Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Helping with the website  (Read 34442 times)

Aperion

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: 12
Helping with the website
« on: October 10, 2008, 12:32:05 PM »
First the obvious: the front page needs work. The good news: anyone here can edit the front page, they just need proper permission. The front page uses mediawiki software, which is what wikipedia and dirtopia. So editing the front page is almost the same as editing those two sites. If you have experience in either one you could jump right in, otherwise I am willing to help people understand the wiki syntax and how to edit the site.

My overall goal with the site is to primarily have members editing content on the wiki, and I would adjust the look and layout of the wiki and the forum. I think the more people we have taking care of the site the easier it will be to maintain, this is very much a case of many hands make lite work, we're all busy so the more that can help the less work there will be to do.

I recognize almost all of the names registered but just to be sure I'll be passing the names by the other people I know who have been more actively involved in the last two years.

So, who's interested?

A couple of things, a good place to get started with the wiki syntax is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:How_to_edit_a_page

And If you want to try it first hand, wikipedia has a sandbox anyone can use at will.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 01:10:44 PM by Aperion »

XterracerX

• 4wd Pts: 17
Re: Helping with the website
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 01:39:08 PM »
I would like to help. I will play in the sandbox...
Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst!

xtoolbox

• 4wd Pts: 10
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 03:55:18 PM »
FYI put in the redirect  http://www.sccxterra.com/   -> http://www.scxc.org/  for now but you could FTP stuff there (godady.com) if you want to use it,  I'll send you the ftp access.

Brian

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 04:13:51 PM »
I'd like to contribute.
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

onewaysoldier

• 4wd Pts: 3
    • 2001 XE - SAS'd
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 04:26:43 PM »
Same here.  I'd be willing to help.
I'm trying to figure out something witty.

Soylent Yellow

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 5254
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 05:28:07 PM »
How you we post pics on the main page?
I'd rather be happy than right any day.

Aperion

• Old-Schooler
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 08:44:48 AM »
How you we post pics on the main page?
see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:How_to_edit_a_page#Images

When you first do that, the image shows up as red text, then you can click on the red text and upload the image, after which it will appear.

Ok, I've XtrerracerX, Paul and onewaysoldier permission to edit the wiki/homepage

If you want to play on our wiki software I recommend using this page: http://www.scxc.org/wiki/index.php?title=Sandbox
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 09:12:02 AM by Aperion »

Aperion

• Old-Schooler
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 09:16:02 AM »
I am game but I have only HTML and this is different . I will play around and see if something falls into place then let you guys know
It's better than nothing :)

Aperion

• Old-Schooler
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 09:50:53 AM »
I just came across something that will help IMMENSELY!! A more word processing like interface, where you see the changes you make, as you make them.

rather than editing the wiki syntax directly like this:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

You see what changes you're making:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

hopefully this will let more people edit the wiki and feel comfortable with it and let us spend more time doing other things.

Aperion

• Old-Schooler
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 11:59:09 AM »
ah, share the wealth and post up the application. Also I think we need some feedback to see what people want, what features, pictures. etc...
What application? if you're referring to the wiki permissions I went ahead and gave you permissions to edit the wiki. You will need to log into the wiki separately, but it is the same user name and password.

Aperion

• Old-Schooler
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 12:48:51 PM »
no I thought you found an application to edit the wiki . When I dug arounf I found the sandbox at Wikipedia . But when I played around with it I didnt see the changes so i dont know if what I was doing worked good or not. Is there an sandbox to the site?
OOHH :) sort of, when you actually go to edit the page you can either edit the wikicode directly, or you can use a WYSIWYG edit, like a word processor.

Although, now what you mention it, OpenOffice can export documents to wiki format, look at the pictures in my previous post, the second one is the WYSIWYG editor, the top one is editing the wikicode directly.

Aperion

• Old-Schooler
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 02:27:31 PM »
hmm I had a copy of open office but never played with it . I also dont see how to edit page? sigh. So do I view source and edit?
perhaps this will help: http://www.scxc.org/wiki/index.php?title=Editing_the_Homepage

Aperion

• Old-Schooler
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 09:57:36 PM »
Chris , I have been using some of the codes I have looked up and the WikiSyntax is not working for some reason. These are some simple syntax I am playing with. Any thoughts     One is _italic_ , or *bold*. Is this some sort of sub language of wiki?

Name/Sample Markup 
italic  _italic_ 
bold  *bold* 
code  `code` 
code  {{{

different wikis use different syntax, the software we use is called mediawiki, it is the same software as wikipedia and uses the same syntax.

Soylent Yellow

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 5254
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 03:08:19 PM »
Although, now what you mention it, OpenOffice can export documents to wiki format, look at the pictures in my previous post, the second one is the WYSIWYG editor, the top one is editing the wikicode directly.

Chris, can you explain how this is done?  Keep it simple because I'm on percocet and feeling kind of squishy in the brain.  I really want to do this and I have tons of time on my hands right now so if I can get a handle on it I'll do it.
I'd rather be happy than right any day.

Aperion

• Old-Schooler
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 03:16:44 PM »

Chris, can you explain how this is done?  Keep it simple because I'm on percocet and feeling kind of squishy in the brain.  I really want to do this and I have tons of time on my hands right now so if I can get a handle on it I'll do it.
did you see the document at : http://www.scxc.org/wiki/index.php?title=Editing_the_Homepage those are pretty much the steps needed to edit the homepage. Let me know if you need more info, it might be easier to jsut talk over the phone. PM me your number if you'd rather do it that way.