Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Xterra Road Trip: San Diego - Las Vegas . . . All Pavement, But Still Scenic  (Read 12395 times)

FrankB

I recently had to attend a conference in Las Vegas, and decided it would be more fun to drive than fly from San Diego. The desert is pretty nice this time of year, and I was able to take a whole day getting out there, and 2 full days coming home.

On the way out I took the Interstate for a part of the way, then detoured through the Mojave National Preserve.  I was traveling alone, and did need to arrive in time for dinner, so I stuck to pavement through the Preserve, but it was still quite scenic.

For those that know the area, or care to look at a map, I entered the Preserve from the south on Kelbaker Road off of I-40, took that up to Kelso, then took Kelso-Cima Road to Cima, then Cima Road back to I-15. 

Looking north on Kelbaker Road not long after entering the Preserve.

The Park Service has done a very nice job of restoring the old Union Pacific station in Kelso. For those of you who have traveled US 93 through Nevada you may remember seeing the twin of this station in Caliente (it has not been restored).

Kelso-Cima Road follows the rail line. It is still quite active with freight trains.

At Cima I turned away from the rail line and headed over the hills through the world's largest Joshua Tree forest.

The conference ran from Sunday evening through Wednesday evening. No shots of the Xterra during that time, it spent the next 3 days in the valet lot at the Mandalay Bay.

As always, Vegas was crazy. The new City Center complex has recently opened. They spent $8.5 billion building the place. It is impressive. Only some of the lean of the building on the right is from my lens. That is one of 2 residential towers that each are built in such a way as to appear to be leaning 5 degrees off vertical, in opposing directions.

Since I was staying at the Mandalay Bay I had to go check out the Shark Reef aquarium exhibit. My fisheye lens seemed only too appropriate.

FrankB

I left town on Thursday morning, and planned to take at least 2 days to get home, with lots of stops for photos along the way. The quick way would have been 5 hours on I-15, my goal was to get all the way home without once getting on an Interstate highway.  I made my way to US 95 and took that south to Old Route 66, then headed west to Amboy, where I turned south again, this time towards 29 Palms, where I spent Thursday night.

Old Route 66 just west of US 95. Not much out there these day except for the occasional freight train.

Which way next?  Doesn't really matter, I've got plenty of fuel, a comfortable place to sleep and 3 days worth of supplies if needed. The X is great for road trips.

I think that a lot of the photogenic scenic stuff of old Route 66 has now deteriorated to the point that it just looks ugly, or is often behind fences, or in some cases has even been cleaned up. I guess that happens. There are still some interesting photo ops along the way though.

I drove up into Joshua Tree National Park on Thursday evening to catch the sunset.

On Friday morning I met up with Mitch for a hike at the Big Morongo Canyon Preserve, then headed towards Indio for lunch, then over the mountains to San Diego and home.

The Preserve, with the snow covered San Bernardino Mountains in the distance.

Part way up the Palms to Pines Highway after leaving Palm Desert on the way to San Diego.

I'll end with a shot of the Xterra in its most common habitat. Actually, I averaged 16.7 mpg for the trip, not bad really.

For more pics and narrative you can check out my blog here:

http://frankbaiamonte.blogspot.com

For more shots of the new City Center complex in Las Vegas, go here:

http://frankbaiamonte.smugmug.com/Travel/Las-Vegas-City-Center-Feb-2010/

For more shots from the desert portion of the trip, go here:

http://frankbaiamonte.smugmug.com/Travel/Desert-Road-Trip-Feb-2010/

Oz

• 4wd Pts: 14
  • Cybernetic organism; living tissue over metal
Awesome picts Frank - Ive been to that Kelso Train depot. You can get a good sandwich at the counter in there.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Nice pictures Frank...having driven through there it is a pretty special place.  Kind of a throwback in time, especially some areas of Route 66.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

XterracerX

• 4wd Pts: 17
Great pics and narrative... thanks for sharing Frank!
Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst!

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
As always Frank, excellent work.
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

AV Xterra

• 4wd Pts: 7
Nice work Frank.
I eat other peoples food.  It's a sickness.