Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Pepe, the Little Mule  (Read 48014 times)

PainRoller

• 4wd Pts: 46
  • DILLIGAF
    • 2009 Bad Ass Xterra - Rig Name: PEPE
Re: Pepe, the Little Mule
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 12:28:18 AM »
Awesome Rig,

It's looking good, hope to wheel with you one day

Thank you - and Hell Yeah we need to go wheeling!!  How have we NOT wheeled together yet?!?!?!  Lookin' like the Winter Mojave Run will be our  first....  ;D ;D

PainRoller

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 12:45:04 AM »
Time to fill the argon/co2 tank, buy some cut off wheels and flap discs.

If this is all for "our little friend" - then WOO-HOO!!!!  I am giddy with anticipation!! ;D ;D 

(wait for it..............)

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 12:53:37 AM »
I have Ol' Man Emu's coupled with 2" Calmini shackles. Together they have set the height about where I need it to be. In reality, I thought the OME's would be a little stiffer ride that they are but seem to handle the rocks easily. I've put them through their paces on some tough Moab runs, the John Bull here and a lot of desert wheeling all while carrying loads.  I'm still running Bilstein 5200's which are working just fine. Eventually I will get something I can get a more downward articulation, maybe look into RadFlo's or similar. I think you will be very happy with those OME Dakkar's and you shouldn't bottom out so much now under load.
Isaiah 6:8

PainRoller

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 01:17:04 AM »
I have Ol' Man Emu's coupled with 2" Calmini shackles. Together they have set the height about where I need it to be. In reality, I thought the OME's would be a little stiffer ride that they are but seem to handle the rocks easily. I've put them through their paces on some tough Moab runs, the John Bull here and a lot of desert wheeling all while carrying loads.  I'm still running Bilstein 5200's which are working just fine. Eventually I will get something I can get a more downward articulation, maybe look into RadFlo's or similar. I think you will be very happy with those OME Dakkar's and you shouldn't bottom out so much now under load.

Thanks for the input!  I'm really hoping our bottom dragging/sagging days are over (soooooo embarrassing)!!  :o  I still blame the BEANS!!  ::)

Talked to Greg at PRG and he told us what he thought would work best with our current setup and camping needs.  He pointed us in the right direction on the front suspension, so we thought we'd give him a go for the rear suspension as well.

We ended up with full OME Dakar Set, Adjustable Shackles, U-Bolt Flip Kit, and some Radflo Emulsion Shocks (completely rebuildable and revalveable).  He is setting the shocks to what he thinks will be the best ride for us.  If we don't like it, we just send them back to be adjusted.
But the Radflo's haven't shipped yet.

Time will tell if this works best for us.  I'm really hoping so!!  I'm super thankful for all the advice given us and the info available to help make an "informed" decision!  SCCX ROCKS!!  ;D ;D

PainRoller

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 07:10:52 PM »
Without all the camping gear in the cargo area, Pepe got his lift back.  Pepe has been looking mighty sassy lately.  Then tonight, we took the RTT off (approx 160 lbs) and DAMN!!!!!! Pepe is sitting even higher!!!!  And rides like a dream again.  I guess that AAL isn't shot after all.  >:(

Getting the suspension revamped this weekend.  I hope it's all worth it and it does what we need.

Is it too much to ask to not ride like a dump truck empty and yet not be ass sagging when full?  :P

I want it ALL - Overlander, Camper, Rock Crawler, and DD!!  ::) ::)

Also, def want to try and get Cleghorn in before RTT goes back on......  :-*

FixItGuy

• 4wd Pts: 7
  • "Always know WHY you do what you do."
    • '09 Xterra
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2015, 04:36:53 PM »
THANKS!! AGAIN!!

The rock factor of this group is amazing! ;D

Spencer, Danny, Steve, Jordan... Thanks very much for restoring the rear suspension and helping with the roof rack of the acclaimed Pepe.

The rear shocks were BLOWN - an accordion has more resistance than these did!
The springs and RadFlos rode niiiice on the way home. Didn't even miss the sway bar thingy  ;).

Can't wait to get out in the dirt!!!
Solution:  get an eye patch and a parrot, and welcome to the party!!!

PainRoller

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 04:47:34 PM »
Pics or it didn't happen!!!   ;D

Saturday: Spencer helping with Front Runner Rack

Thanks Spencer for coming over and helping! It's always a pleasure to hang out with you.

PainRoller

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2015, 05:01:06 PM »
Sunday Funday at TORO's!!

So awesome to hang out with Steve, Danny, and Jordan!  Thanks for helping put the PEP back in PEPE! ::) ::)

Jordan......  O0   :-*

Stand Back!  Butt Lift in Progress!
Operating Table:

Surgery:

Gun Show Expo:

Calf Roping (Xterra Style) aka Teamwork:

The THINK TANK:

Seriously........thanks guys!  YOU ROCK!!    :-* :-*

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 05:34:19 PM »
Burrito lunch was well worth it.

Oh, and hanging out with buds!
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 05:43:27 PM »
Burrito lunch was well worth it.

Oh, and hanging out with buds!
X2
  I'll do ungodly things for Chipotle. Luckily all I did was hang out with some of the coolest peeps around and wrench.
   Pretty legit Sunday as far as I'm concerned.

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2015, 08:52:30 PM »
So where is the new ride height?

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2015, 06:16:20 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^X2^^^^^^^^^^^
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2015, 09:06:22 PM »
And, honest question here... why the new frontrunner roof rack? If you were just running the RTT anyway, does the rack give you any extra storage? I suppose the whole front part is usable now where it wasn't with the factory rack (wet box). Or did the RTT not work right on the factor rack? Just curious.

PainRoller

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2015, 12:15:58 AM »
So many questions!  ;D

No measurement for enhancements has been taken.  I'm not interested in this metric until it settles a bit, has the roof rack and possibly the RTT on it.  The ride quality is pretty stiff at this point.  Not dump trucking it, but definitely stiffer than we are use to.  The evaluation will be when  it's fully loaded for the Winter Mojave Run.  This will be the true test to see if this is our long term solution.  ::)

Original Shocks were BLOWN!!  And yes, before anyone asks, the rear sway bar was removed.    8)

As for the Front Runner Rack:

If Toro offers to alter a Front Runner Rack to make it a BAD ASS LOW RIDER - it seems prudent to take him up on said awesome offer.   ;D  ;D
Other considerations:
- Elongated rack equals more creative storage opportunities (we found the wetbox's usefulness narrow and limited)
- able to move the RTT up a skosh for more balanced load
- RTT will sit MUCH LOWER on the altered rack than the OME rack - affording better offroading and gas mileage (it sounds good, so it must be true!!)
- the FR modular rack system makes it easy to add extra goodies - kinda like a swiss army knife!

PainRoller

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2016, 01:03:02 PM »
Teasers.........

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]