Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: GPS suggestions  (Read 6189 times)

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
GPS suggestions
« on: January 21, 2015, 08:25:27 AM »
Any Recommendations on a Cheap GPS (SatNav)???
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Re: GPS suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 08:32:51 AM »
Any Recommendations on a Cheap GPS (SatNav)???

Jay - can you provide a little more information, IE:  intended use?
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Jayrat

• FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 08:55:39 AM »
Sorry.. Mostly Off Road , fire roads,trails, etc..
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 07:10:47 PM »
Okay cool...so accurate mapping for off roading/fire roads etc?

Check out Garmin and DeLorme. They have decent mapping software for some of their sub-$100 units. Try to get a unit that offers SD card upgrades, which helps with map storage.

Now if we are talking paperless geocaching...;)

Sent from Planet Claire
 using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 07:11:50 PM »
Lowrance if budget is no object. Check out Rugged Rocks/Rugged Routes stuff.

Very cool.

Sent from Planet Claire
 using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

Jayrat

• FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 08:12:55 PM »
I haven't started searching for Geocache  "YET" I can see myself getting a little addicted , love me a good treasure hunt.
thanks for the suggestions on GPS.
see you on the Bradshaw Trail

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 02:43:33 AM »
Lowrance if budget is no object. Check out Rugged Rocks/Rugged Routes stuff.

Very cool.

Sent from Planet Claire
 using Tapatalk

I'd second the Lowrance from Rugged Rocks and the map layouts fro Rugged Routes. I've seen them in action and it's pretty amazing real time information.
Isaiah 6:8

x4dblduty

• 4wd Pts: 2
    • 2006 Off Road Granite
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 05:48:31 PM »
Guys, I'm shopping around, any other reliable units besides the sweet Lowrances, $300 or less would be better to budget.  Mostly CA, NV, AZ offroad trails.  Current models? 

Thanks!

Jayrat

• FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 06:38:48 PM »
Guys, I'm shopping around, any other reliable units besides the sweet Lowrances, $300 or less would be better to budget.  Mostly CA, NV, AZ offroad trails.  Current models? 

Thanks!
There has been a recent discussion started here,
I just PM'd SCUBA a tech question
https://www.sccxterra.com/smf/index.php?topic=4665.0

Gunslinger2N

• 4wd Pts: 5
  • semel iterumque referebant eos ad contritionem!!!!
    • 2014 Pro-4X
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 09:06:09 PM »
Hey all.... Just my 2 cents. I am running a Delorme / Garmin inreach blue toothed to an IPAD mini. It works like a champ! I am able to pull up several different types of maps (Actually downloaded to the IPAD) including Imagery...

Now the pros and cons

Pros
1) Super accurate GPS
2) Downloadable Maps and imagery
3) Long battery life (Used for 3 days and still had battery room left
4) emergency contact with GEOS (I think its GEOS). So if stuff goes real south you can get a hold of the people who will come get you and may save your life.

and the big winner for me

5) Satellite communications and tracking. So every so often (User defined) the unit leaves a bread crumb and you can see on the map where it dropped the pin. I bought this unit when I was doing solo hiking and the boss wanted me to be as safe a possible. The communications portion is the huge bonus here. You can send and receive text based messages. You can also send a message to your loved ones and it will show them on a map where you are (too intrusive for some, but works for me). I have never not had a signal with this thing. Its pretty bullet proof..... (YMMV)

Cons

1) High up front cost
2) Subscription based program

For me this was a game changer..

Gunslinger2N / KM6WOC

Celt

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 06:58:16 AM »
The biggest issue I have with the subscription based units is more often than not I am somewhere where I have a good general idea of where I am. At the very least I will know that if I head in whichever direction I can get out. The few times I am not in those places it would really pay off. Sometimes the Big Bear fire routes are easy to get turned around on especially at night after you have come off of a trail and are tired. You will eventually get to where you need to be but "Eventually" is not always optimal.. Using them for solo travel in wilderness areas is another great option for security. I finally bought an older used Garmin that I've been super happy with. It tells me everything I need to know. I have not yet upgraded the maps as you have to pay a small-ish fee to update it. I probably eventually will, someday....maybe.

I STILL like my map and compass truth be told.

x4dblduty

• 4wd Pts: 2
    • 2006 Off Road Granite
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 09:03:04 AM »
So...which older Garmin with a decent sized screen can someone recommend, with updated maps?  I'm looking into this Lowrance but only a 7" screen at this price, I suppose is reasonable.

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/Elite-7-Ti2-Multifunction-Off-road-GPS-Lowrance.html?search=gps

Or this Magellan at $399?

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 09:50:47 AM by x4dblduty »

Celt

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 08:20:02 PM »
 I bought a used Garmin Nuvi and while it's a small screen I've still been happy with it. The maps are upgradable for either a $49 fee or a $80-something lifetime upgrade. It's actually worked very well for me and I can do simple things like zoom in etc. I'm still trying to figure out how to easily pre-load trails prior to getting to them but it's easy enough. The time/direction and speed have been right on target thus far. I don't know if it would fit your bill with the screen but even with my old tired eyes it's plain enough.