL have a couple of things I need to wrap up) but I'll post a more detailed write up in my display case thread.

Thanks to all for the ideas/ help to feed my sickness!

./Mark 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 05:08:20 PM by zaphos »
Destination unknown but I'm on my way.

KI6EBQ