Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: What Happened to the SCCX Crew  (Read 7934 times)

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
What Happened to the SCCX Crew
« on: March 01, 2018, 11:36:14 PM »
So my question is ,
We have 576 members
Maybe 30 Active forum members
and 15-20 that are actively involved

I guess I have no question, ???

Just confused ,why knightrider puts so much effort into nothing ??
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re: What Happened to the SCCX Crew
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 12:16:25 AM »
I think it comes down to exposure, I am terrible at keeping up with it but marketing is huge.

I like to do what I can, which is computer things. 

A constant influx of new blood is key.  Maybe we do the business card/sticker thing for Xterras we see around.  Post events to FB/instatwitter with #numbersigns. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 12:24:19 AM by knightrider »
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 07:39:06 AM »
Who handles the FB page? assuming knightrider?

FBinSD

• 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 07:41:56 AM »
Probably need an Instagram page to compete these days....
2012 Frontier pro4x

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 08:14:10 AM »
Who handles the FB page? assuming knightrider?

Yep
Jordan - K6XTE

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 09:19:27 AM »
Probably need an Instagram page to compete these days....
I've been nice thinking that for a while. I'm an IG whore and I'd be more than willing to run an IG page.

However, I think the limited exposure keeps this group pretty tight. Yes, new members is always a good thing, but it's also nice to know exactly who you're out with and whether or not you can trust them in the boonies.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 10:47:08 AM »
However, I think the limited exposure keeps this group pretty tight. Yes, new members is always a good thing, but it's also nice to know exactly who you're out with and whether or not you can trust them in the boonies.
Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I thought that we already had a FB page, and it kinda died out.  Speaking for the old guys, who shall remain nameless, (Hint: Me, Eric and maybe Tony) FB seem to take away a lot of traffic from our site.  My wife would tell me about outings that I never got to see.  OK, maybe that was the plan, but still, just sayin' ::) 

"I visualised a FBer in a haze as one of those slackster, flannel-wearing, coffee-house misanthropes I've been seeing in Newsweek."  You know a bunch of hipsters in touch with themselves wearing funny hats, smoking refers, shooting cocaine and snorting LSD.  Oh yeah, except for my wife of course, she's just checking on her kids. 
I guess what I'm trying to say is...   It's OK to feed from different troughs, just don't drink the bong water.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 12:40:41 PM »
I thought that we already had a FB page, and it kinda died out.  Speaking for the old guys, who shall remain nameless, (Hint: Me, Eric and maybe Tony) FB seem to take away a lot of traffic from our site.  My wife would tell me about outings that I never got to see.  OK, maybe that was the plan, but still, just sayin' ::) 

"I visualised a FBer in a haze as one of those slackster, flannel-wearing, coffee-house misanthropes I've been seeing in Newsweek."  You know a bunch of hipsters in touch with themselves wearing funny hats, smoking refers, shooting cocaine and snorting LSD.  Oh yeah, except for my wife of course, she's just checking on her kids. 
I guess what I'm trying to say is...   It's OK to feed from different troughs, just don't drink the bong water.
That makes perfect sense.  I've never liked depending on FB to organize runs.  In my experience on SCXF, 30 people say they're going to go on the FB event page and only 10 show up.  Do we wait for everyone, just in case someone is running late?  I'm a person of accountability, if you say you're going to go, you go or you contact the organizer and say you can't make it.  FB is kind of a cop out. 

There's also another way to look at it and it's the dependence on technology that started in the younger people of my generation and has perpetuated with the newer generation after mine.  Many people don't take the time to get on a forum.  FB is quick and easy.  There's another lesson learned from SCXF.  One of their members started a forum for SCXF.  It was beautiful and well organized.  No one, and I mean literally no one signed up for the forum, besides myself and the creator.  Most everyone in SCXF falls into the generation after mine and they think forums are outdated.  However, I believe forums allow for more accountability and the capability to better organize a run. 
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 03:22:04 PM »
Being one of the old guys like Duffman, I don't Facebook, Instagram, Snap chat or any other of those millennial self indulgent forms of communications.  But I do know if we want to reach more people then that's the way to do it.  It would be nice if someone who spoke that language could help this band of geriatrics get the word out on how much fun we really are.  There are a few of us North of the Camp Pendelton/Tijuana border that would like to stay involved unfortunately here in the OC we seem to be surrounded by the millennials, they like the way my truck looks but don't want to get involved since we are only a Blog site.

