Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Desert Shenanegens  (Read 14583 times)

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Re: Desert Shenanegens
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 07:31:49 PM »
 Thus far it looks like folks want to go to:

1. Truckhaven (I would be happy to lead this).
2. Coral Wash and Grave Wash in Ocotillo Wells OHV park, maybe play in either the Notches or Truckhaven.
3. 78 to S2 via Oriflamme trail, then past mudcaves and drop into Fish Creek via Diablo Drop Off trail.
4. Camp at Dos Cabezas and follow the railroad track on mountain bikes to Goat Canyon Trestle.
5. Apple pie run:....... Saturday 11/18/17 Trail leader: Frank B. http://www.sccxterra.com/smf/index.php?topic=4475.msg52863#new
6. Red Rocks and in Spangler OHV area.
7. Pinyon Mtn (Twist my arm...Be happy to lead this)
8. Calcite mine then back down and across the valley to the Iron Door. (I would be happy to lead this)

Pretty good list thus far so once things cool down a little more we need some trip leaders to post up and get this stuff into action. I prefer to spend at least one night down there if not two so some real estate can surely get covered to get in a lot of these places. I know some like day trips so lets get it posted up and I will update the list and some dates.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 04:22:24 AM by Celt »
Isaiah 6:8

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 08:08:24 PM »
To add, Mr. Fanaselle and I have discussed a trip behind Red Rocks and in Spangler OHV area. There's a lot to do back there. This will be more sightseeing with mild offroading.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

• 4wd Pts: 44
  • Education through Pain
    • 04 SAS XTERRA
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 08:11:55 PM »
PINYON MOUNTAIN  :D
It's better to sweat in peace than bleed in war. Death touches all men.

FrankB

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 09:24:19 PM »
This is on my bucket list Hennie. I'm in terrible shape and you'd run circles around me on a bike, but I REALLY want to make it to this bridge and photograph it before it's not here anymore. I missed my chance with most of the Eagle Mountain Railroad and I don't want to miss it here.

As long as you're ok with a fat guy huffing and puffing along behind you (and probably slowing you down quite a bit), I'd love to plan something around this. Maybe for December or January, as I'm pretty booked up for October and November already.

Are the railroad police still watching that stretch of track?  It has been a while, but the last time I looked into getting to the Goat Canyon Trestle via the RR right-of-way I was under the impression that they would get all bent out of shape if they found you there.  Maybe it's changed; or maybe if there is someone slow in the group they can be the sacrificial catch that allows the other to get away.

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 10:25:10 PM »
That story is like a year and half old. My understanding is that no one is enforcing anything, and that no work has taken place. I've even read that several people a day make the trek during the cooler weather months with no issues, and people are even manufacturing cars to ride along the tracks. In theory, it's illegal and you can be busted for it. But the reality is that they'd have to start some strict enforcement to get it under control at this point. I'm not endorsing or advocating any illegal behavior. But I do really want to see that bridge and I don't see the harm if everyone is doing it and the MTS doesn't even seem to care.

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 11:02:31 PM »
That story is like a year and half old. My understanding is that no one is enforcing anything, and that no work has taken place. I've even read that several people a day make the trek during the cooler weather months with no issues, and people are even manufacturing cars to ride along the tracks. In theory, it's illegal and you can be busted for it. But the reality is that they'd have to start some strict enforcement to get it under control at this point. I'm not endorsing or advocating any illegal behavior. But I do really want to see that bridge and I don't see the harm if everyone is doing it and the MTS doesn't even seem to care.
I wasn't trying to throw out negativity.
My biker mentality is:  "It's only Illegal if you get caught "
I am 100% in.
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 12:48:48 AM »
When hennie and I rode it earlier this year there were many hikers and bikers out on the tracks, even a few guys with a custom made gas powered cart.  There were also a few rock falls blocking the rails, one big one that was almost completely blocking one of the tunnels.

The ride is pretty easy, very slight grade up going from dos cabezas and downhill on the way back.  I would just walk the bridges, Hennie sliced 2 tubes and i got a sidewall puncture on the way back from the grating that sides the bridges.

Edit: probably the guys we saw out there.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 01:01:00 AM by knightrider »
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

beedee

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 09:42:21 AM »
I'd most likely be in for the day portion, unless we met up with the group Saturday evening. My wife does hair and Saturdays are her busiest days typically. She might be able to block that day out depending on when everything here gets locked down as far as dates go.

Celt

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2017, 07:47:55 PM »
 Temps are rising back up this week to high 90's by day mid 60's by night. With sunrise/sunset coming later were not far away from being bearable to downright comfortable and happy down there. I'm certainly up for multi day trips S/S/M kinda thing. We need to get another wood cutting party together so guys can keep their backsides warm by that night fire.

A little forum bump:

Thus far it looks like folks want to go to:

1. Truckhaven (I would be happy to lead this).
2. Coral Wash and Grave Wash in Ocotillo Wells OHV park, maybe play in either the Notches or Truckhaven.
3. 78 to S2 via Oriflamme trail, then past mudcaves and drop into Fish Creek via Diablo Drop Off trail.
4. Camp at Dos Cabezas and follow the railroad track on mountain bikes to Goat Canyon Trestle.
5. Apple pie run at Blair Valley (with hiking); Fish Creek / Sandstone Canyon (where we had them for the first seven or so); Buttes Pass area.
6. Red Rocks and in Spangler OHV area.
7. Pinyon Mtn (Twist my arm...Be happy to lead this)
8. Calcite mine then back down and across the valley to the Iron Door. (I would be happy to lead this)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 07:52:50 PM by Celt »

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 11:17:53 AM »
90's with lows in the 60's is comfortable to me.  >:D

I've been talking to a guy in Ridgecrest who knows the Spangler area pretty well.  We're going to try to firm up dates.  Mind you, this will only be minor wheeling, with mostly sight-seeing. 
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

pyrofox79

• 4wd Pts: 4
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 07:54:20 PM »
I'd be down. Sorry I've been absent celt, life gets in the way. Finally getting rid of the spacer life and getting a proper lift done here in the next couple weeks once the parts get in.

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 07:56:20 PM »
We need to get another wood cutting party together so guys can keep their backsides warm by that night fire.

Let me know when this is going down, I'd be up for chopping some wood.

Celt

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2017, 04:15:01 AM »
Let me know when this is going down, I'd be up for chopping some wood.

I will, I'll see if I can't combine it with a bbq or something like that.

FrankB

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2017, 10:49:27 PM »
I'm thinking of the weekend before Thanksgiving (i.e. either Sat 11/18 or Sun 11/19) for the eighth-or-ninth-or-so-more-or-less-annual Apple Pie Run to Anza Borrego Desert State Park.

Right now I'm leaning towards Saturday 11/18, but open to Sunday if more people feel they can make that day.

I'll post up an actual Xcursion thread later, but this thread seemed like a good place to hear if anyone has a strong preference as to day.  This run will probably be really easy, stock vehicle friendly, family and significant other friendly, and probably even 2WD friendly, as I'm thinking of Blair Valley again.  The spot we used for many years in Sandstone Canyon may not be as accessible, and Blair Valley has some nice hiking opportunities to walk off the pie and see some really nice scenery.  The last one we did was Blair Valley.

http://www.sccxterra.com/smf/index.php?topic=3432.msg39146#msg39146

Let me know what you think please.