Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: I'm wanting an awning, I think.  (Read 4670 times)

beedee

I'm wanting an awning, I think.
« on: February 08, 2017, 04:48:50 PM »
I've been poking around a little bit on the subject and was wondering the best way to mount them without spending a grip of money on the mounts. I've seen some pretty pricey set ups out there.

Thanks!

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Re: I'm wanting an awning, I think.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 07:52:33 AM »
Which came first...the awning or the roof rack?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

JeffBett

• 4wd Pts: 26
    • 06 Xterra
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 08:01:49 AM »
I just got an awning yesterday and I will be mounting with muffler clamps attached to the L bracket that came with it.  There are some images o this setup on TheNewX

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019ICGIQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would like to find a way to have a quick disconnect perhaps with a paddle lock so I can easily remove it when I am not going off roading to keep it out of the sun/weather and eliminate a theft factor.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 08:06:21 AM by JeffBett »

beedee

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 10:31:01 AM »
Which came first...the awning or the roof rack?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In my case, the awning will. Drop-in RR's for our Xterras are redonkulously expensive.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 12:34:57 PM »
In my case, the awning will. Drop-in RR's for our Xterras are redonkulously expensive.

If you're looking for drop-in rack, and you're ever in Arizona, there's a guy out there who makes his own. They look to be great quality and the price is great. Alot of the AZXC guys run his drop-in model, and I think they're about $200. Again, if you're ever out that way, you'll avoid the shipping, too, which is a major piece of the cost of ordering one.

That said, a drop-in rack doesn't exactly make it easier to mount an awning. In some cases, it could actually make it harder or not possible at all  (if you're using a muffler clamp or other tube clamp style option). For now, with a stock rack, the muffler clamp/L bracket option above is probably your least expensive and easiest route. If you can get your hands on some of the Yakima X-tower mounts, this will be a much easier job. Those mounts are harder and harder to find now that they've been out of production for a few years, and they're usually pretty expensive when you do find them. You'll need at least two of them (obviously), and maybe even three or more depending on the length of your awning.

CVXTERRA

• 4wd Pts: 18
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 03:40:54 PM »
DO IT!!! this is the absolute favorite thing I have done for my X. I get tons of use out of mine and with the attached room, it is great for camping and other occasions. As JFanaselle said, the Yakima X tower mounts are the best way to go. I was lucky enough to get them from another sccx member and met up with toro to get a quick bracket fabricated.

http://www.sccxterra.com/smf/index.php?topic=3639.0

this may give you a quick reference on how to get it stuck to the side of our unique roof bars. Also, depending on the location of the drop in basket's mounts, these should work together.

beedee

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 09:48:21 AM »
Thank you for all of the great information guys!

Kjswa

• 4wd Pts: 10
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road manual
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 08:41:37 AM »
I've been poking around a little bit on the subject and was wondering the best way to mount them without spending a grip of money on the mounts. I've seen some pretty pricey set ups out there.

Thanks!

I ordered a 8X6' smittybuilt off eBay. Came with all the hardware needed. The muffler clamps, u bolts whatever you call them were to small. Quick trip to fastenal and I got a stainless set. Works great & will never rust. Awning showed its value in Big Bear last month. It's a must have

beedee

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 08:50:38 AM »
I ordered a 8X6' smittybuilt off eBay. Came with all the hardware needed. The muffler clamps, u bolts whatever you call them were to small. Quick trip to fastenal and I got a stainless set. Works great & will never rust. Awning showed its value in Big Bear last month. It's a must have

Great info, thanks! Where is Fastenal at?

Kjswa

• 4wd Pts: 10
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road manual
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 09:08:37 AM »
Great info, thanks! Where is Fastenal at?

They are all over. One on Beach 3 minutes off 405 is a good one. Super nice folks if they don't have it they'll order it. If you're not familiar fastenal is basically just a bolts & fastener store.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 11:08:56 AM »

Thanks!

Just saw one of these at work...pretty slick unit and fairly priced.  Biggest benefit is mounting...directly to factory or proprietary cross bars, which I am assuming covers the Xterra factory rack cross bars.

$260...not bad.

Yakima Slim Shady

Looks like Yakima is going full gangsta...they also offer the Dr. Tray hitch mounted bike rack.  :D
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.