I'm all for a new logo and some new shirts.  Go beedee!
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 06:24:31 PM »
  I wouldn't mind being able to expand the sites membership for runs and activity a little. I try and tell other guys I run into about the site and encourage they head out with us. The trips always seem to be a lot of fun no matter it be an Anza Borrego, Big Bear or a bigger run. I agree with RikRong that it's nice knowing who you are going out miles away with especially when your family is along. I'm with Woody and Randy that I could care less about any of the millennial smoke signals that's being used today. It all just seems impersonal to me but that's coming from someone who will still write a letter to a friend and do so in cursive. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing as that's how the young guys like to communicate. Maybe some of those things can be linked back to here somehow so people have the ability to sign up for the runs on this forum? I think we are a close knit group that still gets together for a lot of fun in between having families and generally working way too hard and hope it can stay that way. This forum is a great spot to come and relax a little at the start or end of a day. Having it not get too big keeps things personal which is a great thing and I always really look forward to the trips. 
Isaiah 6:8

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 08:10:03 PM »
I'm an IG whore and I'd be more than willing to run an IG page.

Do it. 
Might be time to refresh the branding? With all due respect, the logo design feels kind of dated.
Not opposed to this.  If you could do some designs, maybe some rough ideas, I'm into it. I was just talking to a new contact on getting shirts/stickers/patches made so perfect time for a new design.

We do have a FB page but JT3 and I are the only admins, if anyone else would like to help add content I would appreciate it.  I am not huge into posting and stuff so you youngins could be a great addition.  I agree it's nice to have stuff on FB like runs but some people miss out on the goings on because they do not face the book.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 08:18:32 PM by knightrider »
Jordan - K6XTE

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 08:13:09 PM »
awesome feedback. Loving it!!!

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 08:16:26 PM »
People would vote for what day, and what location they'd like the run to be, and then not show up. I can't tell you how many times I'd see a Saturday get lets just say 20 votes, and a Sunday gets lets just say 15. And then because of the poll votes the run gets set for Saturday, the pictures start trickling in Saturday night and maybe only 7 people showed up for the run. That drove me nuts, and eventually guided me to setting up my one little "private" runs of only a few people.

I have noticed this alot on the mountain biking trail work days posted to FB, lots of people sign up and say they are going and then maybe half of those people show up to the actual work day.  If you want to post up runs here that is fine with us, you may get a few more participants since some of us have weird schedules as well, working weekends sucks.
Jordan - K6XTE

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 08:22:11 PM »
Also I will have no hurt feelings for anyone wanting to help, this is an all volunteer group.  I maintain the website since no one else wanted to/could and I am the first to admit I am terrible at social media.  I live in the moment so I almost never take pictures or post things on IG/bookspace.
Jordan - K6XTE

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 08:37:18 PM »

Hey I am on her I am from the OC, I am not a millennial.

Being one of the old guys like Duffman, I don't Facebook, Instagram, Snap chat or any other of those millennial self indulgent forms of communications.  But I do know if we want to reach more people then that's the way to do it.  It would be nice if someone who spoke that language could help this band of geriatrics get the word out on how much fun we really are.  There are a few of us North of the Camp Pendelton/Tijuana border that would like to stay involved unfortunately here in the OC we seem to be surrounded by the millennials, they like the way my truck looks but don't want to get involved since we are only a Blog site.

I'm all for a new logo and some new shirts.  Go beedee!