Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: I finally got my FCC License to use the GMRS channels!  (Read 10609 times)

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
I finally got my FCC License to use the GMRS channels!
« on: May 29, 2009, 09:36:54 PM »
I finally got my FCC License to use the GMRS channels!   Requested the application, got it in 1 week, filled it out, took about 1 month and $85.00.  And it's good for 5 years too.  Now that I have it, I don't really know what to do with it.  Any ideas?
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
Re: I finally got my FCC License to use the GMRS channels!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 12:29:15 PM »
I finally got my FCC License to use the GMRS channels!   Requested the application, got it in 1 week, filled it out, took about 1 month and $85.00.  And it's good for 5 years too.  Now that I have it, I don't really know what to do with it.  Any ideas?

Get a ham license for $15 for five years and buy a real radio?  ;)

Since there's nothing to prevent the kids from flipping their FRS/GRMS radios to the licensed GRMS channels they too often do. The good thing about a GRMS license is that they are good for your whole family - ham radio licenses are not. There are higher power GRMS radio's that can use external antennas but the money is better spent on a 2M radio IMHO.
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 02:13:23 PM »
For $85.00 I hope it came framed. :o
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

xtatik

• 4wd Pts: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 01:22:23 PM »
Wow!! 85 bucks for a "Walkie-Talkie" license?  That's half the price of a real radio.
K6ARW

Soylent Yellow

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 5254
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 02:25:35 PM »
Pay no attention to the nay-sayers.  I hope it works well for you Irwin.
I'd rather be happy than right any day.

SuperSlideStyle

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 09:52:07 PM »
I went down to El Toro in San Diego with some friends in a separate car, they the a 2 way on GMRS and I had the other and were going kayak fishing when the local life guards on jet skis asked us if we were licensed for those channels.  I think they were listening on our channel.  Luckily I was and they moved on.  So far this has been the only time I've used it.
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

FrankB

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 10:42:25 PM »
Are those channels on the FRS radios that most of us have now? If so, what channels are these?  Or is this a different radio?   I guess I did not realize they required a license to use. But then, I've never used anything other than 1 through 12, and only sub-code 24.  I'm not even sure how many channels are on my Motorola.

fleury123

• 4wd Pts: 3
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 01:47:35 PM »
same radio Frank as mine both go GRMS. But then Paul summed it up that no one adhears to the set policy

SuperSlideStyle

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 06:42:43 PM »
I believe Motorola (and most two-ways) have 22-24 channels with 7-14 requiring a license for use.  However with the different sub-codes, you have up to 140+ or so different privacy code options.  It's not so much of a big deal when we use those channels out in the desert or mountains but if you happen to de in Downtown San Diego near the naval docks or El Toro or Point Mugu Marine base, they can enforce the license use in that particular region.  I've been doing electrical work an active-duty Marine who is going back to Afghanistan next month and he's telling me that the military does get somewhat picky near their bases sending out MP's to patrol.
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD