Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Holcomb Creek Trail  (Read 14659 times)

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Re: Holcomb Creek Trail
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2017, 08:10:00 AM »

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for peer pressuring me into this it was an awesome day, and it was awesome meeting new people.

Second, I'd like to thank everyone for being patient with my perpetual stucks. I win the golden winch award.

Finally, I'm happy everyone made it relatively unscathed. Until next time.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry so much about getting stuck as that seemed to happen to all of us. That's the nature of that trail it seems to me. I thought you did really well on it as it sure wasn't an easy run by any means. In the end it was a lot of fun. One of the things I thought was hysterical and wish I had a camera handy was when the Taco was backing down the hill and the bed of the truck was full of kids laughing like crazy they were having so much fun. That's the thing that really made this trip memorable to me.
Isaiah 6:8

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2017, 10:40:10 AM »
Well..... F' Holcomb
I got my ass handed to me. I had to winch 3 times, almost flopped my rig and broke a half shaft.
   It broke at the inner joint and the inner "cup" remained intact and attached to the front diff. This allowed the half shaft to remain fixed at the wheel and bounceing around in the inner cup.
   I kept it in 4wd, got off the trail and drove it all the way home.
   There was tons of mud which made rocks and tires slippery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Celt

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2017, 10:47:07 AM »
Well..... F' Holcomb
I got my ass handed to me. I had to winch 3 times, almost flopped my rig and broke a half shaft.
   It broke at the inner joint and the inner "cup" remained intact and attached to the front diff. This allowed the half shaft to remain fixed at the wheel and bounceing around in the inner cup.
   I kept it in 4wd, got off the trail and drove it all the way home.
   There was tons of mud which made rocks and tires slippery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

So does this mean you don't want to run it with me West to East in a couple weeks? ?

All joking aside, I'm very glad it snapped where it did vs. inside the differential and that you were able to get home with your family in good order. That was a really tough trail to say the least. It was really nice meeting your buddies, they were a lot of fun on the trail and seem like real stand up guys.

SoCalXTerry

• 4wd Pts: 54
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2017, 06:24:04 AM »
Thanks guys, for letting an old man and his crazy daughter tag along.   It really was fun.    Hot and dusty.   Thanks creek!!!!!   :D   But FUN!!!!!   We need to do it again soon...
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

Celt

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2017, 04:37:26 PM »
It was good to see you guys Terry, we had a great time!

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2017, 12:31:24 PM »
Crawled underneath the truck to make sure everything was still where it was supposed to be, it was, for the most part.  Fortunately, I didn't experience what happened to Toro, that I'm happy for and I'm happy he and the family were able to make it home okay.  However, all my drive shaft bolt heads have been "resized", both shock mounts and bolts are "clearanced", my stock gas tank skid is touching the tank (this is going to be my next mod, I've hit it at Last Chance too), more material is missing off my PRG diff cover (also need to get rid of this and get an ARB), my drive shaft looks like someone spun it on a lathe, and the soft metal dust seals on the driveshaft were bent and rubbing the DS as it spun, causing a sound in the rear that sounded like gravel in brakes.  I blame all of this on my inability to picture where everything is in relation to the obstacle.  This will get better with practice, though.  Learned another lesson, too, don't try to get on the same rocks that a skinnier first-gen just used.  Titan swap doesn't equal skinny.  All in all, for the amount of rocks I hit, I consider myself lucky.  When's the next run?  lol
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

Celt

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2017, 04:32:50 PM »
Crawled underneath the truck to make sure everything was still where it was supposed to be, it was, for the most part.  Fortunately, I didn't experience what happened to Toro, that I'm happy for and I'm happy he and the family were able to make it home okay.  However, all my drive shaft bolt heads have been "resized", both shock mounts and bolts are "clearanced", my stock gas tank skid is touching the tank (this is going to be my next mod, I've hit it at Last Chance too), more material is missing off my PRG diff cover (also need to get rid of this and get an ARB), my drive shaft looks like someone spun it on a lathe, and the soft metal dust seals on the driveshaft were bent and rubbing the DS as it spun, causing a sound in the rear that sounded like gravel in brakes.  I blame all of this on my inability to picture where everything is in relation to the obstacle.  This will get better with practice, though.  Learned another lesson, too, don't try to get on the same rocks that a skinnier first-gen just used.  Titan swap doesn't equal skinny.  All in all, for the amount of rocks I hit, I consider myself lucky.  When's the next run?  lol

Nothing like natures modifications. Look at the bright side those spots you mentioned are now nice and broken in so the next time you hit the rocks they should have plenty of clearance. At least that's what I always tell myself......... I don't think I have any trips in the works until after I come home from the Rubicon early August. If temperatures get a little lower up there I'd love to plan another trail to go play on the rocks.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 04:34:33 PM by Celt »

SoCalXTerry

• 4wd Pts: 54
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2017, 05:04:15 PM »
Dani had so much fun that we are talking of maybe just doing an "easy" one(just to get out in nature).  i.e.  Gold Mountain or Pontiac Sluice soon.   I'll keep you all
posted
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL