Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Rattlesnake Cyn May 13-14  (Read 11428 times)

occupantX

• 4wd Pts: 65535
Re: Rattlesnake Cyn May 13-14
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 10:12:14 AM »
If you guys don't have a HAM

I do HAM, Baofeng handheld but never figured out how to configure it to use repeaters. I'll try figure it out, any specific repeater you can suggest we try use that weekend?
The non-club non-member formerly known as sdcaKLR, 'cause you know..bananas

fiercextreme

• 4wd Pts: -10
    • 2015 xTERRA OVERLANDER MODEL!
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 12:13:00 PM »
So it's just follow the leader style, never done this trail how much extra fuel just 5gal?
With te while gps thing is that really needed since it's follow the leader style cause I just wana join for the trails and call it a day back south I go.

Yes 5 gallon should be fine, but 10 would be better for an emergency! A map is all you really need, but a GPS pinpoints your position so u can see where your going on the map as your going. Are u camping out as well or if I read it correctly u want to head home after the trails? Honestly we will still be on the trails when we stop for camp. Also my guess is it could be late by that time since we will be meandering thru trails looking for Celts group. I wouldnt recommend trying to find your way out the maze alone at night unless you have a good map and a good sense of direction. Even with my mad wheelin skills (lol) I wouldnt trust myself going anywhere offroad alone unless I had no choice. I could be overly cautious, but thats just me. Id say you always need a buddy on the trails. The other option is after 2N02 section we will hit some main roads in Big Bear for a quick moment, if u want to cut out then u will have the option and it may still be early enough to do what u need to do before heading back.
WARNING: P&P crossing a-head

valentin36

• 4wd Pts: 7
    • 2012 Nissan Xterra S
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 03:42:51 PM »
I'll contemplate now

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 08:44:32 PM »
I do HAM, Baofeng handheld but never figured out how to configure it to use repeaters. I'll try figure it out, any specific repeater you can suggest we try use that weekend?

Big Bear Rx=      147.330  147.930 + 131.8
                          147.645  147.045  - 103.5

Snow Summit=    145.260 144.660 - 103.5     <---Works really good up there call this repeater first.
Lake Arrowhead= 145.240 144.640 -118.8

We will be on simplex (146.535) between vehicles but can start at the top of the hour checks from say about noon on if you like with the repeaters.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:02:45 PM by Celt »
Isaiah 6:8

valentin36

• 2012 Nissan Xterra S
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 09:10:36 PM »
No clue what that repeater lingo is? Break it down I will only have a cb

Celt

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 04:51:10 AM »
No clue what that repeater lingo is? Break it down I will only have a cb

Without a 2M radio you wouldn't be able to hear or transmit on those frequencies. Basically what they are is different radio bands set aside on the 2M bandwidth that we transmit on. It goes through a repeater and the +/- with the corresponding number is a pulse tone to open up the repeater allowing them to work to retransmit what you are saying much farther than on simplex which is line of sight. With a repeater as long as your antenna can see the radio transmissions you can hear what being said and transmit which is what makes them so nice. A CB is purely line of sight with a low power band so they can obviously be problematic at times.  Look at it similar to frequency hopping using a MBTTR to a very small extent as an example.

valentin36

• 2012 Nissan Xterra S
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2017, 08:39:23 AM »
If I go I'll just follow whoever is in front of me with the window down haha easy fix

Celt

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 08:17:17 AM »
I just got off the horn with Ranger Greg. He recommended anything on the south shore of the lake. He was of the opinion that the N. side might be a lot more crowded and was of the opinion the S. side is a much better choice. Change 32, after the run head south.

fiercextreme

• 4wd Pts: -10
    • 2015 xTERRA OVERLANDER MODEL!
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 08:58:58 AM »
10-4. We will head south after 2N02. Let me know of some potential spots and we will hit them barring any Black Diamond runs, lol!
WARNING: P&P crossing a-head

Celt

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 09:15:41 AM »

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 10:14:06 AM »
Without a 2M radio you wouldn't be able to hear or transmit on those frequencies. Basically what they are is different radio bands set aside on the 2M bandwidth that we transmit on. It goes through a repeater and the +/- with the corresponding number is a pulse tone to open up the repeater allowing them to work to retransmit what you are saying much farther than on simplex which is line of sight. With a repeater as long as your antenna can see the radio transmissions you can hear what being said and transmit which is what makes them so nice. A CB is purely line of sight with a low power band so they can obviously be problematic at times.  Look at it similar to frequency hopping using a MBTTR to a very small extent as an example.

Minor thread jack here...but I wanted to springboard onto Celt's comments about ham radios, repeaters, and 2 meter transmitting.

Firstly...buy a Baofeng inexpensive 2 meter HT (ham lingo for "handy-talkie", aka hand held radio) so you can monitor trail comms and stay in the loop on SCCX runs.  Believe me, the radio chatter within the first 100 yards of the recent Bradshaw Trail Xcursion was worth the trip alone!  If you live in San Diego, visit Ham Radio Outlet to check out some of the inexpensive 2 meter options, or shop the Shame-a-zone for Baofengs here:

BaoFeng UV-5R HT Dual Band

For 25 dollars you get a great radio, and easy loop in to trail comms.  When you get time, study for your ham license (easier than a driving test, and could save your life some day....35 questions, 70 percent is passing, need I say more??) and then you unlock the keys to the cool kids club.

Secondly...repeaters are unique to amatuer radio, wherein they essentially boost you transmitted signal from a high point (usually a mountain top) and then re-broadcast over a specific area of coverage.  This process doubles or sometimes triples your transmission capabilities in distance...take that Children's Band!!!  ;)

I know CB is the easy option, but for the same price you would pay (actually less) for a full CB set up, you get crystal clear trail comms and a peek into the window of amateur radio.  PLUS...when you get your license, you get a really cool federally issued call sign.

As you can tell, I am a strongly supportive advocate for ham/amateur radio licensing, and the hobby in general (pun intended, you'll get it when you check out the different classes of licensing :D :D :D)

So consider this option, becuase you won't regret it. 

We have 40+ hams in this "not a club/club," which started out with less than a half dozen.

Have fun, please feel free to PM me any questions you have, as I'm happy to help!!

John/Ghost65

...end Thread Jack.  8)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 10:23:51 AM by Ghost65 »
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Celt

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 10:30:07 AM »
Minor thread jack here...but I wanted to springboard onto Celt's comments about ham radios, repeaters, and 2 meter transmitting.

Firstly...buy a Baofeng inexpensive 2 meter HT (ham lingo for "handy-talkie", aka hand held radio) so you can monitor trail comms and stay in the loop on SCCX runs.  Believe me, the radio chatter within the first 100 yards of the recent Bradshaw Trail Xcursion was worth the trip alone!  If you live in San Diego, visit Ham Radio Outlet to check out some of the inexpensive 2 meter options, or shop the Shame-a-zone for Baofengs here:

BaoFeng UV-5R HT Dual Band

For 25 dollars you get a great radio, and easy loop in to trail comms.  When you get time, study for your ham license (easier than a driving test, and could save your life some day....35 questions, 70 percent is passing, need I say more??) and then you unlock the keys to the cool kids club.

Secondly...repeaters are unique to amatuer radio, wherein they essentially boost you transmitted signal from a high point (usually a mountain top) and then re-broadcast over a specific area of coverage.  This process doubles or sometimes triples your transmission capabilities in distance...take that Children's Band!!!  ;)

I know CB is the easy option, but for the same price you would pay (actually less) for a full CB set up, you get crystal clear trail comms and a peek into the window of amateur radio.  PLUS...when you get your license, you get a really cool federally issued call sign.

As you can tell, I am a strongly supportive advocate for ham/amateur radio licensing, and the hobby in general (pun intended, you'll get it when you check out the different classes of licensing :D :D :D)

So consider this option, becuase you won't regret it. 

We have 40+ hams in this "not a club/club," which started out with less than a half dozen.

Have fun, please feel free to PM me any questions you have, as I'm happy to help!!

John/Ghost65

...end Thread Jack.  8)

Thread jack away Sir!

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2017, 12:31:31 PM »
As self appointed Supreme BOD, I approve the above Thread Jack O0
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2017, 02:33:34 PM »
Minor thread jack here...

...Believe me, the radio chatter within the first 100 yards of the recent Bradshaw Trail Xcursion was worth the trip alone!...

Please stop tainting this thread with your threadjack  lol lol lol

occupantX

• 4wd Pts: 65535
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2017, 05:17:30 PM »
If we cannot find a YP, we could always try Tip Top Mountain. Easily fit 6 to 8 vehicles.  My 2Runner buddy made it up there, I did have to pull him through one rutted area where he got stuck, but I think he took the wrong line and should have made it.
Pics from previous SCCX trip:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Tip Top mountain is off 2N02 : https://goo.gl/maps/13fS2WyjQu32
I don't know if fires are allowed

Another option is the Juniper Springs Group campground : https://goo.gl/maps/GvGZJBiooxE2
This is also close to 2N02, allows 8 vehicles and 40 persons, have fire-ring and vault toilet.
The non-club non-member formerly known as sdcaKLR, 'cause you know..bananas