Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: You can put your own CO2 tank together  (Read 12231 times)

SoCalXTerry

• 4wd Pts: 54
You can put your own CO2 tank together
« on: February 18, 2013, 04:34:14 PM »
Thanks to Macguyvermedic last year at GoneMoab, I put my own CO2 tank together:

You can find 10lb tanks almost anywhere.  I saw one on Amazon for ~$84.00 even with a handle  ;D

Then Toyota of Dallas Parts for this: http://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-7165
NOTE: Interesting thing about CO2 it delivers a constant volumn of co2 at about 600 psi until it dumps(no more co2 left).   So the only thing you need to do is get it back to a more manageable pressure like 150 psi.

Then I went to EMEDCO and got their fire extinguisher mouting bracket http://www.emedco.com/fire-extinguisher-mounting-bracket-ms142.html
But I'm sure there is someone local that carries these. Or one might want to rig themselves a mounting bracket.

So you are right if you shop you could put one together for about $200 or less

Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

BikersCage

• 4wd Pts: 4
Re: You can put your own CO2 tank together
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/tanks/co2.shtml

15 lb tank 94.99, you can also find guys who are selling their home brew aluminum tanks all over craigslist.

Quick fist will attach and work up to 9.5" diameter.  The 15lb tank is 7" about 11 dollars a piece. x 2

http://www.endroad.com/index.php/quick-fist-mounts/super-quick-fist-clamp.html 

That gets you up to around 165 without hoses and the end state equipment.

Any thoughts for hoses, i know that the regular coil hoses have had problems with extended amounts of PSI going through them.

SoCalXTerry

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 07:22:32 PM »
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/tanks/co2.shtml

15 lb tank 94.99, you can also find guys who are selling their home brew aluminum tanks all over craigslist.

Quick fist will attach and work up to 9.5" diameter.  The 15lb tank is 7" about 11 dollars a piece. x 2

http://www.endroad.com/index.php/quick-fist-mounts/super-quick-fist-clamp.html  

That gets you up to around 165 without hoses and the end state equipment.

Any thoughts for hoses, i know that the regular coil hoses have had problems with extended amounts of PSI going through them.

Wow that's a good price on either the 10# or 15# tank.  And it looks like they are right in San Diego.  Do they have local pickup?

Don't forget the regulator.

And I use a standard 3/8 coil hose.   Gets a little stiff at about the fourth wheel but has no problem with the pressure.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:26:51 PM by SoCalXTerry »
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

BikersCage

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 07:47:15 PM »
Ok started looking at it some more.

25' rubber Air Hose operating pressure up to 200 PSI.  So rubber for those possible freezes and wont bust easily.  25' Should get you easily around the vehicle.

http://www.maxautosupplies.com/product.asp?itemid=308&gclid=CKewq8GywbUCFQhxQgodpC4AlQ  $15

ARB Chuck w/ Guage 23 (free shipping)

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16104_9102.htm?sgsc=C6Z06ZR1C6Z06ZR1&utm_medium=compshop&utm_source=googlemerchant&gclid=CPHJ_ei6wbUCFeeDQgodPBYAgA

This should put you at at least airing up tires with decent equipment at around 200.  Give or take a little for shipping.  I am sure you could find free shipping sites.

This is the Tank (100 for 15lb)
150 PSI regulator (45)
Quick Fist mounting (25)
25' Hose (15)
ARB Chuck (23)

So 208 where we sit right now.  Thats using a decent equipment that shouldnt fail.  We could cheap it up even more and prolly get around 180 mark.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:50:04 PM by BikersCage »

MaxPower

• 4wd Pts: 18
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 08:37:52 PM »
Please excuse the lame questions......  where do you refill the tank?  How fast can it fill the tires back up compared to a compressor?  How many tires before a refill of the tank is required?  How much to refill? 
This isn't Santa's Workshop.  This place smells like mushrooms and everyone looks like they want to hurt me.

SoCalXTerry

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 08:57:45 PM »
Please excuse the lame questions......  where do you refill the tank?  How fast can it fill the tires back up compared to a compressor?  How many tires before a refill of the tank is required?  How much to refill? 

Refill the tank?   I have found 1 place Air Source in Long Beach (I'm wondering if it is a Cali thing  Regs and all)   A lot of other places want to exchange.   These folks will refill and re-certify.

I would say appr.  3 minutes a tire  that is from 11 pounds in a 33" tire.

I can air-up all tires 4 times.  So what is that 16 tires.

Cost to refill last time was $23.00
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

BikersCage

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 09:18:33 PM »
Terry what PSI does your actual tire chuck work at.  Different ones actually bring down the PSI even more, unless I am understanding wrong.

Using the Powertank stuff you could do a tire 10 to 36 psi in about 1 min.  So even if we are twice as slow its still a lot faster than most 200 dollar compressors out there.

Also try different tank refill areas.  Try asking a local home brew place if they do it or who they use.  Also places that refill portable fire extinguishers should be able to do it.

Although after filling it up about 10 times you pay more than the compressor, but i like the ease and the use possibilities.  If i get some power tools i can use it off that, and other such items.  Blowing out the rig after completing a trip etc....

SoCalXTerry

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 05:19:13 AM »
Terry what PSI does your actual tire chuck work at.  Different ones actually bring down the PSI even more, unless I am understanding wrong.

Using the Powertank stuff you could do a tire 10 to 36 psi in about 1 min.  So even if we are twice as slow its still a lot faster than most 200 dollar compressors out there.

Also try different tank refill areas.  Try asking a local home brew place if they do it or who they use.  Also places that refill portable fire extinguishers should be able to do it.

Although after filling it up about 10 times you pay more than the compressor, but i like the ease and the use possibilities.  If i get some power tools i can use it off that, and other such items.  Blowing out the rig after completing a trip etc....

You know I have not actually timed it.   I have one of those air line attachemen ts that "connects" to the valve stem so I hook it up and wait for the bulge to go away.

But my CO2 tank has a lot more uses than just airing up my tires at the end of the run.  I do carry pneumatic tools with me and have removed tires, removed and replaced coilovers, re-inflated tires that has blown a bead.  I am even capable(have the tools) to replace a half shaft if necessary.

And if you know where this multitude of refill stations exist I think there are a number of us that could use that piece of advice.   It seems around here nobody wants to refill, they all want to replace and to someone with a $300 tank that is not an option.   I personally am wondering if there is a California code someplace that puts all these regulations on organizations to make it not worth it.  Maybe from a certification standpoint or something.   

If there is anybody that knows of such places outside the one that I found in Long Beach in Southern California, I and a number of other people would certainly be interested to know. 

Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

SD_Frontier

• 4wd Pts: 14
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 07:51:37 AM »
I think in San Diego, there are places like AirGas, Praxair, WestAir, Stoody Welding, and paintball stored like Velocity Paintball that fill CO2. The first two are national companies, I think, so you may have them up in OC or LA.
2005 Super Black (and white) Crew Cab SE 4x4

Code Name: SHAMU

Build Thread

SoCalXTerry

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 07:56:53 AM »
I think in San Diego, there are places like AirGas, Praxair, WestAir, Stoody Welding, and paintball stored like Velocity Paintball that fill CO2. The first two are national companies, I think, so you may have them up in OC or LA.

That's great but do you know if they "refill 10# CO2 tanks".   The majority up here in LA/Orange Co either want to exchange the 10# tanks or won't fill anything larger than a small paintball tank.
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 11:42:09 AM »
Stoody's is the only place I have found that will fill on the spot, and not require an exchange.

Stoody Industrial & Welding Supply

West Coast Air and Airgas in Escondido will not fill on the spot, and I also called three fire extinguisher supply/service companies, and after describing what the application was they stated they wouldn't touch it.

I agree with Terry...I think there are more regulations and tank certifications in California than other states.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

SoCalXTerry

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 12:13:39 PM »
Stoody's is the only place I have found that will fill on the spot, and not require an exchange.

Stoody Industrial & Welding Supply

West Coast Air and Airgas in Escondido will not fill on the spot, and I also called three fire extinguisher supply/service companies, and after describing what the application was they stated they wouldn't touch it.

I agree with Terry...I think there are more regulations and tank certifications in California than other states.

Hooray John.    You found one.    ;D      Now we have two
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 12:16:26 PM by SoCalXTerry »
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 12:27:26 PM »
I'll have to find the links on my home computer but reinforced hose is what you want, due to pressure and temp many regular hoses can fail.  I'll post some links tonight for cheap places that make the hoses for power tank and some of the other co2 setups
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 12:28:50 PM »
Also power tank does have some bare tanks with regulators and hose for around $320, some overstock from an OEM order they did, look in the clearance section of their site.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

BikersCage

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 01:14:31 PM »
I understand power tank has those extra's.  However the point of this was to keep it around 200 bucks though.  320 is already way more than I want to spend.

If i want it a pretty color ill plasti dip it or something so i can take it off and change it later.  I want the functionality and it to be decent materials.