Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Anza Borrego - Blair Valley - the "Apple Pie Run" - Sat Nov 18, 2017  (Read 11778 times)

FrankB

It's about time for another "Apple Pie" run.  This was a traditional thing in SCCX generally the weekend before Thanksgiving that I used to set up every year, but they've been a little sporadic the last few years.  The last one was 2015.  For this year I thought we might go back to Blair Valley again.

Blair Valley Loop, Anza Borrego Desert State Park, with hiking to Ghost Mountain (Marshal South home site), Morteros and Pictograph Hiking Trails.

This is a mild one, with probably more time out of the trucks hiking and eating/socializing than driving. Blair Valley Loop is an easy 14 miles or so of mostly sandy trail driving, with 3 nice hikes along the way. We've done this one a few times in the past, there are picture threads in case you're wondering what it looks like.

Meet Time / Spot: Saturday November 18, 2017 - 10:00 AM at Blair Valley Primitive Camp, Anza Borrego Desert State Park, San Diego County.
Approx. 5.5 miles south of Scissors Crossing (the spot where San Diego County Road S-2 crosses SR 78) on County Road S-2, look for the campground and vault toilet building on the left, just before mile post 23. The campground, and even most of the trails we'll be on, are clearly marked on the Auto Club San Diego Region paper map, on all Anza Borrego Desert State Park paper maps, and on pretty much all other paper maps of the area.

This route should be stock and even 2WD friendly the entire way, but I have not been out there recently to confirm.  That said, in the many times I've been to Blair Valley I've not needed 4WD or even felt the need to air down.  I parked next to a BMW sedan at the Pictograph Trail parking area one time.  If it rains right before we get there, there could be some mud on the last stretch on our way out.

We'll start out driving the long way around (just to get in some driving and enjoy the scenery) through Blair Valley to the trailhead for Yaquitepec, the site of Marshal South's family home on the top of Ghost Mountain. The hiking trail is a steep 1-mile each way, with a significant elevation gain on the way up. If nothing else* - wear sturdy shoes. At the top are the remains of the adobe home and South's elaborate water system. The views from the home site on the summit of Ghost Mountain are spectacular.

You can read about Marshal South here: Marshal South Desert USA

After lunch somewhere in the valley (we know a good spot that we've used in the past) we'll drive to the trail head for the Pictograph Hiking Trail, an easy 1-mile each way trail (some elevation gain, but hardly noticeable) that leads to a large boulder covered with Indian pictographs. This area sits at a much higher elevation than other parts of Anza Borrego so the vegetation is completely different, and much more abundant. From the rock it's another 1/2 mile or so out to an amazing overlook view of the Carrizo Badlands. On the way back out to the highway, if time permits, we can also do the easy half mile or so round-trip hike (really a walk) to the Morteros, the site of an old Indian village.

Optional Camping Saturday Night: I don't plan to camp, but there are several options for camping on Saturday (or Friday) if anyone is interested. There is a State Park Primitive Camp at Blair Valley, with vault toilets. You can also camp in other parts of the valley, there are marked and unmarked spots in both Blair Valley and Little Blair Valley. Across S-2 and south a bit is the entrance to Chariot and Rodriquez Canyons, there are a few nice camp spots in there as well.  You are also not to far from Arroyo Seco del Diablo or Pinyon Mountain.  Let me know if you want some specific suggestions or ideas. Keep in mind that ground fires are not allowed in the State Park, you will need a metal fire container.

Reference:

Wells Guide to So Cal Backroads & 4WD Trails, number 53, page 191.

Comm:

FRS Channel 11, sub-code 24

Let me know if you're interested. Also, anyone coming from the San Diego area is welcome to caravan out with me. Check with me for details of where to meet. I'll be leaving the area of the intersection of Scripps Poway Parkway and Pomerado Road at 8:00AM, so that I can get to the Pie Company main bakery in Santa Ysabel right when they open at 9:00am.  The Pie Company main bakery in Santa Ysabel is also an alternate meet spot on the way out from San Diego.

Note: This day will be entirely within the boundaries of the Anza Borrego Desert State Park.  As a California State Park there are several rules and regulations that you might want to be aware of, since the rangers do enforce them.

Anza Borrego Desert State Park Visitor Info

Please post any comments, suggestions or questions.

Also - Please be sure to let me know you're coming so we don't wind up waiting too long at the meet spot.  It also helps for knowing how many pies to pick up at the bakery.

* You may have heard talk of "clothing optional".  Some of the historical accounts state that Marshal South and his family were nudists and supposedly required all visitors to their home to leave their clothes at the bottom of the hill.  While some of you may feel inclined to honor Mr. South by going "clothing optional" on the hike to his homesite, I remind you that (a) it's a strenuous hike with lots of cactus and rocks along the way, (b) he's long dead, so not likely to be judgmental if you show up wearing clothes, and (c) the rest of us don't really need to see that.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 09:59:54 PM by FrankB »

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
Re: Anza Borrego - Blair Valley - the "Apple Pie Run" - Sat Nov 18, 2017
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »
Jayrat + 2 >:D
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

CraigBos

• 4wd Pts: 7
    • 2014 Xterra Pro-4X
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 10:56:05 PM »
Pencil in CraigBos + 1
K6BOS - Craig

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 04:18:38 AM »
I'm planning on being there and staying over night if anyone wants to stay too.
Isaiah 6:8

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 09:34:35 AM »
The Queen and I shall attend. Maybe :-[ For sure with the Ziva dog O0

Edited for Update^^^^
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 01:55:10 PM by RBduffer »
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

beedee

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 09:44:45 AM »
Going to do my best to make this.

fourxfunk

• 4wd Pts: 14
I'll be there +3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 04:29:03 AM »
The Queen and I shall attend.

You wanna do an overnight camp?
Isaiah 6:8

CraigBos

• 2014 Xterra Pro-4X
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 09:17:03 PM »
If nothing else* - wear sturdy shoes.

Classic!
K6BOS - Craig

valentin36

• 2012 Nissan Xterra S
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 10:46:23 PM »
If there’s no limit to people
I’m in plus 1

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 10:51:38 PM »
45 Days and Counting
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 07:04:36 PM »
Count me in +2.

EJsarus

• 5th gen T4R
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 09:56:10 AM »
anyone else camping besides celts? Im considering since the wife wants to try out some new gear we just purchased.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 10:59:43 AM »
Just a day run for the Duff family.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

EJsarus

• 5th gen T4R
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 08:01:31 PM »
in 2 weeks. So do we have a camping party going on or is this looking more like a day only event where I wont need to do my usual gear checklist?