Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Celt's trip to the Rubicon, formerly known as The anti-thread jack thread.  (Read 14686 times)

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Man, I get back from a little teeny tiny trip and into civilization and get greeted with all of this shenenagenery ..... 

Well done men, well done! 

>:D  8)  :D  O0                                       
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 12:27:27 PM by knightrider »
Isaiah 6:8

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
Re: Re: The anti-thread jack thread.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 09:44:32 AM »
Man, I get back from a little teeny tiny trip and into civilization and get greeted with all of this shenenagenery ..... 

Well done men, well done! 

>:D  8)  :D  O0                                     
How was that?
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

Celt

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 10:02:54 AM »
It was gnarly, hands down the toughest run I've ever done but that being said the best one to date. We have already made plans and reservations to go back next year.

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 10:04:50 AM »
It was gnarly, hands down the toughest run I've ever done but that being said the best one to date. We have already made plans and reservations to go back next year.

where'd ya go?  inquiring minds wanna know?!?!

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 10:38:16 AM »
Pictures or it didn't happen
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Celt

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 10:40:39 AM »
where'd ya go?  inquiring minds wanna know?!?!

We went up and ran the Rubicon.

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 10:45:30 AM »

holy crap man, bad ass!!!!! hope to see some pix!

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 11:08:35 AM »
That's awesome.  I figured it would go well for you all.
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

Celt

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 01:42:36 PM »
I'm trying to compile a bunch of pics and I'll post them up as soon as I can. I teamed up with a group from Santa Margaritta out there that was definitely some of the best folks you could ever hope to meet. Basically just like this group and had an absolute hoot. It was the toughest run I've done to date but absolutely loved every second of it. The Youtube videos do this run no justice at all. One of the things I appreciated the most was how Lesley handled everything. She kept quiet as a church mouse when things got dicey and was on the quick to keep the guys cooled off with cold drinks from the ice chest during the carnage repairs which were many. If any of you get the chance to do something like this don't hesitate, it was really amazing.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 07:03:17 PM »

Nice...that's an epic trail. I've heard and seen photos that some of the tougher sections were broken up and made less challenging.

What is your opinion of this?
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Celt

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 08:28:17 PM »
Nice...that's an epic trail. I've heard and seen photos that some of the tougher sections were broken up and made less challenging.

What is your opinion of this?

The Little Sleuce was broken up quite a bit but don't let that fool you too much because all the filler rock is super loose on top of the larger stuff lurking below just waiting to catch you not paying attention. The Youtube videos just don't do this trail justice at all. Any of the harder trails I've done in Moab now seem pretty tame although it's a totally different type of wheeling. This last winter really did a duzy on the run with all that melting snow really moving everything around. There was a nicely built up Taco right in front of us going through Cadillac Hill but it was a few inches skinnier on the way out. He had ran it two or three times in the previous years after talking to him but it really got a lot of body modifications. In my opinion to date this is the absolute toughest run I have ever wheeled but it was by leaps and bounds my most favorite. The trail fixes I was a part of and witnessed was amazing at the ingenuity to get vehicles back on the trail after some serious carnage and roll overs. If anyone gets the chance to do this trail I say jump on it because it's something you will never forget. It may take awhile but I'll post some of the pictures and videos on the site to see. The scenery is absolutely breathtaking and goes on for miles and miles. It's a photographers dream in many of those places. We as off roaders need to really get involved and stay involved to keep these amazing places open so future generations can get in and see this.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 10:46:21 PM »
The Little Sleuce was broken up quite a bit but don't let that fool you too much because all the filler rock is super loose on top of the larger stuff lurking below just waiting to catch you not paying attention. The Youtube videos just don't do this trail justice at all. Any of the harder trails I've done in Moab now seem pretty tame although it's a totally different type of wheeling. This last winter really did a duzy on the run with all that melting snow really moving everything around. There was a nicely built up Taco right in front of us going through Cadillac Hill but it was a few inches skinnier on the way out. He had ran it two or three times in the previous years after talking to him but it really got a lot of body modifications. In my opinion to date this is the absolute toughest run I have ever wheeled but it was by leaps and bounds my most favorite. The trail fixes I was a part of and witnessed was amazing at the ingenuity to get vehicles back on the trail after some serious carnage and roll overs. If anyone gets the chance to do this trail I say jump on it because it's something you will never forget. It may take awhile but I'll post some of the pictures and videos on the site to see. The scenery is absolutely breathtaking and goes on for miles and miles. It's a photographers dream in many of those places. We as off roaders need to really get involved and stay involved to keep these amazing places open so future generations can get in and see this.

That's awesome Erik, I've heard the trail is incredible too.

The $64,000 question:  did you run the Jeep or the Xterra?
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Celt

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 12:23:26 AM »
That's awesome Erik, I've heard the trail is incredible too.

The $64,000 question:  did you run the Jeep or the Xterra?

I took the Jeep, the Xterra as I have it modified would have made it through but it would have been a lot of work with a much higher risk of roll over. I have really spent a lot of time building my Xterra up and it's really capable but IFS has some real distinct limitations. Some of the obstacles had me at 30-35 degrees off camber lean. It gets really spooky around the 20 degree mark so those independent axles working together allowing all the wheels to get purchase on uneven ground was a huge piece of mind. As my Xterra sits now I can do the John Bull relatively painless but it's a whole lot slower and a heck of a lot more tippy in the front end and the rear axle is doing the lions share of the work. The turning radius is a lot less and that is something you really need on this type of run. In places like Moab the Xterra is king (Performs really well  ;D)but getting into this environment a SFA is really what's going to be necessary.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 09:01:09 AM by Celt »

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 07:25:19 AM »
I took the Jeep, the Xterra as I have it modified would have made it through but it would have been a lot of work with a much higher risk of roll over. I have really spent a lot of time building my Xterra up and it's really capable but IFS has some real distinct limitations. Some of the obstacles had me at 30-35 degrees off camber lean. It gets really spooky around the 20 degree mark so those independent axles working together allowing all the wheels to get purchase on uneven ground was a huge piece of mind. As my Xterra sits now I can do the John Bull relatively painless but it's a whole lot slower and a heck of a lot more tippy in the front end and the rear axle is doing the lions share of the work. The turning radius is a lot less and that is something you really need on this type of run. In places like Moab the Xterra is king but getting into this environment a SFA is really what's going to be necessary.

Agreed!

Class, repeat after me:

A-R-T-I-C-U-L-A-T-I-O-N

That's a pretty bold statement about the Xterra being the "King of Moab." 😉😉
KD6DCI

Celt

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 08:58:36 AM »
 In retrospect reading what I wrote the X isn't necessarily king but they come into their own and will perform much better in that type of environment with the longer wheelbase.