Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: my summer project  (Read 6555 times)

4x4forfun

• 4wd Pts: 6
my summer project
« on: October 19, 2009, 12:31:48 AM »
I took this 1986 Coleman Colorado I have owned for the past 7 years and built a whole new trailor frame so I could carry my Suzuki 400 DRZs when I go camping. The overall weight empty is 850 lbs with a huge deep cycle battery. 790 without the battery. The bike weighs 300 lbs. With the bike on the front, the tounge weight is 200lbs even. Without the bike it is 50 lbs even. All the bike carrying stuff (wheel chock, tire rail, and ramp) comes off so I can put my cooler and other heavy items up there when I leave the bike at home. Since the original camper "box" was made of 3/4"  plywood strips 1 1/2'' 's wide stapled to an 1/8th luan plywood on the inside and had a thin aluminum skin glued to the outside, I decided to build a steel tube skeleton and rebuild the box as well. I reused the axle, wheel wells, tent top and aluminum rails, door frame aluminum, floor and interior seat frames but I replaced all the original 1/8th" paneling wood with new 1/8th" mahagony 1/8th" ply. The project took me about 5 months on weekends only and cost about $1,000 total in materials, cutting and sanding disk and welding wire. Bought all the metal at IMS and all my wire and sanding/ cutting disk at HomeDepot. Paint is Rustoleum camoflage sand. It came out a lot better than I expected and tows great loaded up to 1,250 lbs with bike and gear. Just don't be in a hurry!!!

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2693308000105731736PbZxTr]

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 01:29:19 AM by 4x4forfun »
But he said it was stock friendly!!

chad

• 4wd Pts: 2
Re: my summer project
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 12:20:30 PM »
I like it. nice job on the rig
Hey don't get me wrong or anything, I have been in the outdoors but... is it always this dusty????

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
Re: my summer project
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 07:36:03 PM »
Very nice work. Looks like a real quality build.
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.